Confession

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

The buddies went back to their table with the Aftershock bucket in Zee's hands.

"Let's have some fun tonight, guys," said Zee, putting the bucket down at the center of the table.

"Wow, are we really drinking that?" asked Shone.

"Yes, we will." Zee winked. "Sometimes binge drinking has a purpose, guys," she added, looking at Kim.

Nam picked up a shot glass from the bucket and realized what was brought to them. "Wow, Zee. You really wanna get smashed up tonight?"

"Well, it's not every day we get to see each other, Nam. Let's just enjoy this," said Zee.

"But you're still driving home, aren't you?" Nam reminded.

"I changed my mind. I'll be getting a room here for tonight."

"Yeah, you better. I don't want drunk-driving accidents happening anymore," Nam chuckled after saying that.

Zee burst into a loud guffaw. She raised her arm to high-five Nam. "That's my girl!"

"Jeez, you guys are bullying me," said Kim. She sat beside Pie.

"Are you going to drink too, Pie?" Zee asked, handling a shot glass to Kim.

Pie smiled hesitantly. "I have low alcohol tolerance. I don't want Kim carrying me back to our room later."

"Oh, c'mon. Let's all get wasted tonight," Zee insisted, raising another shot glass for Pie to take.

"Nah, let's not force her to drink," Kim butted to rescue. "Remember the last time she got drunk in your bar? She couldn't walk on her own because her legs were numb. The next morning, she can't remember a thing that happened."

"Ah really?" Zee while rubbed her chin. "Well, that's a weird trait."

"Yeah, let Pie pass for now so she could carry Kim back to their room," Shone said which was followed by laughter.

Pie pulled Kim by her arm. "Shone has a point. If Kim is planning to drink, I might as well watch over her later."

Zee's eyebrows rose. "Oooh, that's so sweet of you, Pie." She gave Kim a quick glance.

Kim knew what it meant. She turned to Pie when she felt the latter taps her arm. "Hmm?"

Pie leaned closer and lowered her voice, "What took you so long? You left me here alone."

This is one of those moments when Kim feels like they aren't pretending. "Sorry, um... Zee and I had a short talk."

"Just don't leave me again like that. Take me with you then," said Pie, unaware that she's jutting her lower lip out.

Kim knew that this is a good sign for her confession later. Who knows, Pie might say yes to her right away.

---

After two hours...

Nam, Kim and Zee we're all talking and laughing like wasted drunkards. Shone only had few shots. He doesn't want to drink that much because of his early schedule tomorrow. Nam had several shots too but refused to drink more when she felt tipsy. Kim and Zee were the ones who consumed all the remaining liquor. The bar was about to close that night and they've all decided to go back to their rooms.

"So... we had a blast guys..." said Zee, trying hard to get up from her chair. She walked towards Kim and Pie to give both a hug. "I totally enjoyed this night."

"Where are you going?" asked Pie.

"I need to go ahead, I gotta book a room now..." Zee walked towards Nam and Shone this time, struggling to maintain her balance.

"You're gonna... book... a room? Can you... even walk... without stumbling?" Kim is still trying to act cool but she's so wasted at the moment. She knows she got it so bad this time because the room won't stop spinning.

"How about you, how are you feeling now?" asked Pie, leaning closer to Kim, trying to get a view of her face.

"I'm so dizzy, baby. Ugh... I feel nauseous actually..." said Kim, resting her head against her arms.

Pie ruffled Kim's hair. "Let's get back to our room then. Can you even walk?"

"I don't know... just give me few more minutes... I'm so dizzy, really..."

Zee went to hug Nam and Shone too. "Happy birthday, Nammy... I had a great night..."

"Thanks. You sure you can book a room yourself?" Nam asked.

Zee waved her hand. "I got it..." She raised her thumb for an okay sign. She tried to take few steps but she's having difficulties in balancing. She ended up holding onto a chair to support herself.

"I think you better assist her, Shone," Nam suggested, raising her head from her boyfriend's shoulder.

"Yeah, I think you're right. Could you come with me?" asked Shone.

"I'm dizzy... Could you help her book a room first and pick me up here after?"

Shone was hesitant to do it alone. Then he saw Pie rubbing Kim's back. "Pie, could you help me assist Zee for a while?"

Pie was hesitant at first because she knew Kim and Nam will be left alone. But when she saw Nam resting on the table, she felt at ease. "Yeah, sure."

Pie rose up from her chair but Kim grabbed her arm. "Make it quick, honey... okay? I've got something to tell you..."

Pie smiled to herself. "I will, honey."

---

Shone and Pie went to the hotel reception and helped Zee sit on the couch first. Zee closed her eyes after resting her head on the backrest.

"Alright. I'll talk to the receptionist to book a room for her. I'll be back," said Shone.

"Okay, I'll just stay here to look after her," said Pie. She may look calm but her thoughts are wandering far away on the other person she left.

Unfortunately, due to some unknown circumstances, booking a room at this hour is taking them more time than the usual. Pie is staring at the wall clock near the entrance. They have been waiting there for more than fifteen minutes and Shone is still talking to the staff.

"Tsk." Pie rubbed her neck irritably.

"You seem to be weary..." Zee murmured from the side.

"Oh, you're still awake?" Pie turned to look at Zee. "I'm just wondering why it's taking them so long this time."

Zee slightly tilted her head to observe Pie. "You look like you're worried about something else..."

"Uh, well... I'm just worried about Kim. I left here alone there with Nam..."

"They wouldn't go anywhere, Pie, they're both drunk..."

"Yeah, but Kim is waiting for me to get back there."

A smile drew on Zee's face. She shifted her body to one side to face Pie. "Are you really worried about Kim or are you more worried about the idea that Nam is alone with her?"

"Huh?" Pie surely heard that loud and clear but pretended that she didn't.

"I'm just wondering..." Zee's words were more slurred this time, "you two were only pretending in front on Nam, right?"

"Y-yeah... why?"

Zee pointed a finger at Pie's henna tattoo. "Then why do I feel like everything is real?"

Pie was dumbfounded with the question. She doesn't know the answer herself. She stared at Zee who's completely passed out now.

Is she really drunk?

---

Kim was still resting her head on the table when she felt someone sat beside her. She d for that person's hand and squeezed it. "Pie... let's go back to our room now... I've got something important to tell you..." For whatever reason, she feels like it doesn't matter what Pie will say, she's completely prepared to tell her feelings tonight.

"She isn't here yet, Kimmy," said Nam, squeezing back Kim's hand.

Kim raised her head and let go of Nam's hand immediately. "Oh... sorry..." She went back resting her head on the table as the gravity is pulling her head down. "I didn't know it was you..."

"The bar is about to close now. C'mon, let's go."

"No..." Kim refused, "I'm gonna wait for Pie here..."

"Well, I'm gonna assist you to Pie, Kimmy. C'mon now..."

"Let's just wait for her to get back, Nammy... I don't want Pie seeing us together alone..."

Nam sighed. "I'll bring you to her, I promise. Shone and Pie left thirty minutes ago and they haven't returned yet. Maybe something happened in the reception. Let's meet up with them."

Kim slightly raised her head. "You sure they're still there?"

A waiter called Nam's attention signaling that they are already closing. She went back to Kim. "C'mon now, the staff here already asked us to leave."

"Oh... okay..." Kim slowly rose up from her chair. The entire room is still spinning, making her slightly loose her balance. "Ooops..."

"Oh, Kim..." Nam put her arms around Kim's waist to help her. "Can you walk?"

"I can..." Kim smiled at Nam, putting her left arm around the latter's shoulder. "This is like the old days, huh?"

"You used to drink a lot before instead of going to school."

"And you used to pick me up every single time, right?"

"Yeah, you're really a spoiled brat." Nam chuckled as she leads Kim to walk out of that place.

---

Shone approached Pie. His irritation is obvious even with his angelic face. "Phew. They are having some system issues."

"Is it okay now?"

"I'm still waiting for the approval. How's she by the way?"

Pie looked at Zee. "She's completely passed out."

"Geez, they really got it bad." Shone shoved his hands into his pockets and turned to look outside. "I wonder how Nam and Kim are doing now..."

Me too.

Pie's eyes wandered somewhere else. The thought of Kim being alone with Nam right now hasn't left her mind since she sat on that couch.

"Mr. Shone?" the staff called their attention. Shone excused himself and approached the receptionist.

Pie saw the receptionist handling a key card to Shone.

Sigh. Finally.

Shone went back to them with the keycard on his hand. "Her room's on the 3rd floor. Let's get her there now."

---

"Where are they?" Nam mumbled when they get in the lobby area.

"Urgh..." Kim covered with a hand.

"Hey, are you throwing up?" Nam panicked.

Kim placed another hand on her stomach. Her eyes are closed as if she's hoping that it won't happen yet.

"What's wrong, Kimmy?" Nam asked again. They stopped walking for a second.

After few seconds the nauseous feeling had subsided. Kim felt relieved. "Please take me straight to my room, Nam, before I vomit here..."

"Okay, try to hold it though for a little while. I don't want you throwing up in the elevator." Nam led Kim to walk.

---

"Phew! Thanks for the help, Pie," said Shone, feeling relieved. "I wouldn't be able to do this without you."

 

Pie was sitting on the bed and just finished tucking Zee. "Why, you're feeling awkward doing this?"

"Yeah, she's still a female after all." Shone smiled shyly. "I hope I didn't bother you that much though."

"No problem, it's not every day the three of them gets reunited like this." Pie smiled sweetly. She's relaxed now because she knows they can go back to Nam and Kim.

Shone glanced at his wristwatch. "We've been gone too long now. We better go back."

"Yes, I think we should now."

---

After Nam opened the door, Kim ran straight to the bathroom.

"Uuurrrrghhhh..." Kim throws it all down in the sink just in time.

Nam stood by the door, shaking her head. She switched on the faucet for Kim.

Kim washed her face after throwing up. The dizziness had partly subsided because of that. She slowly slid down the tiled wall into a sitting position.

Nam walked towards Kim. She bent down and brushed her fingers on Kim's hair. "Are you okay, Kim?"

Although everything is still spinning for her, Kim felt something after hearing that line from Nam. She looked straight into Nam's eyes. "Nammy..."

"C'mon, I'll help you to bed."

---

Sorry, we're closed.

Pie and Shone saw the board sign on the door. They looked at each other with questioning eyes.

"Mr. Shone..." a man called from behind. They both turned.

"Hey Paul," said Shone. "Have you seen Nam?"

"I think I saw Ms. Nam assisting her friend in the lobby ten minutes ago," Paul said, pointing at the hotel's direction.

Shone and Pie looked at each other again. "Do you think they went back to our rooms by themselves?" asked Shone.

"I think so. Nam isn't as drunk as Zee and Kim," Pie answered.

"By the way, Mr. Shone, I need to talk to you something concerning tomorrow's shoot." Paul handed out a paper.

Shone reviewed the papers and discussed things with Paul. Pie, on the other hand, is really bothered with the idea that Kim is alone with Nam now.

Where could have Nam taken you, Kim?

---

"How are you feeling?" Nam asked after tucking Kim to bed.

"My head... it's aching terribly..."

"I better go back to my room now, Kimmy. I don't want your girlfriend to see us in this situation," said Nam, standing up from the bed. She was about to walk when Kim grabbed her by her arm.

"Pie..."

"Huh?" Although she knows that Kim is looking for Pie, Nam didn't fight back when Kim pulled her to sit back on the bed.

"I... I need to tell you something..."

Nam waited for Kim to continue.

"I... I... I'm... I'm in love... with you..." Kim spoke softly under her breath.

Nam smiled. She cupped Kim's face with a hand. "You better go to sleep now, sweet-lover."

Kim didn't react anymore and started making little snores.

There was a long silence in the room. The sound of the central air conditioning running is what produces 'noise' at that moment. It's past midnight and the entire hotel is now quiet.

Nam stayed in the same position for few more minutes, staring at Kim. She was ruffling Kim's hair affectionately when she heard a movement by the door entrance.

"Erhm..."

Nam removed her hand right away and stood up. "Uh... Pie..." She saw the petite lady leaning against the door frame with her arms folded on her chest. "I had to take Kim here because the bar staff told us that they are already closing."

"Mmm-mmm..." Pie nodded. She walked towards the bed to check on Kim.

Nam moved aside to give way. "We thought that we could find you in the lobby but we were wrong. I had to take Kim here straight because she feels like vomiting."

Pie fixed the blanket on Kim's body before she turns to Nam. "How was she earlier?"

"She threw up in the bathroom when we got in. She was so wasted."

"Oh, okay." Pie nodded again and went back to check on Kim's temperature with her hand.

"Where is Shone, by the way?"

"I left him with a guy named Paul downstairs. I think they are talking about the photo shoot tomorrow."

"Oh, I see."

"Thanks, Nam. Thanks for assisting Kim here."

"Don't worry about it."

There was an awkward silence in the room after.

"By the way," Nam broke the silence, "I'd like to thank you for bothering yourselves to come here for my birthday, Pie."

Pie raised an eyebrow. She's not sure if Nam was serious or not.

"I know you have plans that you canceled just to make it here today," Nam added, sounding sincere. "I just want to let you know that I really, really, really appreciate that."

Pie felt Nam's sincerity, but she didn't let her guard down. "It's okay, it's your birthday. Kim wouldn't let it pass like that anyway."

Nam forced a smile. "It might be hard to believe it, but Kim, she doesn't want to be here, Pie. I know it, I've felt it."

Pie somehow felt bad for Nam knowing that she was right. Kim didn't really want to go there in the first place.

Nam shifted her gaze on the floor. "She's only here because of you. That's why I'd have to thank you for that, for dragging her along here. It means a lot to me."

Pie pressed her lips together while thinking of what to say. She feels like she's talking to a different Nam now, a completely different person from the one she talked to last week. Maybe this is the Nammy that Kim once admired so much.

Because of the silence, Nam thought that Pie isn't interested in talking to her. "I, uh, I guess I better get going now. Thanks again, Pie," she said, receiving a feign smile from Pie. She walked to the door when she remembered something. "Oh, and..." she paused for a second.

"Mmm?"

"I know you never expect to hear this from me, but... thanks... thanks for being there for Kim."

Again, Pie was dumbfounded with Nam's different character today.

"It may not seem like it, but Kim, she's always alone and lonely," said Nam. "You might not believe it but I'm happy knowing that there's someone like you taking care of her now."

Nam's eyes reflected her sincerity. Pie was mute with guilt. Everything Nam is thankful right now is only a play, a show, an act, with the sole purpose of finding out if Nam still has feelings for Kim.

"Umm, I should really go now," said Nam, turning to walk towards the door.

"Why did you leave her, Nam?" asked Pie. Her curiosity kicked in. She doesn't want to let the opportunity pass.

Nam, on the other hand, halted at an instant, frozen with the question thrown at her.

"Didn't you love her?" Pie added.

It took few more seconds before Nam slowly turned her body to Pie. Her face was serious and calm like she's ready to confess something.

Pie felt the fast thud of her heart in her chest. She took a deep breath to prepare herself for the answer.

Dug! Dug!

Dug! Dug!

Dug! Dug!

Nam ran her fingers through her hair before answering, "I did, Pie. I did."