Back

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

December 31st – Bangkok

After visiting her late dad's grave, Pie and her mom went directly to her cousin's place. That's their usual routine during that time of the year. They used to live in that village until her dad died. They had to transfer house because her mom was having a hard time coping up, remembering every single memory of her dad in their previous abode.

"Pie, come down now, lunch is ready.”

"In a while, mom."

Pie is currently lying on her cousin's bed, staring at the ceiling. It's weird. She never hated holidays before. But now it feels like a great sacrifice to do nothing and wait for two more days before she'd be busy again.

Sigh. I'm so bored.

"Pie?"

Pie turned her attention to the voice and saw her cousin standing beside the door. "Hey, Meena."

"What's up?" Meena climbed on the bed and lay prone beside her.

"Nothing. I'm just... bored."

"Why? We do this every year, why are you so bored today?"

Pie played her fingers on her tummy while thinking of what to say. "I don't know. I just wish that there's no holiday."

Meena laughed. "Hey, doppelganger, tell me where my real cousin is."

Pie's eyes almost disappeared when she laughed. "No, seriously, I wish I had work today."

"Seriously? Do you hear what you're saying?" Meena's eyebrows crossed. She can't believe the things her cousin is saying now.

"I just feel bored, that's all."

"Mmm, is there something different in your office this year that wasn't there last year?"

"What do you mean?"

"Did you get a new crush or something?"

Pie felt a sudden shiver in her spine. She had to laugh to let the shiver out. She can't understand why the first person that came to her mind with what Meena asked is Kim.

"No, it's not crush, Meena."

That’s so impossible.

"Not crush, but there is someone, right?" asked Meena skeptically.

"It's not like what you're thinking…"

Yeah, it's not like that.

Meena playfully hit Pie's left arm. "Hey, are you keeping secrets from me? Are you in love, Pie?"

The question made Pie cringe even more. "I'm not, you, silly."

"Fine, fine. But I don't believe you."

Pie stared at Meena and rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

"Well... speaking of crush," said Meena, moving her face closer, "I heard someone just got back here."

Pie's mind was still lingering on the word crush and why Kim was on her mind when she heard that. She didn't understand what Meena said.

"Mmm?"

"Do you remember your all-time-biggest-crush when you used to live here?" asked Meena.

Pie was taken aback for a moment. She had to recollect thoughts first from her forgotten childhood memories. "What do you mean?"

"Gosh, Pie, don't tell me you've forgotten Mike?"

"Mike?" Then suddenly, fragments from her childhood memories flashed in her mind instantly.

Pie's family was living in that village until she was fourteen years old. Growing up as an only child, Pie's favorite leisure is to play with her cousin, Meena, who happens to be an only child as well. They were very close to the point that they share everything. They play with the same toys, wear the same dresses, they have the same lunchbox, and they even went to the same school. Meena is like a sister and a best friend to her.

Just a few blocks from their house is a family friend with two sons whose ages are almost the same with her and Meena. The brothers are Golf and Mike. Golf is the older one and the jolly type while Mike is the opposite. They used to play with each other when they were younger. But as they grew up they only see each other on family events or occasions.

Being a child, Pie had developed a major crush on Mike since the day she can't remember. And since it’s their families’ tradition to have lunch altogether every New Year’s Eve, that affection somehow remained even after she moved out from that place. She can’t remember when exactly she got over her feelings for Mike. Maybe it went away when she entered college and got busy with school stuff. Plus, Mike’s entire family moved out from that village too because his dad was reassigned to a different location.

"Yeah, Golf and Mike, remember?" asked Meena.

"Y-yeah." Pie looked away. She didn't know how to handle the rush of nostalgia in her chest. "When did they get back here?"

"Just last week. I heard their dad wants to retire and is planning on putting up a business. Both their sons are now working so they've got nothing much to worry about finances."

Pie is a bit confused with what she's feeling. A while ago she was thinking about Kim and now hearing Mike's name gave her the same feeling of what she's having before. Then she remembered something they usually do that day.

"Wait, don't tell me they're joining us for lunch?"

Meena's eyes crinkled. "Yes. They are waiting for us downstairs. I came here because your mom asked me to drag you down."

Pie's eyes widened.

Oh, no.

---

Meena went down first after Pie confirmed that she's about to go down too. The truth is she's not prepared. Thinking about Mike's presence in the same house made her fidgety. It went worse when she's by the stairs and is now hearing murmurs from men whose voices she hasn't heard in a long time.

She took a deep breath and few more steps down until she saw everyone.

"Oh, there you are, Pie," her mom called right away, putting an arm on her shoulder and leading her to the couch where the members of the old family friend are sitting. "Look who's back."

Pie glanced at the entire family but focused her eyes on the parents. She's seeing the brothers from her peripheral vision. "Good morning everyone," she said with a wai.

"Wow, is that really you, Pie? You've grown so beautiful, darling," the mother said. "You used to be pretty when you're little but now you're just more beautiful."

Pie forced a smile because she was too shy. "Thank you."

"Do you have a boyfriend, Pie?" the father asked this time.

Her mom answered on her behalf, "None. Pie has always been choosy in dating men. How about yours, are your sons still singles?"

Oh, mom, please don't do that.

Pie wanted to exit the scene right away. She knows where the conversation is heading. Her mom is completely aware of her crush on Mike before.

"Golf is always not available. He's never been single the moment I allowed him to date," the father answered right away.

Golf threw a pillow to his dad. "C'mon, pops, that's embarrassing!"

"Hahaha!" The father's laugh was too loud that it echoed in the whole house. Then he continued, "Mike, on the other hand, is single. He just recently broke up with his longtime girlfriend."

"This is awkward," muttered Mike, looking away.

Pie was unaware that she's already staring at Mike. It made her remember the reasons why she'd liked him before: that snobbish aura, his poker-faced expression, his dull eyes, his introverted personality, and whatever he does is everything for her before. Same old reasons but enough reasons for her to like him again.

Golf stood up and approached her. "Look at you, huh, still beautiful! I remember having a crush on you when we were children," he said, messing up her hair with a hand.

Golf's cheerful approach brought back the feeling when they were still little. Pie smacked him in the stomach. "I knew it, that's why you keep on teasing me, huh?"

Golf laughed, turning to his family quick and going back to Pie after. "Yeah, but that went away immediately because you're so ill-tempered."

Pie hit him on the arm this time. "Hmp!"

Mike stood up as well to join the conversation. He put his left arm on his brother's shoulder. "Don't listen to him, Pie. He never had a steady crush. Up until now he always changes girlfriends from time to time."

"Man, you're ruining my moment here," Golf complained.

Pie was giggling while looking at the brothers. Although there were changes, they are still the old playmates she used to have. "You guys just got taller but everything's just the same."

Both guys looked at her. Golf answered her back, "Yeah, you're still the same Pie even in terms of height. Hahaha!"

The lunch went well for everyone. Everybody was laughing when they talked about the things that happened before, reminiscing about the used-to-be-kids that are grown-ups now. It was just as good as the old days. It was dusk when Mike's family bid them goodbye and wished them happy New Year.

Pie was so happy that day. The bored-to-death mood she had earlier disappeared with the presence of Mike's family. It didn't take her too long to admit that she's starting to fancy Mike again. He's just the same old Mike that she used to like before, plus her mother's obvious approval for pairing them up made it easier for Pie to admit it to herself.

---

January 1st – Bangkok

It's already one o'clock in the morning and the ear-popping noise of firecrackers had subsided. Pie was alone again in the room while her mom, aunt, and Meena are still busy chatting downstairs. She faked her tiredness to excuse herself. After having lunch earlier, everyone in her family, including Mike's, has been teasing and pairing them up.

She can't deny that at some point she likes Mike, but it doesn't mean that she wants them to be together. Mike, on the other hand, was just silent each time the topic between Pie and him is raised.

Sigh. Just one more boring day before everything goes back to normal.

Even though she enjoyed the entire day her cravings to go back to the office is still there when she's alone. She saw her old turtle stuffed toy on the bed. It was the one she used to bring with her all the time when she was little. She had to leave the turtle behind when they moved to another house because of Meena's request.

She grabbed the turtle and stared at it for a moment. She couldn't explain why but turtles are now reminding her of Kim. She hugged the turtle and closed her eyes hoping sleep will come to her soon.

Mmmm.-mmmmm... mmmmm-mmmmm... mmmmm-mmmm...

Pie's reverie was interrupted when she felt her phone vibrate under her pillow.

Who could be calling me at this hour?

She grabbed her phone to check who it is. After her eyes adjusted from the sudden light of the phone, she saw a long list of numbers displayed on her screen. The caller isn’t in her contacts list yet.

She answered the phone with hesitation, "H-hello?"

"Hey, there..."

Pie aroused from the bed due to shock. Of all the people she knew, this is the least one she's expecting to call her.

"Pie? Are you there?"

"K-Kim, is that really you?"

"Yeah. Were you expecting someone else?"

"No, no. I'm just... surprised..." Pie felt her heartbeat thud under her hand. Surprisingly she was glad to hear Kim's voice.

"Are you already sleeping? I apologize if I'm of any interruption. I'm gonna make this quick, don't worry."

"No, no. It's fine. I'm not sleeping yet."

"Oh, that's a relief. Anyway, I’m just calling to greet you Happy New Year…”

"Happy New Year, Kim,” said Pie, grabbing the turtle and looking at it.

"I just called Jane, Van, and the others earlier, just to greet them too."

Pie felt slightly disappointed. "Mmm. Why are you calling everyone?"

"Let's just say it's my way of thanking the important people that made my year complete."

Pie's lips curved to a semi-smile. "You mean I'm one of those important people in your life?"

"Of course. It's not every day that someone scolds me for having a burger for breakfast and then brings me breakfast the following day, right?"

Pie couldn’t control her laughter this time. She tried to keep it low though to make sure the people downstairs won't hear her.

"Who else are you going to call after this?" she asked. Partly she’s wondering if Kim had also called Nam.

"No one. You're the last person I'll be calling today."

"Oh. I guess I'm the least important person in your 'important list', am I correct?"

"It's not like that. I'm pretty sure you're familiar with the line 'save the best for last', right?"

Pie bit her lip and pinched the turtle to prevent herself from producing any weird sound while on the phone. "Always the sweet-talker, hmmm."

"Hey, I'm not sweet-talking. Truth is I was really planning to call you first but I don't have your number."

"It's because you never asked for it. Too bad, you're really slow, Kim, always," said Pie, pointing at the turtle, pretending that it’s Kim.

"I was afraid to ask for your number before because you might interpret it in another way. Remember, you accused me of being flirtatious?"

"Then how did you get my number?"

"I had to call Jane first and ask for it."

"Okay. And who did you call next, after Jane?"

"I called Van, Puey, and then Nerd."

Pie toppled the turtle. "See? I was really last on your list. You didn't call me right after talking to Jane."

Kim's laughter echoed on the line. "Okay, fine. I got your number from Jane but I was afraid to call you right away."

"Afraid? Why? I don't bite…”

"Yeah, I know you don't. And you can't even if you want to. Maybe I'm just afraid that you might not be interested in talking to me right now."

"And where did you get that notion?"

"I don't know.... It's just a guess. Am I wrong…?"

"Oh c'mon, Kim. You should be the first person to know that you're wrong. Have you forgotten that we talked alone in the resort? And in your place? Then we chatted —" Pie paused for a moment, remembering her embarrassment during that chat, "— then we also talked when we had breakfast, and now we're talking again. If I didn't want to talk to you these things will never happen."

"Okay. That's was a long explanation. Let me rephrase that to one sentence. So, you mean you love talking to me?"

Pie gazed at the turtle she's holding. Her eyes wondered with what she realized. "I… I guess I... I do..."

There was a sudden silence on the other line.

"Kim?" Pie had to look at the screen of her phone to make sure that the line wasn't cut or disrupted.

"I'm still here."

"W-why do you sound so joyful now?"

"Oh, do I?"

"Yeah. Are you talking to somebody else there?"

"Mmm, no. Just you."

"You're getting crazy." Pie chuckled. "What time is it there now?"

"Well, I'm an hour ahead of you so it's past two o'clock here."

"Then why aren't you sleeping yet?"

"I'm not yet sleepy, princess. Besides, work is still the day after tomorrow. I can just stay up until morning."

Pie had to admit that she somehow missed hearing that endearment from Kim. "Are you having a good time there with your dad?"

"Yeah. We were with some of his friends who weren't with their families too. Although there's no one there with the same age, or at least close to mine, it was fun. How about you?"

"We're here in my cousin's place, got a little reunion with an old family friend. I had a great time too." Mike's face flashed in her mind.

"That's good to hear. What are you doing now?"

"I'm alone in my cousin's room, just lying here on the bed. You?"

"Same thing, Pie."

"Are you sure it's okay for you to talk this long? You're making an international call, remember that," Pie reminded the turtle — or Kim rather.

"Don't worry about it, my dad's got it covered," said Kim, chuckling.

"Oh, so you're the big spender of your dad's wealth, huh?"

"Haha! It's not like that. He's letting me do this because he knows I'm bored. I don't have friends here."

"Are you always like that every New Year's Eve?"

"Yeah, I just follow him wherever he is. Last year he's in Hong Kong. Hopefully next year he'll be there in Bangkok."

"Oh."

Pie's mind started to fly. She's looking at the turtle that seems to be staring directly into her eyes. She wanted to ask whom Kim might have called last year, but yeah, she sure knows who it is.

"Do you feel sleepy now?"

"Not yet..."

"Umm, I guess you're getting bored? We can just end the call if you want."

"It's not that, Kim. I'm just wondering..."

"What?"

"Isn't it weird how we can talk about anything under the sun — or the moon in this case — without getting bored with each other?"

She heard Kim smile. "Is it something bad?"

"No, it's not bad, it's just... weird."

"It's not weird for me."

"Well, for you maybe it isn't because you can just charm your way up to get all those girls to talk to you. But for me, this isn't what I normally do," said Pie.

"If this is beyond what you normally do then I am honored to be part of this outside-the-normal-thing that you enjoy right now."

"Still it's weird."

"When you say weird, do you mean something good or what?"

"I don't know. My presumption is it's because of the things that happened lately. Here we are getting closer to each other, you know. Maybe I'm just comfortable being around you, reason that I enjoy talking to you."

"That's reasonable, yeah."

"However, there's a part in me that wonders if I've been just affected by your sweet-talking. Maybe it's just you. Your charm might have the same effect on every girl."

"Wowowowow.... I did not seduce you if that's what you're pointing out."

Pie strangled the turtle. "That's not what I meant, crazy!"

Kim laughed. "Well, you're saying it like I do this all the time, to everyone, intentionally."

"Isn't this what you really do? You see, Kim, I'm just one of your victims," Pie joked.

Kim laughed again. "For your information, Ms. Pie Mindara, I am not doing this thing to everyone. Okay, so I have lots of acquaintances, yes. But this thing that we do now, 'this', this isn't happening all the time. You might not believe it but you're the only person right now that I love to talk to in this way."

For a writer like Pie, these are one of the rare cases when she felt that something's wrong with her. Articulacy is her forte, both in oral and writing. But this time her mind is having difficulties finding the right words to say.

Isn't it amazing how the person on the other end of the line has the ability to mute her once in a while? Although she can't describe the mixed emotion she's feeling now, one thing is definite at that moment: she's overjoyed with what she heard. It's like she's been given an assurance that Kim is only enjoying that kind of conversation with her alone.

Before Pie could get the chance to speak she heard footsteps in the hallway outside leading to her door. She assumed it's Meena.

"Pie?"

"Kim, I'm sorry, I have to go. My cousin's coming here now."

Oh, Meena. So wrong timing!

"Oh. No worries. I guess I'll see you on Monday."

"Yes, Monday. Bye now, Kim." Pie hung up the phone immediately.

Meena went to the room finding out that her expectation was correct — Pie is already sleeping. Little did she know that her cousin is only faking it.

Pie tightened her hug on the stuffed toy turtle, still remembering the last sentences Kim told her. She hid her face under the turtle and smiled.

I hate you, Kim. I hate you.