Lipstick

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

Another one month had passed and Kim has finally able to fully adapt to the ways in the office. She's now acting as an Art Director and is being assigned to several clients. She's working with Jane and Pie once or twice a month, only if the client concerned is the one the ladies are handling. Pie can see the warm treatment Jane gives Kim compared to the other art directors they've worked with.

After their little game last time, Pie seemed to have waved off the barrier she's using when Kim is around. She's now convinced that Kim isn't flirty like what she thought. Kim is just the type of person whose nature it to try to do good to everyone, even they’ve just met. This is the reason why the fangirls can’t help but to fall for her even more.

It was another busy day in the office and Kim was standing beside Pie’s terminal, looking frustrated.

"Oh c'mon, do you still have any other ideas?"

"I told you, it's the only one I could think of," said Pie, pretending to be busy working on her computer.

Hearing the bickering from behind, Jane decided to help. "Hey, hey, why are you two fighting again?"

Kim shook the papers in her hands. "Well, Ms. Pie here says that the tagline she'd given for the lipstick product is fine. I think it's too lousy. I need another tagline now because I'll be submitting this to the client later."

"Why do we need to submit two samples if that one is okay?"

"That's the thing, Pie, it's not okay. I can't submit this kind of result to the client."

"If you don't like the one I made then go create a tagline yourself."

Kim walked over in front of the terminal to get a better view of Pie's face. "We. Need. To. Talk," she said pointing a finger back and forth them.

Pie isn't sure why, but she suddenly felt exposed. She can no longer concentrate on what she's doing. She slightly covered her face with a hand and said, "I told you, I ran out of ideas."

Jane finally stood up. "Okay, maybe I can help. What's the product all about again?"

Kim browsed the papers she's holding. "Well..."

Pie saw this as a chance to look at Kim. Although she hasn't fully accepted it to herself yet, she knows that Kim has this charisma that somehow penetrates her. She observed how Kim was browsing the papers.

I'd have to admit she's really cute in this angle.

While Pie was busy checking out, Kim took a glance at her in between scanning papers. Pie withdrew her eyes immediately.

Oh my gosh! Did she catch me looking at her? Will she think that I like her?

Before it gets more awkward for Pie, Kim pulled out a sheet of paper and showed it to Jane. "Here. The product is a cherry-flavored edible lipstick. Pie's article on it talks about the benefits it can give to women, which I think is already obvious. The tagline she used is —"

"Look and taste beautiful," said Pie.

"See?" Kim looked at Jane with a sarcastic smile. "Who do you think is going to buy that tagline?"

Jane laughed aloud for a moment and stopped when Pie glared at her. "Oops, sorry."

"There has to be something better than this," said Kim, flicking her fingers against the paper. "This is not my field. You should be the one doing this."

Jane carefully touched Pie's arm and forehead. "Seriously, girl, do you have a problem? Are you feeling okay? It seems not like you producing something like that."

"I know. Sorry. Maybe it's just mood swings," said Pie. At the back of her head she knew the real reason. She wasn't focused when she wrote the article because curious Kim was watching her how to do it.

"It's okay. At least Kim was able to notice the mistake before we submit it to the client," said Jane, lightening up the mood. "I can provide my input too."

Kim raised her right hand to get attention. "I actually have an idea to help you ladies. Let's conceptualize something that benefits not only women but also men."

"That's interesting. But how? Men don't wear lipstick," said Jane.

"Yeah, probably they don't directly, but sometimes they do — indirectly," said Kim.

"How?" Pie asked.

Kim smiled. "C'mon, could you be more creative about it? Of course, it is done through a kiss."

"That's a good idea! I never thought of that," Jane, who always has nothing to say negative about Kim, agreed right away.

"Cool, yeah?"

"On the contrary, I'm not sure if that's a good idea," Pie countered.

Kim was confused again. "And why is that, Madame?"

"Well —" Pie paused for a moment to search for words because Kim is looking at her again, "— women are not gonna wear lipstick because they want to be kissed. The main reason is they want to feel beautiful."

"But it is cherry-flavored. Of course, men will love that sweet sensation while kissing," said Kim.

Pie didn’t notice that she raised an eyebrow while looking at Kim. "So, are you implying that lipsticks taste good while kissing?"

Kim scratched her head. "Uh. I didn’t mean it that way."

“Then why are you blushing?"

“It’s because you’re looking at me like a jealous girlfriend!” Kim blurted out.

“I am not.”

“You are.”

“Not.”

“Are.”

“Okay, fine. I’m sorry if I looked at you like a jealous girlfriend,” said Pie plainly. “Poker face is my resting face. I hope you won’t give it a different interpretation next time.”

Kim just chuckled. “Anyway, going back, the implication I want to express is women with lipsticks are hot and more seductive for men."

"You're so good, Kim! I love that idea!" Jane exclaimed. "What do you think, Pie?"

"Yeah, but I still won't buy it. I won't wear lipstick because I just want to get kissed."

Kim suddenly leaned over to Pie, close enough until their faces are like five inches away. She gave Pie the same smile that everyone in their office loves.

"Huh, I bet someone here doesn't have a boyfriend."

And Pie was petrified for a second. She didn’t notice that she held her breath after smelling Kim’s magical mouthwash. She turned her head away from the sight after her face felt warm.

Kim pulled back this time. "Ooh, someone's blushing."

“I hate you. I hate you, Kim,” muttered Pie, covering her face with her hands.

Jane laughed. "It's because you caught her, Kim."

"Caught her?"

"How did you know that she doesn't have a boyfriend?"

"Because... she sounded bitter...?" Kim answered hesitantly. "For once, I thought Pie and Van were dating."

Jane walked closer, putting her right elbow on Kim's left shoulder. "Unfortunately, Mr. Van has been friendzoned by Ms. Pie."

Kim smiled, thinking how poor Van is. "Weren't there any other brave gentlemen here in the office who attempted to court our lady here?"

"I could name a few if you like. However, none of them were qualified. Sometimes I really wonder who could make Lady Pie say yes."

"Hmm... that makes the two of us..." said Kim, tapping her chin.

"Make men crave for more," Pie uttered out of nowhere.

Jane and Kim looked at Pie, both speechless.

"That's the tagline I thought of: Make men crave for more," Pie reiterated.

"Wow, that's good!" said Jane.

"That's cool, Pie. I love it!" Kim exclaimed. She was so happy that she grabbed the big turtle stuffed toy and hugged it. "Finally, I can go home after finishing that."

"Hey, hey, hey. Why are you hugging Mrs. Lee?" said Pie, standing up.

Kim stopped jumping. "Huh?"

"My turtle, give it back!"

"Oh, so her name is Mrs. Lee?"

"Yes."

Kim looked at the stuffed toy and flipped it to look for any signs of feminism. "How did you know it's a female?"

"Are you dumb? She has eyelashes."

"Oh?" Kim looked at the face of the turtle and smiled. "Yeah, eyelashes."

"Give it back."

"Why did you name it Mrs. Lee? Where is her husband?" Kim scanned the other stuffed toys on the table.

Pie frowned like a child. "I wasn't able to find a pair for it. It's always out of stock. I'm still looking for a male version but I can't find it anywhere."

"Oooh, poor Mrs. Lee. She doesn't have a love life... like her owner..."

"What did you say!"

"Aaaahhh! Amazon attack!"

"You — Silly, Kim!"

Kim ran away while hugging Mrs. Lee. Pie chased her. It's almost 6 pm that time and they were the only ones left in the office. They have the entire floor as their track.

After few rounds of running around, they stopped.

"Hey, I'm tired…" Kim was gasping for air. "I didn't know you were a fast runner…"

Pie was also exhausted. "Just give me back my turtle… now…"

"Okay." Kim raised the turtle. "Hey, I'm giving you back to your owner. You're so cute and fluffy... unlike her..."

Pie just rolled her eyes. She saw Kim kissed the nose of Mrs. Lee. "Hey! Why did you kiss it?"

"It's so cute, and it smells good!" said Kim, handing back the turtle. "Bye, Pie. Bye, Mrs. Lee. I'll see you both tomorrow." She ran back to her department.

Pie walked back to her terminal, still hugging the stuffed-toy. She sat down slowly and stared emptily at her computer monitor.

Jane stood up to go to the restroom. When Pie was sure she was alone, she looked at Mrs. Lee again.

You surely had a good day, didn't you?

She held the stuffed-toy as if she was petting a dog. She stared at it again for a moment, kissed it and smiled as she hugs it.

I hate you, Kim. You made Pie crave for more.