Chapter 2

Beautiful Illusion
Please log in to read the full chapter

Seohyun’s eyes fluttered open as the sunlight flooded through her window. She sat up as she yawned and rubbed her sleepy eyes. And goddammit, she needed to go back to the Manor.

Walking back inside the Manor, Seohyun decided to try and explore the second floor. She walked up the dusty staircase, its steps occasionally creaking and making squeaking noises as she reached the hallway. Surprisingly, the hallway wasn’t as messed up as the other parts of the Manor.

Standing in front of the large door at the end of the hall, she twisted the doorknob and the door creaked open. Inside the room, was a king-sized bed atop the smooth marble floor with a beautiful intricate dresser next to the bed. A simple yet elegant chandelier was hanging on the ceiling, the glass reflecting the light seeping through the curtains.

On the corner of the room, there hung a portrait of a girl who looked strangely familiar. “She looks… like me? But it can’t be me!” Seohyun whispered, eying the portrait up and down. Her gaze stopped at the girl’s hand, where again an oddly familiar ring circles the girl’s left ring finger.

Shocked, she looked down at her own hand only to spot the exact same ring sitting on her left ring finger. It was a ring she just bought in a mall last week with her friends, whilst the portrait had dated a hundred years ago. Something strange was definitely going on, but Seohyun was too struck to even move.

Feeling fear seeping into her bones, Seohyun sprinted towards the door where she entered the room. Her hands hovered above the doorknob, but didn’t make any move to open the door. She could feel goosebumps rising all over her arms, and started to shiver. She felt a presence behind her.

“boo.”

And everything went black.

***

Seohyun woke up with a pounding head. She was no longer near the doorknob. Instead, she was curled on the bed in the master room, the one with the painting of a girl that looked exactly like her. An oil lamp stood on the nightstand beside her, the flame flickering gently as she stared at it for a moment.

She closed her eyes. There was no ghost. She must have imagined the whole thing. I probably got tired and fell asleep, She thought to herself. No, you moron! You know what you saw.

Seohyun decided to ignore that thought.

She sat up, but then froze the next second. She heard a subtle flutter of pages turning off to her right. That’s when she finally realized.

She wasn’t alone anymore.

Slowly turning her head, she saw a man sitting down on an armchair next to the bedwhile flipping through the pages of a book. Seohyun froze, again. And this time, she inhaled sharply.

The man wasn’t ordinary; he’s translucent.

The man must have h

Please log in to read the full chapter