Chapter 1

Beautiful Illusion
Please log in to read the full chapter

La Mémoire Manor had once been a beautiful jaw-dropping mansion. Sleepy vines crawled up the red brick walls and the owners were always friendly and inviting. They told us that beautiful rare flowers grew like weeds in the gardens; this was one rich man’s heaven.

With her mind full of fantastical ‘myths’ told to her about the Manor, Seohyun was so surprised to find a total wreck lying in front of her. She squinted, and tried to look closer. In her right hand, she was holding a piece of paper, the words scrawled across the page detailing her first project as an architect graduate. If her information was right, then La Mémoire Manor was not only hundreds years old, but abandoned too.

It was a complete mess, withered vines clung to the brick, and several windows on the ground floor were broken. And weeds now invaded the once magnificent gardens.

Seohyun knew this was going to be a challenge. Her professor told her that renovating La Mémoire Manor was not going to be easy. And now, she stared at her challenge, feeling nervous.

“But I know you can do it,” her professor had said, smiling at her.

“Yes, sir.” Seohyun agreed. Nothing would be able to stop her now.

But standing in front of the once grand Manor itself, made her change her mind. There was too much that needed to be done, and she wasn’t sure she was the right one to renovate this Manor.

She thought of quitting, but duh, she was not born to quit. Seohyun gritted her teeth and took a deep breath before walking up the old steps that led to the front door.

At the first glance, the entryway gave Seohyun a false hope that this house isn’t as messed up as it seemed.

After a few steps, the first thing that caught her eye was a beautiful un-wrecked chandelier that hung from the ceiling, the shards of glass glittering in the afternoon light. Despite the Manor being abandoned for centuries, it still seemed to be in perfect condition, and Seohyun hoped that the rest of the house was preserved in a similar way.

She walked down a hallway that branched off the main hall. Dust covered the floor like a very thick blanket, swirling around as Seohyun’s feet stepped on it. And at the end of the hall, light filtered through a doorway that was cracked open a couple of centimeters.

Please log in to read the full chapter