Chapter 1—You, Me, And The Frightened Butterflies

Alone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the clock strikes 12, a portal to another dimension will open.

This dimension is known as 'The Nonexistent Hour', or 'Noex Hour' in short, as it stops the time when the dimension opens.

Humans, normally, couldn't access the dimension. But there's some special gifted humans called 'Butterfly'.

These 'Butterflies' could see the portal, which consists of purple light burst and fuchsia butterflies filling up the skies. They are also able to enter the dimension, and interact with what inside of the dimension.

In this dimension, there exist a creature called 'Empty', born from the sorrow and gloom feeling of the creatures from other dimension, including humans.

'Empties' when helped or fulfilled their request, they will give you a wish that they will grant, no matter how big or small the wish is, no matter from what dimension are you from. Though, even they grant wishes, they were known to have no emotions or any living creature traits in them. They have humanoid form, with the exceptions of ears—which they have purple butterfly wings instead of them. Another memorable characteristic from them is their tattoo-covered skin, which have beautiful carvings and transparent that you could see the veins inside them, glowing purple.

Noex Hour goes on for approximately 6 hours in human time. A bell that signs that the exit portal back to each dimensions has opened will rang an hour before closing.

Once the exit portals are closed, there's no way out until the next exit portal opens again.

When the portals are closing, 'Empties' will start their feeding time.

“—and Empties eats any living creature from any dimensions,”

Minseok keeps chanting and chanting the same rules as he tried to find the exit portal. His footsteps are panic and his head keep turning around as he tried to find the said exit. The bell has rang approximately 40 minutes ago, and he can't find the exit to his dimension. Sure, he found one before, but that was New Zealand's and the country is like, a 100++ miles from South Korea. It's impossible if he dropped there.

Kim Minseok, a 11th grader, has realized that he was 'butterfly' since he was twelve.

The first time he saw the strange butterfly tattoo on the angle of his neck—the part when the neck meets the shoulder, he freaked out and tried to washed it through, but when he sees it wasn't going to disappear, he finally tried to search for help in the internet. He didn't remember going to a tattoo parlor, moreover, he was twelve! There's no way he could get that tattoo unconsciously.

Relieve washes over him when he finally found he wasn't the only one with the unremovable tattoo. There was this website, Butterfly.net, that explains the things that happened to him. When knowing about Noex, he with all of his courage, he went in and turns out it wasn't that bad. He saw a lot of amazing creatures from another dimension that he didn't they would really exist, he solved his classmates problem secretly with the help of the Empties, and found their smiling faces at the morning in class. He enjoys being the secret hero and he enjoys the wonder of Noex Hour with the adventure that comes with it. He enjoys being asked why he always buttoned his shirt up to the collar.

Until this day, of course.

His parents was out of the town, leaving him home alone for the rest of the week. And in the middle of Saturday night, out of boredom, he went out and play in the Noex, not caring about his safety at all. Sure, he got the whole night to himself, but he'd never thought about it literally, mostly in Noex.

He never felt this scared before. Hell, he have been helping and filling a lot of Empty's request, and he has just to be scared now.

5 minutes; the time left for him to find the portal. He had strayed too far from his usual area that he has difficulty in going home. If he can't find it fast, he'll be a dinner for an Empty today.

Finally seeing the familiar blue light, Minseok began to speed up his walk, now knowing where the portal is and having a glimmer of hope inside his heart.

The clock keeps ticking, his time was now less then a minute. The boy bit his lower lip, nervous and fear spreading through his whole body. He is now running, as the florescent magenta color that covered the city has blurred in his eyes, the wind strongly blew by him.

“I'm in the fencing team,” he thought as his breath becomes shorter, “I have exercised a lot, I can make it!”

His footsteps are getting faster, but he seems to be no where close to the portal, even though the said thing is in his sight. His energy is running out, his legs are getting tired, yet there's only seconds left. Minseok is running with all of his might right now, but he was still to far away.

“I can make it, I can make it, I can make it—,”

Too late, the portal has shut, and left a single glimmer of blue light in its place.

Upon the shock, Minseok trips and falls down, scratching his chubby-cheeked face and bleeding his knee. He stared at the place where the portal used to be with disbelievingly, shook by the reality that he's too late.

He's trapped.

“No, no..,” Minseok limply stood up and tried to reach for the remaining blue light, “No, this can't be! NO!!”

The boy screamed with all of his might, his hand frantically scrolling through Butterfly.net, searching a way to get out for the dimension. The website is still working fine, but as he typed furiously to the chat box, no one is answering him despite his text of begging for help or if there's anyone still inside the dimension. 

Suddenly the winds blows softly and made him shiver. He could feel the hungry Empties staring at him from the top of the building, smelling his blood pouring out from his bleeding knee. He hurriedly ripped off his jacket's sleeve and covered up his wound, blocking the odor and hopefully become unnoticed by the Empties.

He was confused. He can't really eat anything here, or do anything, so what left was for him to find a safe shelter, and spend the night there until Noex opened for another 6 hours and the bell to the portal rang. But it was hard, the only thing there's around him are buildings, nothing safe was is in his sight. He might find an alley, but dark alleys are usually occupied by wandering lost souls from the fifth-dimension.

When he finally stood up and turned, his eyes widened.

There was an Empty staring right into his eyes, seeing everything that he has done with a straight expression—which Minseok translates as hungry. The Empty's eyes glow softly purple, his veins flowing thoroughly behind it's tattoo's.

The Empty takes a step closer to Minseok.

“No! Don't- Don't come closer!” The boy took a step back nervously, “Go away!”

It was useless. The Empty keeps closing it's distance to him without caring the boy's words, his steps barely made a sound and it freaks out Minseok more.

The boy quickly ran as fast as he can from the Empty, not minding about his wounded knee that keeps aching as he runs. He was clenching his phone tightly, hoping there will be someone who replied to his text and comes to save him.

As he run, he glanced back to see the Empty has him on hot pursuit. It keeps following him in a steady distance, even though it's not that far. The Empty doesn't look like it's going to stop soon, so Minseok keeps running and running and running until he accidently—

“!”

—went into an alley.

The alley was small and dark, and Minseok isn't fond of those kind of cramped spaces. He wasn't to the point of that he was claustrophobic, but it still scares and ticks him off. He was lucky there was no ghost lingering and idling around in the alley, but now, he is trapped with the only exit is the way he had come in before.

And he can't get out that way either, with the Empty already standing in the entrance of the alley.

Minseok slumped down to the floor and frantically moved backwards, avoiding the Empty until his back has reached the alley's wall. He clutched his jacket an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter