Chapter 5

The Unexpected

School day finally finished and it was time for the match. Krystal, Amber and I were heading towards the gym. “Let’s just quickly go wish the boys luck.” Krystal suggested when we were near the sports department. “Coach Kim usually allows us in the changing room before the match begins.” As we walked into the changing rooms Sehun and Luhan were sitting with their uniforms and talking to each other.

“You came!” Sehun jumped up and quickly hugged me.

“Yeah Krystal, Amber and Tiffany practically forced me.” I answered while I hugged him back.

“Well I’m so glad that you’re here! I’ve been looking forward to seeing you today.”

“Ehem.” Amber coughed.

“Oh hi Amber and Krystal.” Sehun greeted them with a smile.

Amber rolled her eyes “So where’s the others?”

“They just went to get some water, they’ll be back soon.” Luhan replied as he stood up.

“So are you guys ready?” Krystal asked.

“I think we are I mean we practiced long and hard so we could win but our opposition is unbeaten so I don’t know how it will come out really.” Luhan frowned.

“I have faith in you Luhan, I think you’d be really good today.” Krystal’s eyes sparkled a little while she looked at him.

“I hope so.” Luhan smiled at her.

Just then, Kris, Henry and Kai walked in with bottles of water in their hands. “Ah you came!” Kris exclaimed walking over to us and putting an arm around Amber.

“Of course we would, don’t we always?” Amber replied with a smile plastered on her face.

“Ah I’m so happy you also came today Alex, this’ll be the first time you will watch us play right?” Kris asked as he looked at me.

“Yeah, it is.”

“Well we hope we can impress you today.” Sehun winked while he placed an arm around me and squeezed my shoulder. Kai and Henry then started to walk towards us.

“We’ll see.” I replied, trying to avoid Kai’s gaze. I then intertwined my fingers into his, trying my best not to pay any attention to Kai. “Amber was telling me how good you guys were earlier, let’s see if you can live to it.” I then looked up into his eyes and noticed that he is really handsome. His eyes were brown and warm and looking into them made my heartbeat a little faster.

“Is this a new couple I’m seeing right now?” Kris teased. I looked up to see everyone looking at us with a huge grin on their faces. Well everyone except Kai who seemed to have not cared judging by his facial expressions.

“Wait, what?” I replied with a confused look on my face.

“N-no, we’re just friends!” Sehun blushed, his cheeks turning bright red. He then quickly removed his arm from my shoulder and looked down, placing his hands inside his trouser pockets. Times like this I was grateful for my dark complexions as I’d probably be as bright as a tomato right now.

“That’s what they all say” Henry answered with a grin on his face. And everyone then started to laugh.

“Okay boys match is starting in 10 minutes, gather up!” Coach Kim called for the team to him.

“I guess it’s time for us to leave.” Amber broke out from Kris’ hold.

“Meet us at the pizza place later on.” Kris reminded Amber.

“Of course.” Amber replied. “Come on Alex.” She grabbed my arm and guided me out of the room and into the gym. “So…Do you like Sehun?” Amber asked once we sat down on one of the benches.  

“Erm… Yeah I guess, I mean he’s a really nice friend.” I responded.

Amber then gave me a warm smile and just then Krystal, Jessica and Tiffany came over with snacks in their hands and sat next to us.

 

The match finished within an hour and the boys won 22-20, Kai lead the final score. As soon as it finished we headed over to the pizza restaurant and waited for the boys to arrive.

“So? How did you find that match?” Tiffany asked.

“It was definitely very entertaining.” I responded with a smile on my face. “They are really talented especially Kris, Sehun, Luhan and… Kai” I hesitated to mention his name.

“Speaking of Kai, how’s things going with you and him for the project?” Amber asked

“Erm-” While I was about answer the question, the boys walked in all cheering and making a lot of noise.

“Did you see how I just tricked that player, my skills are good right!” Kris yelled while they headed towards us. They all cheered and began to yell even louder which made the people in the building turn heads to look at them. “But the real MVP today was Kai, your score on the final second was what made our victory!” The boys all put their arms around Kai and Kris shuffled his hair.

They came over and sat down with us.

“Did you like today’s match?” Sehun asked while he sat next to me.

“Yeah it was really good, you guys are really talented.” I replied

“Really? Do you think so?” His eyes lightened up.

“Yeah really, I think that you, Luhan, Kris a-and… Kai can become professionals.” I hesitated. From the corner of my eye I noticed that Kai, who was sitting next to me, had a huge smirk on his face. Oh God, why did I mention him he’ll probably think I like him now. “Especially you, Luhan and Kris though, you three are by far the best members in the team.” I mentally smiled when Kai stopped smiling and frowned a little.

“Thank you, that really means a lot to me.” Sehun smiled.

“So are you going to introduce your friend to us?” A tall boy with a deep voice and a huge smile sat down in front of me, next to him was a cute baby-faced boy who somehow resembled a puppy and to his other side was another boy who looked quite tired to say and a deep dimple on his right cheek.

“Oh right, Alex, this is Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Lay.” He pointed towards his friends. “Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Lay, this is our new student, Alex, she’s moved over here from London.”

“Wow, London? That’s so amazing.” Baekhyun clapped his hands. “I’ve always wanted to go to western countries.”

“How is it like? Is the food there as good as people say’s it is? Do you know the queen? Are the schools strict? What is school like over there? What’s it like to ride on those red tall buses? How many celebrities have you me-“

“Enough!” Sehun snapped at Chanyeol. “Jesus, you’re going to scare her with all these questions. Anyways I’m sure you know the answers to most of them, Chanyeol.” Sehun rolled his eyes.

After 15 minutes of Chanyeol and Baekhyun pestering me and Sehun asking them to shut up, the pizza finally arrived.

“Woah Alex, are you seriously going to eat a 16” pizza?” Baekhyun gasped.

“I’m not really feeling very hungry today so I decided to eat little.” I smiled.

“Wait so you’re telling me you eat more than this?” His faced was filled with surprise.

“More? Are you joking? This is nothing compared to what I usually eat.” I laughed at the idea that a tiny 16” pizza would actually be considered to be a lot.

“But, how-where-how can you eat so much?” Jessica asked from the other side of the table. “Like where does it go? You’re not even fat!”

“I have a fast metabolism I suppose, plus I work out a lot to make sure I don’t get fat.”

“Yeah right.” Kai scoffed but it was so quiet that only I was able to hear him clearly. I rolled my eyes and ignored his rude comment.

“That’s really amazing.” Sehun poked me “You’re so slim but can eat as much as you want.”

“Thanks.” I replied taking a bite into my pizza.

 

It was 8 o’clock and I decided it was time I should make my way home seeing as I have a curfew of 9. Our dinner at the pizza place went really well, despite I was sitting next to Kai the whole time, I managed to enjoy myself as I met Sehun and Kris’ other friends and learned more about them.

“Hey are you sure you’re going to go home alone at this time?” Sehun asked me with a worried tone.

“Erm, yeah I guess, I mean it’s not like I’ve not been out this late before anyways.” I replied, trying to be as cheerful as I could because deep down inside I was still worried about what happened to me the other night and if it would happen again. I heard Kai scoff but I just ignored him because he was being childish once again.

“I think it’s better off if I drop you home.” Sehun spoke while he stood up and hung his bag over his shoulder.

“N-no it’s fine, I’ll be okay, you don’t need to really.”

“No, I want to, besides it’s safer if I went with you.” He smiled at me warmly.

“Are you sure?”

“Of course I am”

“Okay fine then.” I smiled back at him. “See you guys.” I waved at everyone before walking out with Sehun.

“How far is your home from here?” He asked once we got out of the restaurant and were walking on the streets.”

“Around 20 minutes walk from here but y-you don’t have to walk all the way with me.”

“No, it’s fine.” He smiled again. “Wow, it’s a bit chilly today isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it is actually.” I wrapped my arms around myself.

He then came closer to me and placed his arm around my shoulder “This should hopefully make you feel a little warmer.” He beamed.

“Yeah it’s a bit better actually.” I responded, butterflies filling up my stomach and my heart beating a little bit faster once again.

“So, how are you finding it here?”

“It’s going good I guess.” I looked up to him. “I mean I have made good friends like you and Amber, which by the way I’m really grateful for.”

“Me too, I’m really happy that I met you Alex, I mean I like you… a lot.” He chuckled nervously.

“I like you too Sehunnie, you’re so cute and you somehow remind me of the brother I never really had.”

His smile dropped a little, “Ah well, that’s nice I guess.” His tone sounded a little disappointed. “Is that your new nickname for me, Sehunnie?”

“Yes that and Sehunshine.” I grinned “Cos you’re bright like the sun”

“Well that’s cute” He laughed “… So do you like anyone from our school?”

“What do you mean Sehunnie?”

“I mean like if you like someone y’know like have a crush on them or something?”

“I think it’s too early to think like that, I mean like I barely know most of the people in our school, why’d you ask?”

“Oh no it’s just that I overheard you and Amber talking about Kai once and I thought you may have liked him or something.” He chuckled

“Oh believe me, I’ll never like a selfish jerk like him.” I shook my head. “He’s certainly not my type at all.”

“Why what happened? Did he say something to you?”

“Oh no, it’s just that he’s kinda rude and hasn’t helped me out with our project at all, it’s frustrating really because it’s something we’re both supposed to work on together but he keeps on ditching me and when he does turn up he’s super rude and it’s just so annoying because I haven’t really said or done anything wrong to him.”

“That’s very odd, I’ve known Jongin my entire life and have been best friends since childhood and never has he ever been rude to a girl before.” He rubbed his chin with his other hand. “Don’t worry about him, I’ll have a word with him, he won’t bother you anymore believe me.”

“Oh, n-no don’t-“

“Shh I said leave it to me.” He placed a finger on to my lips. “I’ll make sure he does his work and is no longer rude to you.”

“O-okay thanks.”

“No problem.” He grinned

“Sehun?”

“Hmm?”

“Can you take your hands off my lips now?”

“Oh right sorry hehe” He chuckled a little.

 

5 minutes later we finally reached my place. “This is my home.” I pointed to my house. “Thank you so much Sehunnie for dropping me off.”

“No it’s fine, you don’t have to thank me.”

“Well I still will thank you anyways.” I quickly went up to my tiptoes and hugged him wrapping my arms around his neck while he placed his around my back. “Thank you and good night.” I stepped down.

“Goodnight to you too.” He waved while I walked into my home.