Chapter 4

The Unexpected

I was riding the bus to school the next day, the memory of what happened last night replaying in my mind. As much as he was a jerk, I was really grateful that Kai saved me, if he didn’t show up I have no idea what kind of traumatizing situation I would have been in right now.

When I arrived home last night my mother was still in work which meant I didn’t have to come up with a lame excuse as to why I was so late. I entered my room and curled into a ball and cried myself to sleep. I was completely flooded with emotions, overwhelmed with fear and felt hopeless. Why do I have to be so weak? Why couldn’t have I fought back last night? What if it happens again and no one is around to help me? Were just some of the thoughts that circled through my mind.

I hopped off the bus when my stop finally arrived and walked towards the school building. I was trying my hardest to erase the thoughts of last night when Sehun approached me. “Hey” he spoke when he stood in front of me.

“Oh, hi.” I said softly.

“What’s wrong?” Sehun asked with a concerned look in his eyes. “You seem upset, did something happen?” He placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Oh n-no, I’m fine.” As much as I was trying to sound realistic Sehun wasn’t buying it.

“Are you sure bec-”

“Yeah.” I tried to smile but who was I kidding I’m a terrible liar and I guess Sehun could notice that. “Anyways I have to go or else I will be late for class.” I walked away lowering my head and trying my best to avoid his gaze. Truth is I just wanted to forget about what happened and move on.

As I entered the school hallways the first person I noticed was Kai, it seemed like Yoona was walking behind him trying her best to catch his attention but Kai looked like he was too distracted to care. His eyes met mine, once again with an expressionless face, before he looked away trying to dismiss Yoona.  I walked towards my looker and opened it only to see a note fall out of it. I opened it and read:

Meet me in the library today after school. 

Kai

 

 

School ended and I was waiting for Kai in the library. He better show up this time or I swear to God-

I was distracted from my thoughts when someone sat on the chair opposite me. “Sorry, I’m waiting for someone.” I looked up only to notice that Kai was sitting in front of me. “Oh so you came.”

“Yeah… look can we just get this done quickly? I have something to do.” He replied with a monotone.

“Erm yeah sure. I already started some of the project yesterday.” I took out the notes from my bag. “I think it would be better if we start doing the 3D structure today, and hopefully get it done by next week.”

“Sure, whatever.” Kai was now also searching into his bag to take out his biology textbook.

There was an awkward silence which lasted around 10 minutes while we were working on our project.

“So… Have you lived in Seoul all your life?” I asked, trying my best to start some small talk.

“Look, I’m not here to befriend you so can we please just finish off this work so that I can go?” He replied with a rude tone.

“Wow.” I replied sarcastically “So you’re one of THOSE.”

“One of who?”

“You know those typical bad-boy high schoolers who think they’re good looking and all the girls chase after, but reality is that they don’t have a future and after high school they’ll end up homeless and jobless because they’re pathetic.”

“And you’re the type of girl who will never have a boyfriend because she’s ugly and fat.” Kai snorted

“Well at least I have a future, what will a such as yourself do in the future when girls don’t want you because you’re a loser?”

“Well if you’re so smart how about you do the project alone?” Kai stood up and grabbed his bag.

“I would, but there’s too much work quality for me to do by myself .”

“Oh, so the ugly girl needs me now eh?” Kai smirked.

“I don’t need you, but I’m not going to do the whole project alone and you get an A for doing nothing.”

“Just admit it, you need me.” Kai teased.

“No I don’t!” I replied while rubbing my temples “I just don’t want to give you credit for something you don’t even deserve, now get back to doing your work!”

“Wow, someone’s bossy!” Kai teased again

“Urghh, you know what if you don’t want to be here just go, I don’t really care anymore.”

“Okay fine.” Kai turned around smiling and started to walk away. Tsk, as if I care if he does the work, either way I am going to get an A with or without him. He stopped and turned for a brief moment. “And remember to be careful this time or no one’s going to save your ugly .” He said before he walked out.

 

The rest of the day I continued doing the project and then made my way home. Like yesterday, my mother wasn’t home yet and I just made myself dinner. It was almost 9 o’clock when my mother finally arrived.

“Honey?” Mother said as she walked through the door.

“Yeah mum?” I replied from the living room.

“I got a surprise for you.” Mum walked in with a bag in her hand. “You’re really going to love this.” She passed the bag to me and I opened it up.

“Mum you didn’t.-“

“But I did, I felt guilty as your old one wouldn’t work here anymore.”

Inside the bag was a new Samsung phone.

“Thank you mum!” I yelled as I hugged her. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“Not a problem my darling.” She replied hugging me back. “So how’s school going for you? Are you settling well with your new friends?”

“Yeah, actually I am, everything’s going great really.” Except what happened last night of course. “I actually started a new project yesterday which means that I’ll be coming home late for the next couple of days if that’s alright.”

“Of course it is as long as you don’t come home later than 9 I’m alright with you being outside.”

 

The rest of the night my mother and I watched a movie together and afterwards I went to sleep.

 

It was lunch time the next day and the crew and I were sitting at our usual table in the canteen. Kris, Henry, Sehun and Luhan weren’t able to sit with us today as they were practicing for their basketball match after school.

“Are you coming to watch the match today?” Krystal asked me.

“I don’t know.” I replied,  shrugging my shoulders.

“Oh come on, you have to come otherwise the boys will be upset!” Amber complained.

“Really? They would? I mean I don’t feel like I would fit in” I replied nervously

“Of course they would you’re our friend you need to come!” Jessica spoke

“Otherwise Sehun is not going to talk to you.” Tiffany answered.

“And Kris and Henry would be angry.” Krystal stated

“See? You have to you come!” Amber yelled

“Okay, okay I’ll come.” I surrendered placing my hands up.

“Good, cos otherwise I would have kidnapped you.” Amber joked.

“Good luck with that!” I chuckled “Anyways how’s things going on with you and the witch?”

 “Oh don’t get me started on it, she refused to even let me help out with the work and ignores all my suggestions, it’s like I’m talking to a wall! Sometimes I feel like jumping out of the window and just ending my suffering right there.” Amber shook her head.

“Wow, she’s so annoying” Krystal chuckled.

“Oh how I wished I would see all this happen!” I laughed.

“Alex I thought you was my friend! Why are you doing this?” Amber pouted.

“I’m just saying it would be amusing to see it, that’s all!”

“Tsk meanie.” Amber rolled her eyes.