4 Showers and an Airplane

The Cabin: Volume 3

 

 

Sharing one bathroom is not generally ideal for a four-person team, but this morning, with Joy choosing to take her shower first, and Seulgi busy in the kitchen scrounging up food to eat, it left Wendy and Irene alone to relax and cuddle before their long day.

“Are you feeling more excited today?” Irene asked, her arm wrapped tightly around Wendy’s stomach, her face in the space of Wendy’s neck.

Wendy shivered from the vibration of Irene’s morning voice, but gathered herself to answer, “Yes, much more excited, especially to see my family.”

“Good, I’m ready to see Mama Son again too,” Irene said.

Wendy laughed silently and molded her hand to Irene’s, “Mama Son?”

“Yeah, Mama Son, your mother, our mother,” Irene said.

“I’m glad you think of her that way,” Wendy said, “It’s just funny to hear you say, ‘Mama Son’.”

“Well, your Mom is the closest thing I have to a mom at this moment,” Irene said thoughtfully.

Wendy rolled over to look in Irene’s eyes,  “I know, but like you tell me, don’t worry so much, everything will work out. Your parents will come around.”

“Maybe, maybe not. I hope things will change, but whatever happens, I’m going to be in your life and keep on loving you, and your family, and our group.”

“Same here,” Wendy said.

Suddenly Joy called out, breaking the intimate moment, “I’m finished with the shower, who is next?”

Seulgi shouted from the kitchen, mouth full of food, “Me, is that okay, Irene unnie?”

“Yes,” Irene yelled back, “Wendy will go after you, and then me.”

“Are you sure you want to go last?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah, you should go after Seul,” Irene said.

“No, I mean don’t you just want to share the shower with me?” Wendy teased.

Irene was slightly taken aback but answered quickly, “You don’t understand how much, but after the first shower, we’d have to take another shower, and I don’t think we have time for that.”

It was Wendy’s turn to be fake shocked, “We’re an interesting pair, “Clearly I was talking about conserving water, not anything dirty.”

Irene laughed, “Sure,” she said, “Sure you were.”

 

-----

 

After showers, the four squeaky clean ladies found themselves in the van, on the trek to the airport. Wendy had her checklist out and calling out items to make sure everyone came prepared.

“Did you bring the phone the company gave us?” Wendy asked nervously.

“Yes,” Irene smiled.

“And the charger for the phone? And the adapter?”

“Wendy, we’ve got everything,” Seulgi said, “Relax, breathe.”

Joy laughed, “Seulgi Unnie’s right, just do what you promised and let us worry, besides, who cares if we have the company phone anyway? We’ll all be together, put that list away.”

“Okay, Okay, no more worries, or questions, or serious thoughts,” Wendy said energetically.

“And that’s how it should be,” Irene winked.

 

-----

 

Finally at the airport and through security, the girl’s trip was about to begin.

One of their many manager unnies, and three stylists had made the trip as well, which Wendy thought was strange, but she brushed it off thinking they must be as excited as her to be going to Toronto.

“Unnies, have you decided what you’re going to do in the city after our appearance?” Wendy asked.

“Well,” one of the stylists said, “The company instructed us to do a little shopping for you guys, but other than that, we’ll just explore. Any ideas Wendy?”

“Yes, unnie, I’ll write some places down when we get in the plane.”

“Cool, thanks,” the other stylist said.

“Another list, Wendy Unnie?” Joy asked and everyone laughed, including Wendy.

Even though Irene wasn’t standing near Wendy, she winked and gave her a bright smile. “Wendy really loves lists. Someday we’ll write down a list of our own,” Irene thought, “And I’m going to take her to every place we write down.”

 

-----

 

“I want to be beside you too, but I’ll be right behind you. It’ll be okay, get some sleep, watch a movie, and talk with Seulgi. When we get there, you’ll have me for the next 10 days,” Irene said, and you can talk to me as much as you want to when we land.”

In their seats before takeoff, Wendy and Irene had been separated, obviously by the company. Wendy’s  seat was with Seulgi, Irene with one of the stylists, Joy with a stylist, and Manager Unnie and the last stylist sitting together.

“I know, I’m happy to be with Seulgi, but you know they did this on purpose,” Wendy said.

“I’m just happy we’re free on the other side,” Irene said.

“She’s right, Wen, they’re letting us run wild in the wilderness of Canada. Think we’ll see members of my family too?” Seulgi tilted her head and growled like a baby bear cub.

“You’re cute, Seul, but I don’t think we’ll want to meet your brothers and sisters,” Wendy said.

“You need more sleep, Seulg-Bear, go ahead and hibernate,” Irene said.

“Bad joke, Unnie,” Seulgi said.

The fasten seabelt sign came on, forcing Wendy to turn around, but before she did, she glanced at Irene one last time, “Your absence makes my heart grow fonder,” she joked in English.

Irene was confused and shrugged her shoulders. She looked to Stylist Unnie who was already asleep, “May as well catch up on sleep too.”

The plane readied for takeoff and made it to the skies. The girls relaxed, slept, and wiled away the hours.

The only thing ahead of them: a magical ten days, a golden chance.

 

 

-----

 

End of Part 1

 

-----

 

Thanks for reading Part 1! I'll be back next week with the next five chapters of Part 2.