And the Answer

The Cabin: Volume 3

 

 

“Yeri,” Seulgi said, “Shouldn’t you be at the trainee dorm?”

Yeri seemed confused, “No.”

“Okay, you need to give us more information than just ‘No,’” Joy said, a bit testy still from their long flight.

“I’m…I’m a member of Red Velvet now,” Yeri said quietly.

“A what?” Seulgi asked, “I couldn’t hear you.”

“I’m a member of your group now, they told me after you left for Canada, and sent me here to the dorm…to stay.”

The four unnies were as confused as ever.

“I don’t understand, why are we just now finding this out?” Irene asked.

“This is ridiculous,” Joy said, “Why couldn’t they just tell us?”

“I can’t believe this,” Seulgi said.

“I’m…so lost right now,” Wendy said out loud, still holding on to Irene, “Did they tell you anything else, Yeri-ah?”

“No…I’m…Sorry, please don’t be mad at me, I just did what I was told,” Yeri said, a sad look on her face.

The four girls rushed to Yeri’s side before she started to cry.

“We’re not mad at you, Yeri-ah,” Joy said, “You’re like a little sister to us.”

“Joy’s right, we’re just confused about the timing, since we just got home,” Seulgi reassured the girl.

Irene sat next to Yeri, “We’re happy, no proud to have a new member, please don’t let our reactions phase you, we’re all tired from the trip. We had no clue we were even getting a new member.”

Yeri began to smile.

“Ire—Unnie’s right,” Wendy corrected herself, “We’re sorry about our first reactions, I’m glad to have a new little sister, right everyone?”

“Definitely, yes, of course,” They all agreed.

“Are you going to be staying in here with me, Yeri-ah?”

“Yes. They told me that I’ll need to stay with you, Unnie, is that okay?”

Irene glanced at Wendy with eyes that said everything, “Of course it’s okay. It’ll be good to have someone staying with me. Did you bring your night light? I get scared in here alone sometimes so it’ll definitely help.”

“Yes, I know I’m too old to have one, but—“

“There’s no need to explain,” Irene said, “We’ll keep it if you need it.”

“Well,” Wendy said, “I guess we’ll leave you two to get situated.

“Yeah,” Seulgi said, “We’ll go, we have a lot of things to unpack and showers to take. Go back to sleep Yeri, thank you for joining us. Let’s talk more tomorrow?”

Yeri nodded.

Seulgi and Joy smiled then walked out. Wendy lingered for a moment, something on the tip of her tongue ready to escape, but she thought better of it and smiled at Yeri, “See you later,” and out she went.

 

-----

 

After everyone had calmed down, and Seulgi and Joy had stopped talking about the new edition to the group—a conversation Wendy stayed quiet during—a figure appeared before Wendy’s single bed and hovered over her.

It was Irene in cute pajamas, with a worried look on her face.

“Sit,” Wendy said, “I’m awake.”

Irene plopped down on the bed next to Wendy and tried to think of something to say but could only grab Wendy’s hand for comfort.

“I—“ Irene tried to say.

“It’s alright, it’ll be okay.”

“I can’t believe they keep springing these surprises on us, a new member? Practically thrown in our faces when we get off the plane? Why didn’t Manager Unnie say anything”

“I know, I feel the same way, I have so many questions. I’m sure Unnie had no idea, she was busy on vacation. It sounds like they cooked it up at the company.

Irene agreed.

“But we’re going to have to roll with what they give us,” Wendy said, “Yeri is a great kid who wants to work hard, maybe she’s the energy we need to keep going.”

“I just…Of course Yeri will add to our group, I just wish we were more prepared for the surprise. What if…do you think we can tell her about us? I’m worried.”

“I-I think we can tell her sooner rather than later. She knows what the company is like, she’ll know that we can’t tell anyone outside of the five of us. Yeri has always been smart, she’s not new to the business.”

“I know. Maybe I’m being selfish, I can’t lose you,” Irene said.

“You won’t, not going to happen no matter what goes on.”

“I think they’re giving us these challenges to pull us apart,” Irene pondered.

“Maybe, but they’re not counting on their ideas to make us closer. Me and you, and the group will be closer after this. We’ll let Yeri know soon, maybe even tomorrow. We can’t keep a secret from a new member, she deserves to know the truth.”

“I think so too,” Irene said.

“Don’t worry so much, alright?” Wendy asked

“Okay, do you think the company will pull anymore tricks though?”

“Honestly?” Wendy asked.

Irene nodded.

“...I have no idea.”

 

-----

 

The next afternoon, Wendy went out and bought everyone’s favorite ice cream. If they were going to tell Yeri about her relationship with Irene, they may as well be happy first.  The new five-piece group gathered in the living room and ate the ice cream, and after that Irene and Wendy calmly told Yeri the news.

“Oh,” Yeri said, “that’s cool.”

“Really?” Irene’s eyes widened.

“Of course, this isn’t the stone age, it’s fine with me. I shouldn’t go telling everyone though, right? The company would probably have a few things to say about it. I think that’s one reason they put me in the group. I guess they thought I’d run around telling everyone my unnie’s secrets. Well, the joke is on them.”

“We’re trying to keep it as quiet as we can. They’ve already have said some sh…said a few words to us about our relationship last year,” Wendy said, trying to edit herself.

Yeri laughed, “I’ll bet, I’m used to it. You won’t have to worry about me meddling or telling anyone. I’m happy for the two of you. I’m just here to work hard for our group. Your secrets are safe with me, I’m ready to handle whatever they want to throw my way.”

“Thanks Yeri, I wasn’t expecting this much of a mature response from you, but you’ve just proven me wrong.”

“Us too,” Seulgi said, “We were wondering last night what you might say.”

“Well this business is tough, so finding someone to love, care, and support you is important, whether a friend or something more like Wendy Unnie and Irene Unnie have.”

Wendy and Irene smiled at their new member

“I do have a quick question though…”

“What is it, Yeri-ah?” Irene asked.

“Do I need to switch rooms with Wendy unnie?” Yeri joked.

“This kid’s got jokes,” Joy said.

And everyone laughed, knowing that Yeri would fit in well with the group.

 

-----

 

The meeting at the company went well, because they were so nonchalant about Yeri joining, as if they’d already known that she would be added.

“So, how do you like your new member?”

“She’s great,” Irene said, “It’s nice to have a member that really brings up our energy during practice.”

“She gets along with us so well that it was like she’s been with us from the start,” Wendy said.

“We talk a lot and share stories, she’s a lot of fun to be around,” Seulgi chimed in.

“What about you Joy, you used to be the maknae, now what?”

“Oh, Yeri is an awesome maknae, she listens well, and helps us if we’re feeling down. I’m happy to change my image as long as it helps the group.

The faces of those in charge seemed confused as the five of them held hands walking out the door.

 

-----

 

Back at the dorm, they sat in front of the tv and watched a drama that Seulgi loved.

“Did you see their faces?” Yeri asked, “Priceless.”

“They thought we would all be against you,” Joy said, ruffling Yeri’s hair.

“I’m really am glad you’re with us Yeri, when we promote in a few weeks, you can be our energy pill,” Irene said.

“You got it boss,” Yeri replied.

 

-----

 

Later that week, Irene and Wendy were alone for the night watching a movie until the other three came back from a restaurant.

“Once our promotions are over in a couple months, let’s try to go see your parents again,” Wendy said.

“I-I’m nervous about that, but I think we can make some progress this time.”

“Don’t be nervous, we’re together in this.”

“I know—“ Irene was interrupted by the three girls exploding through the door.

“We’re back,” Joy yelled from the door.

“We know,” Irene whispered.

“I heard that.”

The three girls ran to the living room and jumped on the couch with Wendy and Irene, squshing everyone together, “The crew’s together again,” Joy said.

“And I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Wendy whispered to Irene.

 

-----

 

Thanks for reading! Be back soon!