Chapter 11 -- We're gonna put on a show! I am an idol, after all, chu!! (Part 1)

Tentomu chu!! desu~ (Dropped)

It’s been a week since the event with Miki and the Nightmare Mirror. The Akuma activity has stopped and it seems peace and Japan has remained longer now.

At the same time, Tentomu chu has become more active and we’ve been able to become more known in Japan. We’ve even been booked for our first official appearance on TV.

"And here’s one of this week’s biggest stories, the newest unit from Akihabara music agency, Tentomu chu."

"Guys! Check it out, we’re on the news!"

"Maji?!" We all walked over as Miki turned up the volume on the TV.

"We had fans vote for their favorite member out of the seven girls, and the top ranked was the center of the group, Kojima Mako."

"Sugoi~"

"Congrats, Mako-chan!"

"Me?"

"Every time I see Mako, I feel so happy, I can’t contain it."

"She’s as bright as a star. I always love seeing her at the café."

"Mako-chan’s Smile Power gets me through even my bad days. She’s my idol, for life!"

"You heard it here, first. Kojima Mako and her ‘Smile Power’ has taken all of Japan by storm."

"My… Smile Power?"

“It’s because you’re always so happy and smiling, Mako.”

“Your ‘power’ is being able to make others happy.”

Really? I never thought that was a power…

“Also, another rising star taking Japan by storm is 15-year old actress—”

“Guys!” Before I could hear the name of the actress, Miichan came in. Miki turned off the TV as we walked over to her.

“What’s up?”

“I just got off the phone with the producer of the TV show we’ll be appearing in.”

“What’d he say?”

“He asked us to all perform our special talents on the show.”

“Our talents?”

“What kind of variety show is that?”

“It just so happens today’s broadcast is a special. They’re having a celebrity talent contest, and they want us to figure out something for each of us to do.”

“I got something!” Miki ran over to the other side of the room and pulled out a big red suitcase. “I’ve been waiting to use this for years!”

“What’s in there?”

She opened it and I saw there was a suit and giant bow tie, a hat, and a magic wand.

“A magic kit?”

“I could perform the ultimate magic trick on live TV! It would be SO awesome, right?”

“That’s amazing, Miki-chan.”

“Me too,” Nagisa raised her hand, “I could do some good ol’ fashion Osaka-style comedy!”

“I can probably find something to do for the show real quick.”

“Meru too!”

“How bout you, Makocchi?”

“Eh… I.. really don’t have any special talents.”

I’m sure everyone will come up with something amazing to do. I don’t have any skills like that; I’m just a normal girl.

Well, as normal as it gets.

“Um…” Ryouha spoke up. “I-I don’t think I can do it.”

“Ah, that’s right. Ryouha-tan has stage fright.”

“Don’t worry. I can fix it.” Miki looked through her suitcase and pulled out a golden pocket watch. “Here!”

“What’s that for?”

“I’ll show you. Nana.” She held Nana’s wrist and pulled her forward.

“Eh? What?”

“Just relax.”

She held out the watch and swung it in front of her. Nana’s eyes were locked on it, not looking away from it.

After a while, though, her body started swaying and her eyes drooped as she continued following the watch. Miki raised her hand and snapped her fingers.

“Sleep.”

Nana’s head dropped and her eyes closed. We all stood in amazement; Mio even shook the girl, but she didn’t respond. She took one of her hands and raised it up, and when she let it go, it fell limp at her side.

“Sugoi~”

“Miki-chan, you know how to do hypnosis?”

“I learned it after I saw this guy do it on TV. It came with the kit, so I thought I’d try it out.”

Miki leaned closer and whispered in Nana’s ear.

“When you open your eyes, you will think you are an alien.”

Eh? What’s with that suggestion?

She snapped her fingers again and Nana’s eyes opened. She spoke in a monotone voice.

“Greetings. I am an alien. From this moment forward, we shall proceed in the conquering over planet Earth. We appreciate your accompliance.”

“Eh? That’s kinda scary.”

“Miki-chan, turn her back.”

“Okay. Nana, wake up.” She snapped her fingers one last time and now, Nana was completely out of her trance.

“What happened?”

“Long story.”

“So, basically, Miki, you want to hypnotize Ryouha?”

“And that’s going to get rid of my stage fright?”

“Trust me, it’ll work.”

“Okay, well… can we just try later? I’m still a bit scared.”

“Alright, alright.”

“Hey, we should get down to the studio.”

“Oh, right!”

“Let’s go!”

…..

“Woah…” We all walked into the studio and saw the huge set for the show.

“It’s a lot bigger than I imagined.”

“Miichan, you’re going to be a guest MC, right?”

“Yup. I’ll also be a representative for our team.”

“Cool~”

As the guys were looking around, I was still trying to figure out what I could do.

Nagisa suggested I did comedy, like her, and even came up with a gag for me to do where I demanded someone give me 100 yen. Then when they refused, I made it 1000.

If I can’t come up with anything else, that may be my last resort…

“Hey, guys, look.” Miki pointed over at a group of girls on the other side of the set.

“Oh, no. Not them.”

“What is it?”

“They’re idols under *Nogizaka Productions.”

“Nogizaka?”

“Yeah. Even though they don’t have powers like us, they consider us their rivals in the idol world. They don’t even know who or what we are.”

“Are there other agencies like that?”

“Only one. An idol group called *Shinjuku Girls. They’re under a production agency known as *Full Moon Productions. The three of us are the top music industries in Japan, and Nogizaka Pro. likes to fight with us for the top, while Shinjuku Girls remains passive.”

"Well, well, well."

"Oh crap…" Miichan muttered, but then quickly faked a smile to the Nogizaka girls. "Hey~ Sakurai-san. It’s been a while."

"So, this is who you brought for the competition."

"Yup. This is Tentomu chu!"

"Hahaha. Tentomu chu?! Sounds like a bug."

"Hey, look, girls. I would LOVE to chat with you, but we need to rehearse our act, and you should, too.”

"Heh~ we don’t need rehearsal, we’re all ready to go on."

"Seriously?"

"Yup. We’ve got our top 3 doing ‘*Sailor Zombie’ by *Milk Planet."

"From the drama featuring Shinjuku Girls?"

"Uh-huh."

"That’s awesome."

"Good luck, ne?"

"Haa? We didn’t come here to make friends and chat idly. C’mon, girls."

The Nogizaka team walked away, but I noticed that one girl had separated from the group and slowly walked back to me.

I recognized her as the face of Nogizaka, Ikoma Rina.

"A-ano… You’re Kojima Mako-chan, right?"

"Yes. And you’re Ikoma Rina-chan. I’m a really big fan."

"Ah, th-thanks… Uh, even though both of our agencies our rivals, I’ll be cheering you on, okay?"

"Un! Me too."

Rina giggled and blushed a bit. She’s so cute.

"Ikoma!"

"Ah, gotta go. Bye."

"Bye, Ikoma-chan. Good luck."

She smiled and waved back at me as she went to her group.

“Alright, people, we’ll be live in a few minutes! Let’s stand by!”

“Places, girls!” Sakurai-san said to her group, setting up everyone.

“You guys head backstage and get ready,” Miichan said to us. “One of the staff will be sure to call you guys out when you’re on.”

“Okay.”

“See ya, Miichan.”

We all went into our backstage room and the TV so we can watch the broadcast. There was even a countdown clock on the screen to when it would start.

As everyone got changed into their performance outfits. I sat and watched the TV as the news rolled on. It was showing me again, performing at the café.

“Kojimako ‘Smile Power’ wins the hearts of Akihabara.”

“Smile Power…huh?”

“Alright, everyone. We’re live in 5, 4, 3…”

…..

“Good evening, everyone! Welcome back to Nippon Star Talent! I’m your host, Sakurai Sho!”

“And assistant, Kono Asami! And~”

“Hai! Akihabara48’s Minegishi Minami. I’ll be your guest MC for tonight. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.”

“It’s been a while since you’ve come on here, right, Minegishi?”

“Yes. 3 months.”

“Eh~? Has it been three months already?”

“Seems like it, haha. I will be representing for my team in today’s talent competition, so please look forward to it, everyone!”

“Right, and now, to kick things off, a special treat. From Nogizaka Productions, Ikoma Rina, Shiraishi Mai, and Nishino Nanase, performing ‘Sailor Zombie’.”

…..

“Uwaa~ The crowd’s really getting pumped.”

We all watched as the Nogizaka girls came out and started performing. That shy Ikoma-chan I met earlier, was now sparkling and shining like the idol she is.

Kawaii sugiru
Sailor Zombie
Yatto arawareta
YEAH YEAH

Kocchi wo muite
a namezuri suru
Kimi no egao ni yarareta

“Sailor Zombie is pretty popular, huh…”

“That’s probably because of the drama series. Apparently, the lead role was played by this big star actress.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, and the girl’s only 15!”

“EEEEH?!”

“She must be under Nogizaka Pro.”

“Or she’s in Shinjuku Girls.”

“What’s her name?”

"Inui Maiko-chan.”

“Not her character’s name, Miki. Her real name.”

“Oh, it’s—”

“Excuse me!” Before she could answer, one of the staff came in. “Kitagawa-san, you’ll be going on first.”

“Eh?! Why me first?”

“5 minutes.”

As the staff left, Ryouha crawled into a little ball and went into a panic attack.

“I-I can’t go out there yet. Not yet! No, no, no!”

“Ryouha-tan…”

If Ryouha can’t go on, what’s going to happen?

=============================

Footnotes

*1. Nogizaka Productions - An idol agency in Tokyo and rivaling group of Akihbara48 productions. All Nogizaka46 members are present, but do not exist as the group Nogizaka46 themselves.

*2. Shinjuku Girls - An idol unit under full Moon productions. Although they are considered rivals with Akihabara48, they don’t care about beating them at being the top idol group.

*3. Full Moon Productions - A production agency that licensed Shinjuku Girls as their title idol group. The manager is unknown.

*4. Sailor Zombie - A drama series that starred members of Shinjuku Girls, the lead played by their ace. The theme song is the same name.

*5. Milk Planet - A unit under Full Moon Productions that sang the theme song for “Sailor Zombie”. Even though their names are the same(Mayu, Yui, Karen), they are completely different from the actual AKB48 members.