A Step Forward

Between Black and White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona POV

I sighed deeply for the nth time that morning even though the sun had yet to rise.

"Last night was too exhausting and I don't think tonight is going to be any better."

Suddenly I felt Yuri place a hand on my shoulder, her breath tickling my ear.

"My Lady it is time to make your appearance."

I looked towards the window and saw that the first few rays of sunlight had begun to light up the sky.

"So it is... Yuri will you accompany me? I fear that I do not feel too well this morning."

Yuri's face immediately fell and she seemed worried.

"Shall I tell the king? Perhaps you should rest today."

"No it is quite alright. It is not that I do not feel well but rather that I feel a lack of energy. That is all."

"How was I to explain to her that I felt more comfortable with her next to me?”

"Are you quite sure My Lady?"

"Do you dare to question the authority of your master?"

I hated playing the "I am your master" card but really... Yuri was being awfully stubborn this morning. All I wanted was to be near her.

Nevertheless Yuri disregarded my rude remark and she bowed very low.

"Forgive me My Lady. Of course I shall accompany you."

She trailed closely behind me, so close that I could feel her breathing down my neck.

We reached the throne room where the King and Princess waited.

"Good morning Yoona!" greeted the King.

"Good morning Your Majesty."

As usual Jessica was truly as cold as her nickname, the ice princess. 

She scowled at me and did not bid me good morning.

The King nudged Jessica in the ribs.

"Come now Jessica. That's no way to greet your fiancé."

I cringed at the word "fiancé" and if I was not mistaken I thought I had heard Yuri growl under her breath.

"Father I have not agreed to your engagement plans. I won't marry Yoona! I'm going to marry Tiffany!"

This time the King frowned at his daughter and his only child.

"I will NOT have you marrying her! I admit that Tiffany is a nice girl but she is not within your social circle! You are the heiress to the throne! A powerful wife such as Yoona will make the kingdom prosper! I will not argue with you about this subject matter again!"

Yuri coughed slightly before Jessica could retort.

"Excuse my rudeness Your Highnesses but I believe delaying the Morning Ritual any longer will cause alarm and panic to the people."

The King sighed and rubbed his beard

"We will discuss this later Jessica. Yoona please get on with the ceremony."

I bowed and closed my eyes.

Soon I was able to enter a dimension that none could see but my own eyes.

~~~

It was always dark here.

I guess you would call it the other realm

A space in time that exists between the Heavens and our own. It is also a space that exists between our own and Hell...

In the mornings it was my job to coax the absolute good spirits of Heaven to rejoin our world to bring forth a good day.

When they rejoined our world, the people of the kingdom would receive their "heart" back from the nightly world.

Surveying my surroundings... I saw that most of the spirits were still asleep.

There was only one way to awaken them. It was to recite the poem of morn.

"Come rejoin the world I call home.

I beg to receive grace of the Holy Light.

May we all be Her humble servants.

As worthless as we may all be.

I pray that the Holy Light see mercy upon Her weak offspring.

Please bless this land again with Your presence."

The world around shimmered and I saw the spirits begin to awaken.

~~~

"I have finished the ritual. It is time to greet the people."

~~~

Ironically enough I found this time of day to be strangely beautiful.

Standing out on the balcony of the castle we all watched as light orbs from the sky flew into the houses of the people.

Their hearts were returned to them every morning so that their lives could be filled with good fortune from the Light.

Yuri took a step closer to me as a large beam approached.

Reflexively, she grabbed my hand in slight bewilderment.

The light absorbed itself into the center of our chests, its warmth radiating throughout our bodies.

I smiled slightly at my guard's touch.

Her hands were warm.

Yuri must have noticed my little smile since she leaned in closer.

"Does something please you My Lady?"

"If only you could hold me like this forever."

She blushed at my sudden confession.

"As do I so I may be graced with Your Presence forever My Lady."

~~~

Jessica POV

I slammed the door shut to my chamber and groaned in frustration.

“Why can’t I be with Tiffany?!”

My father had wanted to have Yoona engaged to me the moment he understood what she could do. Her beauty was overwhelming and it was natural that I found myself attracted to her. But it was merely just that. I did not feel connected to her at all. She was obviously meant to be with someone else. Anyone who wasn’t blind could see that she was meant to be her guard, Yuri.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter