Making My Move

Matchmaker

        It's been four days filled with constant fails, yelling, and embarrassment. Every single day since Yugyeom and I went to the nurse, Nakoudo would find some way to trip me and make me land on Yugyeom in some way. Like on Wednesday, we were walking and she stepped on my heel making me fall forward a little bit just when Yugyeom was about to turn the corner. And at lunch, she would always move to make me sit between her and Yugyeom.

        Thankfully, she didn't try anything this morning and I made it to first period without embarrassing myself. But then again, I didn't see Yugyeom yet. I thought that maybe he was just late so I continued the regular morning stretches that we always do while keeping my eye on the door. The late bell rang and there still wasn't any sign of Yugyeom. I thought back to yesterday and remembered him coughing a little during the last period. But he said he was fine.

        "Well, of course, he said he was fine," Nakoudo stated when I brought up Yugyeom, "He didn't want any of us to worry, he's a Matchmaker after all" She shrugged like it was normal. I looked at Junior.

        "What do you do when Nakoudo does this?" I asked, figuring that he would answer something like 'She gets mad when I stay but I stay with her nonetheless.

        "There's nothing I can do really, she goes to school when she's sick, I'm just there to catch her if she falls." Jackson overheard the conversation.

        "Awwwwwww so cheesy" He teased "But whenever Mark get's sick, I just stay home with him but when get sick, Mark doesn't even visit me!" He looked at his boyfriend accusingly. The elder just shook his head with a mouth full of pizza.

        "I visited you that one time," he swallowed before continuing, "and I ended up getting sick with you! Ever since then, when I try to see you when you're sick, you're mom kicks me out." I saw Jaebum pout from across the table.

        "Youngjae, how come you have never visited me when I got sick?" He turned to the other black haired male with the unnatural frown.

        "You're never sick!" Youngjae pushed him slightly, I watched Jaebum think of a time he was sick.

        "He's right Jaebum, you're never sick." Junior laughed. Youngjae made a 'Ha' sound, causing the older man to grab him and hug him tightly. It looked painful from where I was sitting.

        "You'll be there for me when I do get sick right?" Jaebum cooed uncharacteristically into a struggling Youngjae's ear.

        "Yeah, yeah, yeah, if you get sick, now let me go!" Nakoudo began to laugh, talking about how Jaebum was being an 'abusive boyfriend'

        "No! It's not even hurting him see!" He let go of a panting Youngjae for examination. Once Youngjae was freed, he pushed Jaebum lightly, barely causing the other man to move. Everyone watched for a brief second before bursting into laughter, including Youngjae.

        "Ha! Youngjae good job!" Jackson held his hand up for a high-five which Youngjae returned happily. 

        "So back to Bambam," Nakoudo called attention, "You have to go see him after school and finally make a move."

        "But he's sick, I don't want to bother him, or get sick like Mark." I looked down at the lame excuse.

        "If you don't walk there yourself and take a picture with him as proof that you did, we will all personally drag you over there and throw you inside." Nakoudo's monotone voice threatened me. I looked up and around the table to see nods. I sighed and hit my face in my arms.

        "Fine" I muttered loud enough. Cheers went around the table and Jackson's hand hit my back a little too hard for a congratulatory pat.

        I was seriously wondering if I should turn back now, I was already at the park, actually, I've been at the park for over a half hour debating whether or not I should go in. I paced the sidewalk in hopes that someone would spot me and tell me to go home, that would be a good excuse. Like always, my luck went bad and instead of a neighbor, Yugyeom's sister saw me. She opened the door and beckoned me to come closer. I looked both ways before crossing the empty street.

        As I did, I saw her quirked eyebrow judging me. "Whatcha doin' over there? Waiting for someone?" She opened the door wider and signaled me to come in.

        "Kinda..." I was waiting for an angry neighbor to chase me away I said to myself.

        "You're probably here to take care of Yugyeom huh..." I looked up at her wondering how she knew.

        "Well, I knew you wouldn't come here to hang out with me," I opened my mouth the object but she cut me off when she said, "there's nothing bad about that by the way," I closed my mouth again as she continued. "You hang out with Yugyeom a lot so of course you would be worried" She counted with her fingers, "Plus your whole group just called for me to look out for you" I blushed and looked away. She giggled and pat my head like a puppy."It's okay, I'll tell them you came straight here and that you didn't do anything else like stay outside for who knows how long." She walked into the kitchen with me following behind her.

        "So... What do you want me to help you with?" I asked, looking at the pot of soup.

        "Bring this bowl up to Yugyeom and stay for the night? I don't think I'll be home because I have to head off to work soon, such bad timing really. Thankfully, your friends forced you to come here or else Yugyeom would have been alone, and that's never a good thing." she poured a bowl and set it on the counter before slipping on a business suit.

        "Uh... I'll have to ask my mom" I made up more excuses, my mom probably wouldn't care and think that I'm over at Nakoudo's. She shook her head.

        "I'm sure she'll say yes if it's to help a friend, it's helping me too so just ask. You know what to do when a person is sick right?" She pointed to me with her keys between her teeth, she was almost out the door. I shook my head slightly, the only experience I had with a sick person was watching over my little sister while my mother got the medicine.

        I heard her sigh, "Okay well, make sure that he doesn't overheat too much if he gets a fever, set a cold cloth on his forehead and make him rest. Make sure he drinks a lot of water no matter how much he refuses. He has to take his medicine in about 3 hours so don't forget that." I nodded and she thought for a moment, "Oh, and make sure that he doesn't go out or do anything that could tire him out, like jogging, , cooking, or even walking. Just make sure that he stays in bed." She smiled before waving. "I'm off, good luck! Yugyeom is a grumpy pants when he's sick." She closed the door and locked it. I heard her car pull out of the driveway before I walked back to the bowl of soup resting on the counter.

        With the bowl in one hand, I used the other to knock on Yugyeom's door. I didn't hear anything so I knocked again, this time, I heard a quiet groan and took it as a 'come in'. "Yugyeom I brought you soup." I saw him jerk around in his bed to look at me in surprise.

        "When did you get here?" His voice was weak and I guessed that it was from coughing.

        "Not that long ago," I replied walking closer holding the bowl out to him. I saw him sit up, well try to. I put the bowl on the side table next to his neat bed before fixing his pillows and helping his upper body lay on them. "Is that okay?" I stood and looked at him. With a gentle smile on his face, he nodded. I saw his hand reach out for the soup and I shook my head, taking the bowl away and holding it out of his reach.

        "Bambam, I thought I was supposed to eat it"

        "I'll feed you." I took the spoon and blew on the steaming soup before holding it out to him.

        "Bambam-" I cut him off with the sternest look I could give. He didn't look scared but he kept quiet and ate. 

        "You take care of me all the time, it's about time I repay you," I said after a few spoon fulls of soup. When he swallowed, he shook his head.

        "I do it because I want to so-"

        "Then I'm doing this because I want to." I cut him off again. I saw the bowl almost empty. I fed him the last bit before asking, "Want more?" I saw his silver hair move side to side, indicating a shake. I puffed out my cheeks and thought about what to do now. I reached out for his forehead. He must have known what was coming because he leaned forward, pressing his forehead against the back of my hand. 

        "It doesn't feel like you have a fever..."

        "I don't, which is exactly why you didn't need to feed-" He was interrupted by a fit of coughs. I winced slightly, I could almost feel how much his throat hurt. I looked around the room for any kind of beverage. I grabbed the glass of water on his dresser and handed it to him, he drank slowly since he was being interrupted by more coughs. I watched his Adam's apple bob up and down whenever he swallowed.

        I tore my eyes away when he caught me staring. I took his cup after I stood up, "I'll go re-fill this" I stated before walking out of the room without a second thought.

        As the water filled the cup, I thought about how much of an idiot I was, I don't know what to do, and I was practically forced to come here, not to mention my hand was getting wet.

        Wait, my hand was getting wet. I looked down and saw that the cup was overflowing. I quickly ripped it away from the dispenser, causing more water to spill on the floor. I set the cup on the counter before grabbing paper towels and wiping up the mess I made. After I threw all the soaked towels away, I grabbed the cup and carefully brought it back up to Yugyeom.

        "Sorry for the long-" I looked up and saw that Yugyeom was sleeping. Setting the cup of water back on the dresser I spotted the medicine for Yugyeom. I checked the time on my phone, Yugyeom didn't have to take his medicine for another 2 hours. I looked around his plain room, he didn't have many things on his wall, just a calendar with some circled dates. I saw that he had a closet mirror. There was enough room to dance in... he dances?

        I pulled my phone out and went to my playlist before looking back at Yugyeom to make sure that he wouldn't wake up. I smacked my head in stupidity after a while though because I brought my ear-buds. When I plugged them in I immediately began swaying to the music. I took one earbud out of my ear to hear for any coughs or rustling before continuing to dance slightly. 

        I started with a simple 2-step and basic clockwork, moving my feet around the small area provided. I watched my feet through the mirror, looking for any mistakes. I made my movements a little faster moving up to a 4-step. I was so focused that I didn't see Yugyeom watching me with a slight smile. My blond hair flopped down on my forehead with every movement I made, moving my arms out so they wouldn't just be there doing nothing.

        I heard a slight cough so I looked up and met Yugyeom's eyes. Out of breath, I smiled shyly and rubbed the back of my sweaty neck. I must have been dancing for about 30 minutes, going through all the routines I knew.

        "How long were you watching?"

        I watched him sit up through the mirror, I turned to help him. I checked his temperature with the back of my hand again before moving away for an answer.

        "Since... ever?" he laughed, my jaw dropped. "Don't worry, though, you were great." 

        "You dance too right?" the words came out of my mouth before I could process how stupid it was. I looked around the room trying to avoid eye contact, I saw the empty bowl of soup.

        "Oh, I'll get rid of this..." I grabbed the bowl but Yugyeom shook his head and reached out for me. His hand was really warm, it made chills run down my back.

          "Don't uh...." I watched him search for an answer. His already red cheeks turned brighter and his hand slid down my arm to rest on the bed. "Never mind..." I felt the awkwardness and turned again to put the bowl away. When I came back, Yugyeom was coughing.

        I ran over to him and held the glass to his lips, hoping that he would be able to drink without choking. "Do you have any cough drops?" I asked, hoping that they would help a little with his throat, he couldn't take his medicine for another hour. He pointed to his desk with his unoccupied hand. 

        I searched his desk carefully, I was scared that I could break it, even though I was nowhere near strong. I found a pile of the yellow wrappers before scooping them up and bringing them over to the sick man. I unwrapped one and held it out to him.

        "Thanks," He said before sniffling. I watched him put the small purple object into his mouth. He smiled at me and yawned.

        "You should sleep," I suggested, "I'll wake you up when you have to take your medicine."

        "No... It's okay, I'll just wait, it won't be for a while-"

        "Yugyeom, you're sick, you're going to sleep now close your eyes." I watched him follow directions, he even got under his covers and laid his head on his pillow. He was still on the cough drop. "Wait, spit the cough drop out, I don't want yo to choke on it while you sleep." I gave him a tissue. I was really surprised when he just pit the cough drop out on the napkin. I threw it away in the bin while he drifted off to dream-land.

         20 minutes passed and he was beginning to toss and turn. I thought that maybe he was just trying to find a comfy position but he started thrashing around violently.

        "Yugyeom," I said, stilling his movements by setting my hands on his arms. I heard his pants and whimpers. I furrowed my brows and said his name a little louder, shaking him slightly.

        "Yugyeom wake up, it's just a dream, it's not real." I kept repeating those words. 5 minutes passed and he finally woke up, tears fell from his eyes and I wiped the away gently. I helped him sit upright and handed him the water, knowing that his throat must burn. I watched him calm down when he looked around the familiar room. He took that water shakily.

        "Mind telling me what your nightmare was about?" I brought the chair closer to his bed in an attempt to calm him down even more.

        "Just... Nakoudo has those kinds of dreams right?" He stared at me with the water still in his hands.

        I thought about it for a moment before remembering that Nakoudo used to get dreams of me leaving her, but now she gets them of Junior. I remember her going into denial every single time she has them.

        "Did you have one of those dreams?" He nodded and closed his eyes, I hugged him out of reflex, knowing that the breakdown was going to come soon.

        "Its okay Yugyeom, whoever was in your nightmare isn't going to leave you" Surprisingly, he didn't push me away like Nakoudo does, instead, he hugged me tighter and sobbed on my shoulder.

        "C-can you call my sister?"

        I pulled out my phone but then noticed that I didn't have her number. I looked around for his phone. I remembered that it was on his desk. "Hold on." I got up quickly and got his phone, bringing it back to him just as fast. I found her number and fumbled to press call.

        "Hello?" Her voice came from the receiver.

        "Tasukete, I had a dream..."

        ", Bambam, I have to go, make sure he doesn't do anything. And no matter what, Stay. With. Him." I knew the procedure. Yugyeom looked down and I saw fresh tears fall from his face.

        "Yugyeom, it's okay, I'm here." I told him, hugging him again. His behavior changed and he started to push me away. I gritted my teeth when I realized that I had to act now or he would definitely do something bad.

        I straddled his hips to keep his legs from kicking me off, I held his arms down to stop him from pushing me and I maneuvered my head so that my lips would meet his. I closed my eyes tightly, feeling his breathing and movements settle to a calm state. When he was breathing normally again, I opened my eyes to see him staring at me doubtfully. I stared back, determined to wipe the doubt away.

        "Yugyeom, I'm here, I love you, it's okay."