Goodbye Day

Heart and Breath

 

Chapter. 4 Goodbye Day

At Seoul Hospital

Hyomin’s POV

I try to adjust my eyes sight to neon light above my head, looking around an unfamiliar surroundings, I find one of my hand is attached to sling and other is held by a sleeping girl beside me.

“Hyomin , you are awake ! ” , Eunjung unnie squeals in delight, “ How are you feeling ?”

“I am ok unnie”, I smile to confirm that I am fine ,   “Can you pass me water, please?”, Eunjung unnie  rinses water from a glass jar and passes it to me while helping me up to drink, “I’ll inform doctor that you are awake”, before she gets the door, there is a slight knock on the door before it is opened revealing new comers, it’s Mother Soo Ae and Jiyeon.

“How are you, dear?” Mother Soo Ae asked with smile “I am good Mother”, while Jiyeon walks straight to my bed saying nothing but holds my hands, I know she is worried about me so I give her a reassuring smile.

“Did doctor check on her yet, Eunjung?”, “Not yet mother, I am going to tell them”, then Eunjung leaves the room to find doctor.

“Did it hurt badly?” Jiyeon asks meaningfully, I shake my head but I know she doesn’t buy it, her face is getting sadder, this is what I wish not to see the most , it reminds me of sad Jiyeon that I first met “ Jiyeon ah, I am fine, don’t worry”

Just then the doctor enters the room followed by Eunjung Unnie . The doctor asks how I feel and starts to check up on me. He warmly smiles and tells me that I am doing a lot better and will be discharged in a few days then he excuses himself.

“Girls stay here with your friend, I’ll go and talk to doctor for a while” , Mother Soo Ae informs us then she leaves the room. After that silence fills the room, Jiyeon still holds my hand while Eunjung is standing at the foot of my bed.

“ I am sorry Hyomin ah , if it wasn’t for you trying to save me, you would be in this condition” , Jiyeon looks at Eunjung unnie with unreadable expression , I can feel the tension in the room so I speak up

“ Pabo yah , why are you blaming yourself for this ?, it’s not your fault, I am glad that you were saved , by the way you made me discover a bravery side of me  ” I try to lighten the atmosphere by laughing it off , but it doesn’t sound funny for them , Eunjung unnie keeps her head low while Jiyeon keeps staring at her.

“ Don’t you get it when I asked you to take care of her ? ” , Jiyeon ask Eunjung unnie in serious tone

“ I am sorry” Eujung unnie guiltily apologies

“ Jiyeon ah , it’s not her fault “ , I was surprised to hear what Jiyeon said and I tried to stop her “ If it was you , I would do the same” I reason . My words seem to calm down a bit but she still refuses look at Eunjung eyes.  I know she was but Eunjung unnie didn’t do anything wrong.

 We don’t say anything for some good minutes until Mother Soo Ae returns.

“ Ok girls , Hyomin needs to rest and Eunjung , you have to go back and change your clothes, Jiyeon will take turn to look after Hyomin” , Eunjung seems unwilling to leave but she has to follow Mother Soo Ae’s instruction.  

 

 *******************

Few days later

Hyomin was discharged from hospital and backed to their dorm, she was treated with special care from her two friends. Three of them were told about Hyomin heart’s problem so they could be more careful of what they are doing to avoid affecting or worsening her condition. Jiyeon hadn’t told her two friends about the adoption yet, she had 1 week before departing Korea with the couple.

 Jiyeon tried to make the most out of time she had left with her friends, though inside of her feeling so restless. How she wished things were different, that Hyomin didn’t have this disease , that she didn’t have to leave her but she had make her choice, Hyomin’s life was more important, it was the only chance that she had to take to save her precious friend.

Finally it was two days before her departure, Jiyeon mustered all her courage to tell her friends about adoption

“ Guys , I have something to tell you” Jiyeon called for her friends attention , Hyomin and Eunjung anticipated of what they were going to hear, “ I have been adopted and I will be leaving in two days”

Short and clear but it was hard for her two friends to digest, it was such a short notice.

“ Why do you just tell us now ?” Eunjung broke the silent

“ I am sorry but I couldn’t find the right time to break the news” Jiyeon reasoned   

 “ Two days before leaving is just too short , we are not even prepared for that” Eunjung said a bit upset

“ I am happy for you Jiyeon ah” Hyomin said with smile which surprised Jiyeon and Eunjung a lot

“ You are not angry at me for telling you just now ?” Jiyeon asked puzzled

“ Why should I ? You are adapted which it’s a good thing, it’s not like you are gone forever, you can still visit us if you want.” Hyomin reasoned like a nothing is serious but nobody knows what she was feeling inside.

“ Do you think so ?” Jiyeon asked for confirmation

“ Yes, Jiyeon ah , it’s your chance to take it, plus it’s your dream to find your mom, take this chance to do that , you know we will always support you for whatever you do or wherever you are”

Eunjung still wondered how could Hyomin took it that easy but she understands Hyomin’s reason as well as Jiyeon , though she was a bit disappointed that Hyomin didn’t try to withhold her but she was grateful to Hyomin for making thing easier for her.

The girls tried to stay up all night to chat and plan of how to get in touch to each other.

 

************************

Goodbye day

A car was waiting outside the girl orphanage house, Mr.Raewon and Mrs.Ryeowon came to pick up Jiyeon to the airport, they looked friendly and kind so it made Hyomin and Eunjung felt at ease , it was finally the day the three friends have to say goodbye, they promised each other not to cry because this was not really goodbye.

“ Be good girl Jiyeon ah , and always listen to your parents” Mother Soo Ae hugged Jiyeon before releasing her.

Jiyeon nodded

“Promise me you will always write us letter” Eunjung reminded her youngest friend

“Promise” Jiyeon firmly stated

“Please take a good care of yourself Jiyeon ah , call us as soon as you arrive there”

“I will“ , “ Please stay healthy for me and wait for me, I’ll see you soon” Jiyeon  said holding Hyomin’s hand .

“ Yes , I will ” Hyomin nodded

“ Eunjung unnie, please promise me to take a good care of Hyomin”

“ With all my life” , Eunjung determinedly promised .   

The girls hugged each other for one last time before Jiyeon got on the car. They waved goodbye until the car was out of sight.

When car was gone, tear that Hyomin was trying to hold back, fell freely , and Eunjung was on the verge of crying hugging the younger girl  . While Jiyeon was crying inside the car looking out of window.

 

 

Please stay tuned, I have one more chapter in store before the girls grow up . Thank you for all comment.