Cold War

Heart and Breath

 

Chapter 10. Cold war

 

Since Jiyeon came back, three of them hanged out together whenever they could, but most of the time Jiyeon would spend more time with Hyomin. Jiyeon became a regular customer at One Page Café because she went there almost every morning. While Jiyeon and Hyomin were getting closer, Eunjung felt different, she felt like she was going to lose a person she had treasured as life, but she hoped she was wrong.

 

 At EunMin Apartment

Hyomin’s POV

“Bang” I’m woken by the noise heard from the living room, I peek through my door and see a silhouette on the floor, I can make it out all of sudden who is it, I turn on the light to find Eunjung unnie trying to get up on her feet so I rush to help her up.

“Eunjung unnie, are you alright? I asked worried

“I’m fine, Hyomin ah, go back to sleeppp” Eunjung answered sound drunk and I could smell strong alcohol from her breathe.

“Unnie, did you drink, what’s wrong?” I asked her surprised, Eunjung unnie was never like this, though she has worked at the pub, I’ve never seen her this drunk

“Hyomin ah, are you happy that she’s back?” Eunjung unnie asked which caused me frown

“What are you talking about unnie” I asked her puzzled what she was talking about

Eunjung unnie is about to say something when she suddenly runs to bathroom, I run after her, she is throwing up which I’m not surprised, she doesn’t have a high tolerance when it comes to alcohol, I soothe her back to make her feel better, after that I help to walk her to her bedroom, she lays in her bed tiredly, I use wet towel to clean her up and make she feels more comfortable till she falls asleep

“Hyomin ah, please don’t leave me” Eunjung unnie murmured in her sleep

“Eunjung unnie, I won’t do that, how can I do that to you?” I kneeled down beside her bed whispering to her ears, “Why you keep thing to yourself unnie, share it with me”, I feel bad for not being able to help her, I hold her hand while she’s sleeping, hoping she will know that I’ll always stay by her side no matter what.

 

The Following Day

Eunjung’s POV

I wake up to the sunlight that shines through my window, my head is throbbing like it would burst anytime soon, I try to move my hand but it’s locked, I turn to my side and see Hyomin sleeping uncomfortably with her head on bed edge, she must feel uncomfortable, so I wake her up

“Hyomin ah”, I said caressing her hair, she sleepily raised her head up

“Eunjung unnie, are you awake? How are you feeling? Hyomin asked worried

“Did you sleep like this since last night? I asked and she just simply nodded

 “Do you have a headache? Hyomin asked placing her hand on my head,

“I’ll make boiled rice for you then you can take medicine and rest more” She stated getting up from her sitting position.

“I’m sorry Hyomin ah” I apologized to her, but she shook her head and smiled at me to let me know that it’s alright “Nothing to be sorry for unnie” she said with assuring smile.  

Hyomin comes back after a while with a bowl of boiled rice, she waits until I finish it and pass me medicine. Then I go back to sleep

“Rest well unnie” I heard she said before I drift to my dreamland.  

 

***********

 

Hyomin called her boss to give him a short notice telling him that she would be late at work and may work only two hours, she was worried about Eunjung but since she gave her medicine and she wouldn’t wake up until daytime then she headed to her work, part of her she was afraid that Jiyeon might be waiting for her at the café. As thought, Jiyeon was waiting at her usual corner, seemed a bit anxious.

Jiyeon’s POV

I came to café today but I didn’t see Hyomin so I sent her message but she didn’t reply, I was about to leave the café when I saw her popped up message saying that she would be late at work so I decided to stay and wait for her.  Finally I see Hyomin entering the café in rush, she bows her head in 90 degree to her boss and her co-workers apologizing for being late then starting to work.  I steal glance at her time to time, today Hyomin looks so tired and it makes me worried, she still manages to work diligently and smile to her customers, I wish I could ask her to stop working here but I knew better than to hurt her pride.

 Today It’s very busy at the café and she can’t afford to come and talk to me but it doesn’t matter, I just love to be there looking her, it may seem crazy for others but for me every minute being with her is precious, I wanna make it up to the past where I lived without seeing her, and I never get tired of being here every single day. It takes until the end of her shift that she can come and talk to me, she sits down the opposite seat

“Hyomin ah, you look so tired today” I said brushing hair strain from her face affectionately.

“I’m fine, just not enough sleep” Hyomin said smiling, I know she tried to convince me

“Why?” I asked curious

“Eunjung unnie wasn’t well last night, so I took care of her” she split it out

 “How is she now?” I asked concerned.

“She got better this morning and I let her sleep more” Hyomin told me

I stand up and take her hand “Let’s go visit Eunjung unnie” I cheer up, Hyomin follows me and I lead her to a car and open the door for her

“Whose is this car?”  Hyomin asked

“My car” I shortly answered before closing the door for her and walk to the other side

“Since when did you get a car?”  Hyomin asked curious, I ignore her question and turn on easy listening music to make her relaxed, and soon after she falls asleep, I smile examining her sleeping face.

 At EunMin Apartment

I don’t want to wake her up but we’re already in front of the apartment “Hyomin ah, we are here” I softly wake her up, and she tiredly rubs her eyes.

Hyomin checks on Eunjung unnie as soon as we enter the apartment, but she’s not up yet. Hyomin walks to kitchen .

“Jiyeon ah, what do you want to have for lunch today? Hyomin asked me preparing to wear her apron but I stop her, she gives me a questioning look, I lead her to living room and try to sit her down on the couch.

“Rest here, I’ll cook for you guys today” I told her

“You can cook, can’t you?” Hyomin asked amazed about this new found information.

“Of course, I can, I learned it from my adopted mother ” I confirmed , “ You tire yourself too much, just rest and leave it on me” I told her looking into her eyes and she obediently nodded like a kid then I peck her forehead.

I prepared a few dishes for them then woke Hyomin up first, and after Eunjung after, I found out later that she was hangover which it surprised me a bit, but I let it slip, we enjoyed lunch together, they were quite surprised at my cooking ability. Then I offered to drop Hyomin at her university and went on my way taking care of my business.

“Ring Ring Ring”

“Hello mother, how are you? Yes I’m fine, don’t worry” I answered a long distance phone call from my adopted mother.

“ Arraso” I listened to her caring instruction

“Oh, please say thank you to father for arranging a car for me” I said feeling grateful.

“Yes, you too, please take care and eat well” I ended the call before making a another phone call

“Hello, ahjussi Kim, I’ll visit there soon, thank you for taking of it for me” I said to the person on the line. 

*****************

 Hyomin saw Jiyeon leaning her back against her car, smiling at her, she tried to smile back walking toward the latter, she loved that smile, and it never failed to make her heart beat with joy. Jiyeon had texted her earlier telling her that she would be picking her up after she was done with her business. As she walked closer to Jiyeon, she felt her every step was harder because of her fever and her head was spinning, just then she collapsed but Jiyeon was quick to catch her before she fell.

“ Hyomin , Hyomin” Jiyeon tried to shake her but she was already unconscious , she could feel the heat from the older woman, she carried her to the car and rush her to a nearby hospital.

Jiyeon was pacing back and forth in front of Emergency Room, she couldn’t think straight, and then a doctor came out to inform her that Hyomin was alright, she fainted because of her weakness and high fever, she needed to rest and Jiyeon was relieved a bit that it wasn’t something serious.

Hyomin looked so pale and Jiyeon couldn’t help but worried, she caressed the latter’s face tenderly and held her other hand that was free from getting fluid dripping.

“ Hyomin ah, please stay healthy, I don’t wanna see you in this condition, you know it aches my heart” Jiyeon said sadly to the sleeping woman.

“How is Hyomin?” Eunjung asked worried as she entered the room, Jiyeon turned around to see sweating Eunjung, it was obvious that she just ran all the way to here.

“She’s alright now, she was fatigue and she just needs to rest” Jiyeon answered coldly before changed her focus back to Hyomin.  Eunjung walked to other side of the bed examining the sleeping figure, she was feeling a dejavu, the past repeated itself,once again guilt was eating her from inside.

 “From now on I’ll take care of her” Jiyeon stated, “I’m back to keep my promise” she added

Eunjung knew what Jiyeon was trying to imply, she wasn’t that naïve not to know how Jiyeon felt for Hyomin but she would not give up on this game of love.

“And you know what, I’m not going to let go of her hand either” Eunjung said, giving a loving last look at sleeping women before exiting the door.  

************

Hyomin was discharged from hospital the following day, she was oblivious to the cold war that was building up between the other two. Jiyeon would avoid coming to the apartment when Eunjung was around, instead she would take Hyomin out for movie or dinner outside. While Eunjung was busily helping Hyori to expand the new branch of her night club, Qri was assigned to be responsible for new project with Eunjung’s assistance, she was so happy that she got chance to spend more time with Eunjung.

One day after visiting the construction site, Qri asked Eunjung to stop by at a coffee shop to have a cup of coffee, Eunjung was unwilling to do so but her boss’s order was her priority. When they entered the inside the coffee shop, the aroma scent was filled in the air, Qri chose a table for two facing to the road view.

“May I take your order please?” A sweet voiced waitress greeted them, and Qri was about to make an order when Eunjung turned around to face the waitress.

“Hyomin” / “Eunjung unnie” Eunjung and Hyomin said at the same time surprised.

“ I’ll have …..” Qri’s order was interrupted by Eunjung’s stern voice

 “We need to talk now, Hyomin” Eunjung said and stood up, she took Hyomin’s hand roughly pulling her out of the café, leaving Qri in puzzle.

“Unnie, I’m hurt”,Hyomin said, scared this side of Eunjung the most, Eunjung just noticed that Hyomin’s hand turn red because her strength, she was taken back but her anger got a better of her.

“How long have you been doing this?” Eunjung asked angrily when they were outside

“One year”, Hyomin replied, lowered her head

 “Didn’t I work hard enough to give us a good life?” Eunjung raised her voice at the Hyomin

“It’s not like that unnie, please listen to me” Hyomin started to cry

“What do you want Hyomin ah, what do you want, why don’t you just tell me” Eunjung was overwhelmed with anger and disappointment. She thought that Hyomin listened to her when she asked the latter not to work and she was always proud that she could take care of Hyomin well enough, but the truth she found out today, it hurt her pride and made her like a fool.

“ I’m sorry unnie” Hyomin spoke between her cry

Eunjung was about to pull Hyomin to the car when a hand blocked her from doing so.

“You can’t do this to her”, Jiyeon said coldly with her furious eyes

“It’s not your business Jiyeon” Eunjung tried to pry Jiyeon off but Jiyeon took hold Hyomin another hand

“You made her scared” Jiyeon raised her voice seeing Hyomin shaking and crying.

Eunjung came to her sense upon seeing Hyomin in vulnerable state, and released her grab.

“ I….” Eunjung wanted to say sorry to Hyomin but she was still mad at the latter

Jiyeon hugged Hyomin waist and led her to her car, she seemed shocked and lost.

“ I’m sorry Hyomin ah” Eunjung managed to say it when Hyomin was already left with Jiyeon

Qri followed them outside the café witnessed the scene “This must be a person that Eunjung really loves”, she thought to herself feeling hurt.