| Chapter Six |

Scared and Selfish
Yoonji's POV
 
 
Everything is off.
 
From me, to Shinwoo, to my mother. None of us were acting the same. My sickness grew worse as the days passed. It was a month before my birthday yet I couldn't feel the good anxiety of finally coming of age to move out and finally letting my mom be free from constantly taking care of me.
 
Shinwoo... He was always different just more now. A week ago we had went to the market in town. Eunji, him and I all stood around a food cart. Everything is fine until we heard screams and I had looked up just in time to see a big railing come falling down where we stood. Shinwoo had better reaction time than I had and covered us with his body. He had gotten hit yet he just pushed the thing off like it was nothing. He was fine.
 
He also would react more viciously when Jitae showed up. If I could take a wild guess I would say something else happened between them other than their growing hatred from the arm incident.
 
But even with these... 'small' incidents he was different because of something else. You could see it when you looked at him. He was troubled by something. When we were alone one day I tried to talk to him. Since he couldn't talk I would say a word and he would nod if I was on the right track. I wasn't right so I let it go and hoped he could figure it out himself.
 
I kinda missed his old weird self.
 
As for my mother, she was fidgeting every time I came near. I would catch her staring at me with wide eyes, some emotion in her expression, every time I would cough. It looked like guilt. Because of my sickness I didn't know.
 
I don't know what was happening but I could tell it wasn't good.
 
Shinwoo's POV
 
The doors to the lab opened and a group of people walked in, one of which was Doctor Kim. They all surrounded a gurney. As they grew closer I could make out a person laying on it.
 
Was it another one of his test subjects?
 
I watched as they pulled the person off, a girl to be exact, and place her on their lab table. They began to strip her of her clothes and put her into a white hospital gown. She was like a puppet in their control. They took advantage of the fact that she was unconscious and were more rough with her than needed.
 
Then Doctor Kim picked up the shot full of the serum. One of his assistants looked at him with uncertain eyes. "Are you sure you want to do this sir? This is your-" He was quickly interrupted by the stern voice of Doctor Kim, "Were you not told not to mention that? I believe we were told the rules before we agreed to do any of this! What we're doing here is highly illegal! And I suggest you keep your faith in what we're doing or else you will not be able to see tomorrow!"
 
The assistant only nodded and stood quietly. There was a few moments of silence before Dr. Kim continued his work.
 
I watchedas they injected her with the serum. Once it flowed through her bloodstream she shot up with a ear piercing scream. There were tears falling from her eyes endlessly. She looked no more than 5 years old but even so she was here, going through excruciating pain just for the pleasure of these sick scientists.
 
Herscreams haunted me in my sleep. Even after they had put her into a cell she was still whimpering. She had curled herself into a ball hugging her left arm to her body.
 
The memory of my first time here corrupted my thoughts. She was no different than how I was.