l Chapter One l

Scared and Selfish

Yoonjis pov

The car stopped in front of an old looking house. The stairs looking as if they might break when you'd step even one foot on them.

My little sister Eunji flew out of the car, already excited about being able to play freely in the large open fields. They went on for miles, taking up the land in front of our house. Behind it was woods, the tall trees were close together like they were trying to hide something.

"Yoonji! Come get your suitcases please." My Mom shouted to me as she opened the trunk. Slowly I got out of the car. The first thing I did was breathe in the fresh air, that's why we moved here anyway. From the corner of my eye I could see my moms piercing gaze on me, trying to see if this air would have an effect on me.

We use to live in the city, and since I have bad lungs the pollution began to take a toll on them. My doctor suggested moving somewhere in the country where the air was more fresh, so here we are. A place where the neighbors are at least a mile away and nature is all around you.

The peaceful atmosphere was broken when a car rolled up, the music blaring through the windows. I let out a sigh before rushing to get my bags.

Behind me a car door closed, the person greeting my Mother. Before I could leave to the house, a body leaned against the car next to me. "You know, if you just said yes to marrying me you wouldn't have to go through all this. You could be a stay at home wife who cooks, cleans, makes love." Jitae let out a long sigh, giving his fingernails an inspection. "But, you said no so you get to deal with all this fun stuff." He gave me a tight smile before walking off into the house.

Rolling my eyes I tugged my luggage's up the stairs, stopping to give the room a look. The kitchen and living room were connected, another closed door on the left. A staircase was in the middle of the living room leading upstairs where 4 rooms were held.

Eunji came walking down followed by two of the movers. "There's only 2 bedrooms up there, the other rooms are the bathroom and a smaller room that could be used as a place for storage. That door leads to another room though, most likely Moms. I've already picked out mine so you get the one down the hall." She spoke not letting me get a word in. As a response I only nodded my head then left her to boss around the movers.

My room was medium sized, a small window on the north wall that overlooked our front yard. I sat my luggage against a wall before leaving to get more.

-

By the time the sun set the movers had left, saying they'd come back on Monday to deliver the rest. My Mom was angry that they couldn't come on Saturday, explaining my condition and how it wouldn't be good to be sleeping on the cold floor but all they did was apologize and leave. It didn't bug me as much as her, nor did my sister care also.

After a small dinner I started to set up for bed. I laid down two big blankets to cushion the floor, then added some pillows and another blanket. My Mother checked up on me, opening my window to let some fresh air in, then leaving to go to bed as well.

Though as the moon rose fully sleep wouldn't come to me. I had a weird feeling about something, I couldn't think of what. So, to take my mind off it I took out my notebook and started writing.

A door outside slammed shut, the nose making me jump. I looked at the open window with wide eyes.

Getting up I peered outside. The shed door was opening and closing as the wind hit it. A shadow raced across the yard and darted into the shed.

Curiosity took over my thoughts and soon I was down the stairs and out the door. Slowly I made my way over to the shed door, a flashlight that I quickly grabbed from the kitchen was clutched in my hand.

Opening the door cautiously I flashed the light in. What was waiting for me was something I had never seen before. A face and body of a human but it was covered in fur, yellow eyes pierced me, sharp teeth inside a snarling mouth.

I let out a terrified scream and ran out. I could hear its feet hit the ground with heavy thuds.

Once I was inside the house I slammed the door shut, locking it quickly after. My Mom and sister were coming out of their rooms.

"Yoonji are you okay? What happened?" My Mother rushed to me checking my body for any injuries.

I pointed a shaky finger at the door, "I-I seen something, something beastly. It's out there!" I cried out.

My Mom went to look out the window then checked to see if the door was locked.  "Alright you girls just go to bed. I'll check it out tomorrow." She ushered us up the stairs wishing us a good night.