| Chapter Five |

Scared and Selfish
Yoonjis pov
 
"Ok, Shinwoo, here's what we're going to do. I will say "eat" then you can have the potatoes. Ok?" His attention was more focused on the potatoes in my hand than what I was saying. This wasn't going to be so easy.
 
I slowly held out one potato for him. But as soon as my hand got close enough to him he quickly snatched it from me and gobbled it up. I let out a 'tsk' sound as he finished it off and looked at me with wide, innocent eyes.
 
I gave him a flick in the forehead, "No, Shinwoo! What did I say?" I ripped the potato in half and put one piece in each hand. "When I say 'eat' you can have it." I took a bite out of the food to show him.
 
Trying once more I held it out to him. This time he went for the potato but stopped when I made a noise. The three kids, who decided to stay and watch this entertaining moment, oohed at his restraint. Waiting a couple more moments, only because he looked oh so adorable all anxious, I finally said the word. "Eat." Once the piece was in his grasp he tore into it, some pieces flying onto the grass.
 
That would be another thing to work on.
-
"Wow! Mom you're not going to believe what Yoonji got Shinwoo to do today!" Eunji cheerfully screamed as soon as she made it through the house door. My Mother, who stood in the kitchen preparing food, stopped her actions and peered at her curiously. "She taught him how to eat properly! It did take quit a few potatoes and a lot of time... but she did it!" I cringed once she told Mom about the potatoes. They were our lunch..
 
I got a hard stare from her but she seemed to let it go because I'm sure even she was annoyed by the eating habits of this strange boy.
 
We all gathered around the table to eat. My Mother began to set out the but did so slowly, almost waiting for Shinwoo to grab at it. To her surprise, he didn't. He only squirmed in his spot, a habit I've noticed he does a lot when he wants something. And that something is mostly food. 
 
My Mom sat down after everything was set on the table, "Okay, we can eat now." Me and Eunji mumbled our 'thanks' and began to place some food on our plates. Once my plate was full I moved onto Shinwoos. By now he looked to be in pain because of the restraint. 
 
"Good job Shinwoo!" I praised him while giving him his plate with food, "Now you can eat." Once the word left my mouth he was all over his food. 
 
- (A/N Sorry this is boring) 
 
The next morning I woke up to an empty house. I already knew where my Mother and Sister were but where Shinwoo was is a mystery. Knowing he would be okay, or at least I hoped, I went to the kitchen and started to make some breakfast for myself and a little extra for Shinwoo. 
 
While I was cooking the eggs the door to the house opened and closed, and when I turned I seen Shinwoo scramble across the floor to his usual spot on the chest. 
 
Both plates were filled with some eggs, toast, and some fruit. I sat down and gave the extra plate a look. Behind me, I could hear the scratching of the pencil as Shinwoo tried to write. Clearing my voice I turned to him, "Um, Shinwoo?" His head shot up, the pencil stopping. "There's some extra food here for you." He got off the chest and ran to the chair. Remembering the lesson I taught him yesterday I said 'eat' before eating myself.
 
There was no conversation to start, or even one to hold, so I just ate in silence. Shinwoo got done quickly and proceeded back to the chest to continue his little hobby.
 
I was cleaning off the dishes when the house door opened once more. Shinwoo's home and no one else gets back at this time..
 
"Yoonji!" A gruff voice echoed in the partially empty home. My shoulders slumped as I recognized who the voice belonged to. "Oh, are you already done with breakfast? I was hoping my wife-to-be would let me have a little taste of what is to come." Jitae said in a playful tone. He slung his arm over my shoulder and squeezed me to him.
 
"Please get off me, Jitae! And I'm not your "wife-to-be" and nor will I ever be!" I spat at him as I turned and gave him a shove. He let a scoff and grabbed my wrist, "Yah, don't you know who pays for your medical bills? Surely not your good for nothing Father. You owe me, Yoonji." I almost gagged at how disgusting his words sounded but before I could do anything he let go of my wrist with a pained look.
 
Without anyone noticing Shinwoo had gotten up and grabbed Jitae's wrist. He was quit stronger then all of us, how when the boy wasn't even properly fed before I don't know.
 
Jitae let out loud groans from the pain and even tried to get Shinwoo off him. Luckily for him, the boy let go. Jitae hurried to get his shoes on and get out of the door. Before he left he turned to look at me, "You'll regret this, Yoonji! You and that beast!" He shouted and then followed up with slamming the door.
All was quiet for a few minutes. Feeling that it was needed I gave Shinwoo a quiet 'thank you' for his actions. He said nothing in reply and I took that as my time to leave him to himself.