| Chapter Four |

Scared and Selfish

Yoonji's POV

I took the box of books up to my room and began to unpack them. I put all my school books on my table leaving the ones I didn't need in the box.

I was about to close it when one caught my eye. It was the How to Train Your Dog book. I grabbed it and skimmed through the pages. Chapter 3: how to control your dog. It showed pictures of a dog pulling on its leash, getting into trouble, and one of the dog stealing food. That was one of the boys' problems. .

But would this really work? He's not a dog you pabo. It wouldn't hurt to try though. .

-

"I was thinking of a name for the boy. ." I stopped stirring the potatoes and turned to her, "It's his what? Second, third day here and we're calling him 'boy' like he doesn't deserve a name. He can't speak so it's not like we can just ask and hear his reply. I thought about the name Shinwoo. . It sounds nice and it's what I would've called my son if I had one. ." She drifted off in thought.

My grip on the fork tightened at her words. So she was taking care of him because she wanted a son? She's already burdened with taking care of Eunji and extra care for me. But now. . now she has to look after a boy who cant even talk?

I let out a breath to try and calm myself, "So. . you're taking care of him because you didn't have a son?" I know where this was heading but I couldn't refrain myself from at least trying to talk some sense into her.

She looked up from the news paper with a shocked look, "N-No I. . that's not exactly why. Yoonji he can't even talk!? What do you expect me to do? Just leave him out in the world to fend for himself? How could you be so cruel?" Her voice was raising with every word spoken and yet I continued to push forward with the conversation.

I slammed the fork down onto the counter. "You know that is not how I am! I just don't want you to overwork yourself. You already have to make sure I take my pills, and see if I'm still alive in the night! Now add on a boy, a teenager, that can't even eat properly. I don't want you to have even more on your plate, Mom." My breathing was getting hard just adding on to the frustration I already felt towards myself.

My Mothers eyes were shiny and I knew what she was going to say. "Yoonji-ah, you don't have to blame your health on yourself. You were born that way, it's not your fault." Her voice was gentle and had a soothing affect on me.

"I'm going to look for Eunji and Shinwoo." I secretly put some potatoes into a napkin before leaving the house.

I followed the trampled down grass to a section of the fields where Eunji and the neighbor's kids usually played. As I got closer I could hear them yelling to each other about the game they were playing.

Shinwoo was crouched on the ground with the pencil in his hand carving marks into the dirt. He looks kinda cute. .

No no no. I shook my head to rid myself of the thought.

When I finally reached the small group the neighbor's kids greeted me politely, Eunji giving me a small nod, and Shinwoo just stared. "Mom thought of a name for him," I looked over at Shinwoo as an indication. "Shinwoo."

The three kids began to say it quietly to themselves. Jiyun, the neighbor's daughter, spoke first. She went up to Shinwoo with a big smile, "Shinwoo!" I smiled as she let out a giggle. He didn't react in a bad way so,

Shinwoo it is.

A/N Ayeee this story and so do I at writing :-)