| Chapter Three |

Scared and Selfish

Yoonji's POV

After Eunji and I struggled for 5 minutes to get the boy to wash his hands, we joined my Mother at the table. I sat next to my sister, my Mother and the boy across from us.

Before we could get anything the boy shout up and grabbed the food. He stuffed as much as he could and chewed loudly. Food flung out in every direction, some falling from his mouth. My Mother gasped at the sight. "What's wrong with him?" She tried to grab him but retracted her arm in fear of him doing something to do.

"What are you going to do about him?" I asked her while dodging some flying food. She sighed, "I called the county office today, we have to bring him in for questioning but until then we're going to have to take care of him. Poor thing..." I couldn't help but disagree with her last statement. We were already struggling, even with the money my Father gives. It runs out fast when you have to move and pay bills, along with buying my medicine.

Eunji tried to grab her bowl of rice but he got to it first. The sight of him with pieces of food covering his face and the table covered in his scraps and mixes of fallen of food made me lose my appetite. Not like their was anything for me to eat anyway.

I stood up, smoothing out my jeans. "I'm not hungry, I'll go to bed first. Goodnight." With one last look to the beast who was still attacking the food I left up the stairs.

-

I could hear my Mothers voice through the thin walls. She was setting up a place for him to sleep in the small, extra room we had. She said something I couldn't quite make out before I heard the door close.

My eyes began to droop and just as I thought I could get some sleep I heard some shuffling next door. It was a repetitive rhythm. Shuffle, shuffle. Pause. Shuffle, shuffle. Pause. This continued for a few more minutes before a loud thump was heard then a loud howl.

I let out a whine and covered my ears. "I'm starting to think he really is a dog!" I whispered fiercely to myself.

His door opened and my Mothers voice rang out in a loud, irritated tone. "Stop making funny noises, you shouldn't do that at night! Come down!" Another thump and then silence. The door shut once more, and hopefully the last time.

Finally my eyes closed and I fell in to a deep sleep. No more disturbances from anyone.

-

The next morning I was left alone. Eunji was either at school or playing with the neighbors kids and my Mother went into town. A half of a cob of corn was in my mouth, my teeth clenched around it so I wouldn't drop it as I searched for my books.

My Mom had been pestering me to get back into studying all morning and with nothing else to do I thought I could do exactly that. But since we had just recently moved in there was boxes laying around yet to be unpacked. One of those boxes being my books.

I was looking through one box and though it was filled with books they weren't the ones I needed. One of the books I had come across was a training manual for dogs. I bit the corn cob to stop myself from laughing. I could use this to train the boy. I almost dropped the cob as my lips pulled up into a smile.

Stepping away from that box I looked at the others. I almost hit myself for not actually looking thoroughly when I spotted a box that literally said "Yoonjis school books." I put the cob onto a plate before shuffling over to the box.

Just my luck, it was on the bottom of two other boxes. I was tempted to ask the boy for help but decided against it. Plus he looked pretty occupied in scribbling on the ground with a pencil..

I tried lifting both, then when I couldn't, only one but it didn't budge. A shadow loomed over me, getting bigger and bigger. Jumping up and looking back I seen it was the boy.

He was hunched over and walking slowly towards me. "Get away! Get away from me!" Falling back on the floor I slid away. He only continued to walk closer, stopping just in front of me. He bent down with his arms out. "Y-yah! What are you doing? Mom!" I screamed with fright as he reached out over me. I hit his back screaming for him to get away.

When he moved away I was filled with embarrassment. He dropped the two boxes and growled lowly at me. I grabbed the box and moved away from him.

Yoonji you are an idiot.