yours forever more

Yours Truly

The book was left forgotten in favor of the chores she had neglected. In her haste to get to the post office, she hadn't tended to the fireplace. Now only smoke and smouldering wood were left from last night's fire. Eunji could feel the chill seeping and settling into her bones. With pale, shivering fingers, she quickly made another fire and sighed when heat flooded the room. Now warm and comfortable, she boiled water for tea.

 

The rest of the day was spent cleaning, studying, cooking, and tinkering on the piano. She hadn't given a thought to the book left sitting on the living room table until she was preparing for bed and was looking for something to read before going to sleep.

 

Gingerly, she took the book in her hands and inspected it. He had took great care of the book. A miracle, considering his living conditions. She opened it to a random page, and was immediately surprised when something fell out of it.

 

Eunji's heart pounded when she realized what it was. A letter.

 

Without thinking, she tore through the envelope, impatiently ripping it open.

 

Unfolding the paper inside, her eyes hungrily roamed over the words before she in a shaky breath. Only three words on a blank white page.

 

I'm coming home. 

 

Eunji didn't know how long she would have stared at those three simple words, but a knock on the door shocked her out of her stupor.

 

Her face was frozen into a look of fear. Not fear of the unknown, but fear of who she knew was behind that door. Her friends never visit her this late at night. Her parents would've told her if they were coming.

 

This morning she had been hopeful to receive a long awaited letter, but she hadn't been prepared for this. To see him in the flesh.

 

But then remembering how cold he must be outside in the night air, Eunji shook off the irrational fear and walked to the door with purpose. This was what she had been looking forward to for so long. This was her prayers finally coming true.

 

The man behind the door was not the same as she had remembered. For one thing, he had certainly grew taller, and broader, Eunji thought bemusedly when she had to crane her neck up to look at him. He looked haggard, probably from the long trip. There were bags under his eyes and stubble on his face, further proof that he had not thought to clean up or rest before coming to see her.

 

Eunji felt a thrill going through her at the thought.

 

"Have you eaten yet?" She asked when the silence between them became stifling.

 

He shook his head and uttered a soft, "No."

 

"How about some milk and cookies?" Eunji asked brightly, and ushered him into the house. "I have cinnamon oats."

 

Hyungsik's answering smile was brilliant.

single-rose-white-thumb.png

Eunji,

 

November 16, 1962.

 

Today marks the first birthday with you, and I can honestly say I am happy to be alive. You have been lovely, and supportive, and strong for the both of us. You are incredible. You are kind. You are brave. You simply are.

 

You are many things. A daughter, a sister, a friend. My confidant. My motivation.

 

I will be brief. I'm going to ask for your hand, and you are going to say yes. You are going to be a wife, a mother, and the best damn lawyer this country has ever seen. I will give you anything you want, anything your heart desires. All I ask for return is for you to accept me. Love me. And I am yours.

 

To quote that silly book of yours; You have bewitched me body and soul. You and your laugh and your quips and your fine eyes. Jung Eunji, I love you most ardently.

 

Later, I will burn this letter unread and sealed, because my dear, as much as I adore you I know how much you enjoy laughing at my expense. Hopefully you do not need words to know how much I care.

 

The clock is chiming, and midnight is upon us. My pocket is heavy with your ring.

 

Don't you dare say no.

 

-Hyungsik. 

 

divider.png

Dear readers, you must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love all of you. Thank you for being with me for this.

XO – Kat.