sincerely

Yours Truly

Eunji-ssi,


 

I found your last letter too interesting to leave it unreplied.


 

In regards to your fascinating list:


 

Number 1. Older recruits here, mostly middle-aged men in their forties dislike chocolate. Or anything sweet, really. And they're all perfectly sane, mind you. But it's a good thing for the rest of us, since we get their share of dessert during the rare times we were given something other than bland meat, unseasoned vegetables and army rations.


 

Number 2. As you said, the only people that would know are ones who had taken a look at my birth certificate. I don't usually hand out my birth certificate to everyone, Eunji-ssi. Contrary to your belief right now only family and a handful of close friends know that I was born and raised in Seoul. And now you know as well.


 

Number 3. I refuse to acknowledge this. I'll offer new information instead; My favorite color is silver.


 

Number 4. Ha! I'm not an introvert, nor am I shy. I'm just not too fond of letter writing. And you often write enough for the both of us anyways.


 

Number 5. Yes, I do.


 

Why do letters have to be a specific length? I wasn't aware there was a rule about that.


 

-Hyungsik.


 

tumblr_inline_mzbheipqrh1qc0a2r.gif


 

Dear Hyungsik-ssi,


 

June 11, 1962.


 

You sir, are an unpredictable man. And a mighty cruel tease, at that.


 

For weeks, you gave me no hint, not a clue, of your conditions at camp. And now suddenly you dropped a bomb like that on me?!


 

(Oh. Probably not a good expression to use.)


 

You were moved to the active duty roster. Alright. But where? Why? What's happening now?


 

And don't you dare ignore my questions again, Park Hyungsik! Not after you had given that kind of information to me. I'm a very curious woman, and very persistent. I'll drag it out of you somehow!


 

I had to leave the desk for awhile, because I was feeling too agitated to write properly. I won't apologize though; I meant every word I said, even if it was said in anger and frustration.


 

Now, I want to address your second letter.


 

Don't think I don't see the sarcasm when you wrote the word 'fascinating'.


 

I'm not an organized person, Hyungsik-ssi. I don't write lists. I rarely plan. I live in the moment, and whatever comes next, I attack it head first and deal with the consequences later. It's not a good habit to have, but it's a thrilling way to live.


 

But for you...I mean, when it comes to you, I feel like I had to write everything down, lest I forget. Because you're, like I said, still a mystery to me. You reveal so little of yourself, that I have to read carefully between the lines to truly understand your character. I feel that you are like a bunch of numbers, a calculation. Or some puzzle that I need to put together so I can see what the final picture is. I don't want to miss a single piece of your puzzle. Hence, the list.


 

Alright, I will give you number one and two. Your favorite color is silver? That's interesting, but not really surprising. Silver is a strong, cold color. More sophisticated than grey, but less showy than gold. It makes sense. Everything makes sense.


 

Maybe you're not an introvert, but perhaps introspective? The way you write your words...I feel as if each word is carefully chosen, every sentence carefully constructed. You're efficient. You don't waste time or waste words... how truly masculine of you, Hyungsik-ssi.


 

I think I have a masculine energy as well. Or at least, I am an extrovert. I think the two are connected somehow. I would have to do more research on that. I'll see what I come with next time, hm?

 

 

I knew you would warm up to me.

 

 

Write to you soon.

 

Sincerely,

Eunji.


 

tumblr_inline_mzbhen2XOg1qc0a2r.gif


 

Eunji-ssi,


 

How much thought have you actually put in trying to figure me out? I'm starting to think you get a lot of enjoyment out of this, Eunji-ssi. I am curious. What else have you discovered so far?


 

I'm also curious about your university major. When you said research, it made be wonder if you're studying pyschology, or some type of human behavior. Honestly, you don't seem like the type.


 

You are dissecting my personality with colors now, are we? You're getting desperate, Jung Eunji. Once again, if you want to know more about me, all you have to do is ask. I promise I'll not be offended... much.


 

I have no clue what you're talking about. I haven't been ignoring you. I thought you understood that everything going on in the camp is confidential. And... I don't want to burden you with any of this. We aren't at war, but things aren't exactly warm and pleasant over here.


 

-Hyungsik.


 

tumblr_inline_mzbheipqrh1qc0a2r.gif


 

Dear Hyungsik-ssi,


 

June 29, 1962.


 

Oh yes, it's such a fun pastime for me—trying to figure you out like I'm a scientist and you're a chimp. You're lucky I'm not physically there to poke inside your brain.


 

I don't seem like the type to study human behavior? What is that suppose to mean?


 

I am currently studying law, thank you very much. Surprised?


 

Not desperation, merely logical. Why else would you tell people what your favorite color is?


 

I have done the research, by the way. As it turns out, it is all somewhat connected to astrology signs. You know... Libra, Virgo, Aries, etc. Fire and Air signs are extrovert, and they also possess masculine energies. Earth and Water signs are the opposite. So, what sign are you, Hyungsik-ssi?


 

Or better yet, you can go ahead and tell me your birthday! That would be number six.


 

I am a Leo. Some facts regarding Leo and how they relate to me is accurate, but most aren't. I have hidden depths. Are you surprised?


 

I know you're right. I shouldn't be trying to pry in the first place. I'm surprised that they are confidential thought... does that mean our letters have been read by other people? Oh, the thought is so disturbing! It's such an invasion of privacy.


 

Hey, Mr /Miss/Madam Letter Checker Person, or whoever that's reading this: Shame. Shame on you. I understand it is your job, but still.


 

Hyungsik-ssi, I am completely put off with the idea that some stranger had been reading our private correspondance. And more than a little embarassed. All my ramblings and corny jokes! I have been exposed! Do you mind if I end the letter short this time? There haven't been much going on that are worth writing about anyways. Perhaps you can think of a topic, in the letter that I'm hoping to get soon?


 

Take care, and have a cookie. You can take one too, Mr/Miss/Madam Letter Checker Person.


 

Sincerely,

Eunji.