cordially

Yours Truly

Dear Hyungsik-ssi,


 

March 28, 1962


 

When I first received the letter from you, I thought it was a joke that Bomi was pulling on me. She was the only one who knew of the letters I had sent you.


 

I had tore the envelope open eagerly, and embarassingly enough, my hands were even shaking from the excitement. Imagine my disappointment when I unfolded the paper to reveal...well, you knew what you had written.


 

Still, however short it was, it was still a response and I'm glad. I feel like it's progress, even though the main content of your letter (if I can even call it that) was asking me to stop writing to you. Oh, I can assure you that's not happening. You don't have the power to intefere in promises made by other people, you see.


 

I'm glad to know at least one thing; you had been reading my letters! I thought you would throw all of them out without even opening the envelopes, and that would be a waste of that piece of chocolate I sent you! And I have sent you more of them. As much as the envelope can fit. You didn't specifically mention if you liked it or not, but in the event that you don't, just give it away to your fellow comrades or something.


 

Along with the chocolates, I've slipped in a few photos of the trip from Suwon! Yes, it was wonderful and I did enjoy it very much. Although, I didn't take as much photos of the scenery than the wonderful food that Bomi's mother keeps feeding us! If I haven't tasted my mother's cooking before, I would have said that her mother's food is the best that I've ever tasted! This was quite odd to me because Bomi is the complete opposite; she can't cook at all although she had tried! Oh, I realized that I haven't told you yet, but Bomi is also my roommate, which is how I know these things.


 

The photos of the food look delicious, don't they? I hope you don't find me cruel for sending these and making you hungry; I actually want your opinion on something! Bomi's mother had given me recipes for these dishes and I was wondering which one you think I should try first. All of them looked difficult, so I was hoping to just focus on one dish first. Which one would you recommend I try first?


 

That reminds me that you still haven't answered my question on whether or not you were originally from Seoul. In fact, you haven't answered any of my questions at all. So I'll keep asking until you do.


 

Were you born in Seoul? If not, where is your hometown? Do you really have plans to study abroad? And where are the places that you would like to visit?


 

Do I sound like a busybody again? Have you found me completely intolerable yet? Well I'm still a little indignant about your 'letter', so I'm feeling a bit petty. But no harm; as long as you make sure I don't scare you off or disgust you too much that you stop reading my letters which will make me feel like an utter moron, then I don't mind your short replies. I didn't even expect to get them in the first place, so it was a nice surprise.


 

Tell me how have you been? I'm more than a little curious about what's been going on there...war is over, and this is the start of an era of peace, but how is the country really faring? How are you faring? Are they treating you well? Physically, mentally, emotionally? Please don't evade these questions again, it's driving me up the wall not to know anything of your condition!


 

I felt like that was a little too forward. I apologize. I have no right to force you to answer any of my questions or to inquire after you as if I am your guardian. You don't have to answer any of that if you don't want to. You have no obligation to me, after all.


 

I'm going to end my letter here. Now that you've replied, see how long it had gotten! Yes, that is my sign that I would like for you to keep writing. Thank you.


 

Cordially,

Eunji.

 

 

th_rose.png?t=1324868274

 

Eunji-ssi,


 

You didn't have to send more chocolates. But I did like them. Thank you.


 

The photos were lovely as well.


 

If you insist on being stubborn and keep writing, I won't stop you. And you were right before; letter writing isn't my thing. But it's also because I don't know you that well, and you're writing to me as if you've known me your whole life. I'm not offended. I just find it strange.


 

If you must know, yes I am born in Seoul. I do not plan to study abroad, as it was my father's wishes and not mine. I don't have any places I would like to visit--not yet, anyways. Right now I would like to go home, is all.


 

I don't know much about cooking, but try the dakdoritang.


 

-Hyungsik.

 

 

th_rose.png?t=1324868274

 

Dear Hyungsik-ssi,


 

April 12, 1962.


 

Did you just admitted to being homesick? There's no shame in that, of course, but I'm just touched that you cared to admit it to me. Or maybe I'm just thinking too much about it.


 

Oh I'm glad you liked the photos. You can keep them, by the way, not that I expected you to send it back anyhow—just looking at pictures of the food will fill you right up! It's unfortunate that the photos are in monotone black and white, but colored photographs are still far too expensive!


 

It was a little strange for me as well to write to you at first. Especially the first few letters when I received no reply, it was as if I was writing to a ghost. But even now you seem like a ghost. You're so mysterious, Hyungsik-ssi. It's been four months yet I barely know five things about you.


 

The dakdoritang had been a success. You can never go wrong with soup; I made it mostly for Bomi who said that it tasted almost like her mother's! I'm happy.


 

As usual, stay safe and stay healthy.


 

Cordially,

Eunji.

 

th_rose.png?t=1324868274

 

Eunji-ssi,


 

What's wrong? You don't sound happy.


 

I'm sure you know more than five things. In any case, what would you like to know? If you're so curious about me.


 

I assure you that I'm really not that interesting of a person.


 

-Hyungsik.

 

th_rose.png?t=1324868274

 

Dear Hyungsik-ssi,


 

April 26, 1962.


 

I admit I was a little baffled after I read your last letter. There is nothing wrong and I didn't know why you would assume that something is. I tried to recall what I had written to you on my last letter, and I seem to remember that at the time I was writing, it was after a long day at the University and working the evening shift at my aunt's bakery. My young cousin, who usually helped her mother around at the shop, had came down with the pox so I volunteered my services there for a few days until she was well again. My aunt and cousin has always been nice and helpful, so I wanted to repay them in some way.


 

Anyways, I may have written the letter when I was exhausted from a day's work. It wasn't my intention to sound so aloof, but I admit that I don't recall much about what I had written, only that the letter was shorter than usual. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have sat down to write when I wasn't in the proper state of mind to do so. To make up for it this letter shall be twice as long than any other I've ever written!


 

Although if we're pointing fingers... your last letter is the shortest that I've ever received. You scribbled that on a piece of paper from a notepad, didn't you? I don't even know why you bother with an envelope; next time just roll it up and attach it to a pigeon. It saves money from stamps, that's for sure.


 

So, you may or may not care but last week was one of my friend's birthday. Kim Namjoo, I'm sure you remember her—short hair, dimples, always carries a hand mirror around and checking it whenever she could? Yes, I think you would remember her. We planned to surprise her with a little party, and Bomi and I volunteered to bring the food. I'm not as adept at baking cakes as I am cooking traditional Korean dishes, so Bomi made the cake and I made miyeokguk and Namjoo's favorites—dakbokkeumtang and kimchi jjigae.


 

She loved the food, and she loved the party. The whole affair was really lovely. There was singing, and there was chatter, and Bomi did her inappropriate but wildly hilarious gorilla impression again. You haven't seen it, have you? I wished you could have seen it. Maybe you can, after you come home. I'll persuade Bomi to do it again! She's so embarassed about it, but she always does it when she's told. Me thinks she likes the attention!


 

I also think that the highlight of the party was when Chorong-eonnie gave Namjoo a letter from her sweetheart, who, as you can guess, has also been enlisted. (Partly the reason why we're such good friends...we can understand each other's situation!) Namjoo is young you know, but it's so touching that she already has someone that loves and cares for her like that... he sent her the most sweetest letter! I didn't read it, of course, but Namjoo was crying happy tears afterwards so I know the letter must have been something.


 

How nice to receive such a birthday gift! I'm a little envious... maybe you can send me a letter that will make me cry happy tears on my birthday too! Oh but I think the only tears I can cry with your letters are tears of frustration... I jest, I jest! I think you've learned not to take these jokes too seriously by now, hm?


 

I can't really appraise your character from the short responses you so generously bestowed on me, but I recalled that at least you had a sense of humor, yes? Well, Jihyun-eonnie had laughed a lot when she was around you. You must tell really great jokes! Oh please, won't you tell me one too?


 

Before I forget, about your... offer. Oh, I'm not going to ask you anything if you're not willing to share them yourself. Perhaps I do know five things but they're nothing impressive, I warn you.


 

Number 1. You like chocolates. But then, what sane human being doesn't?


 

Number 2. You're born in Seoul. Although anyone can get that information if they would just glance at your birth certificate.


 

Number 3. You have horrible handwritting. Not horrible, per se, but uninteligeble. But that could be my fault. I'm not good at writing or reading cursive. 


 

Number 4. You're either an introverted person or you're just very shy, since you find it so difficult to open up to me even though we've been corresponding for awhile now. Are you easily shy, Hyungsik-ssi?


 

And finally, you secretly enjoy my letters.


 

Write soon, and do help me extend this list of five to a hundred. Take care!


 

Sincerely,

Eunji.

 

th_rose.png?t=1324868274

 

Eunji-ssi,


 

I was moved to the active duty roster today. I don't know why but the first person I thought to tell was you.


 

-Hyungsik.