yours sincerely

Yours Truly

Eunji-ssi,

 

I'm shocked, Eunji-ssi, for a variety of reasons.

 

First of all, you're studying law? My mouth has dropped to the floor; you're not pulling my leg are you?

 

Secondly, you don't know my birthdate? I asummed you had tried to pry that information from people who know me.

 

Mayhaps people ask each other about their favorite colors so giving gifts would be easier? Let's say, if I wanted to buy you a tablecloth, what color would you like it to be?

 

Everyone has hidden depths, Eunji-ssi, I just didn't think your depths were that deep.

 

Yes, all this time our letters have been read by a stranger. I thought you knew that? This is why I'm a little perturbed that you would so casually reveal so much about your personal life so callously like that.

 

Oh, so you care about what a stranger thinks of you but you didn't mind me before? I don't know if I'm supposed to be insulted or not that my opinion of you matter less than some letter checker person.

 

That was a short letter? This is a short letter, Eunji-ssi.

 

I don't know. We can talk about why you like sending cookies to people? Not that I'm complaining. You're an excellent baker. I'm always surprised how the cookies aren't crushed by the time it reaches me. You didn't put cement in there, did you?

 

I will hear from you soon?

 

-Hyungsik.

 

 

Dear Hyungsik-ssi,

 

July 14, 1962

 

You're funny, Hyungsik-ssi. Just so funny. I'm adding another thing I know about you: you sir, are a cruel and merciless tease!

 

What is so odd about me studying law? Honestly, everytime someone finds out about my area of study, they all seem surprised and skeptical. It's so insulting! Like they don't even know what I'm capable of, but they are so quick to judge me!

 

I haven't a single clue to who actually 'knows' you. Apart from... you know.

 

I wonder what type of people you associate yourself with? Are they bullies like you? Or are they actually more decent? If the latter is the case, I would like to get to know them.

 

...now why would you give someone a tablecloth?

 

I'm learning more and more about you, Hyungsik-ssi. And the process has been enlightening.

 

My depths are not deep? Oh that does it! You have gotten onto my bad side now. No more cookies forever!

 

I think you would know if there are cement in my cookies! You would have died by now! Or have your stomach pumped.

 

With that said, I'm surprised by your willingness to eat something given by a stranger. Did I seem trustworthy from the first letter? Is that why you didn't throw my letters away?

 

Are you jealous that I like the Letter Checker Person more than you? Because I do, right now.

 

I'm not taking as much effort to make my letters long anymore. I just felt like I had to, like an obligation. I like this more casual way of writing.

 

Yes you'll hear from me soon, silly monkey.

 

By the way, you kept writing 'Eunji-ssi'. There is no need for that. Just 'Eunji' is fine.

 

Yours Sincerely,

Eunji.

 

 

Eunji,

 

I warned you I'm not shy. I guess I've gotten comfortable with you, Eunji. You make me feel

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I had to stop writing because the alarm was raised. I won't write the details, but it had been... a close call. A few people I knew had gotten injured. Nothing life threatening, but it had rattled us.

 

I'm exausted, Eunji. My veins are still pumped with adrenaline that I'm doing all I can to keep my hands still so I could finish this letter.

 

I'm thankful for your long letters now, even if I do also prefer this new casual way of writing. I'll read your letters before I go to sleep tonight, to calm my nerves.

 

Goodnight Eunji... and I hope to see you soon.

 

-Hyungsik.

 

 

Dear Hyungsik-ssi,

 

July 22, 1962.

 

Words cannot described how scared I was when I was reading your letter, and how relieved I was when I read the end of it. I'm just thankful you're not hurt.

 

It was a riot, wasn't it? It was front page news on the paper. A criminal detained for interrogation, but someone had broken him out and it caused a riot. There's a traitor among you. Please be careful, oppa.

 

...you don't mind if I call you oppa? Sorry, it just slipped out. If it bothers you, just tell me and pretend I never wrote that.

 

I hope your friends are okay! Bomi's been worried sick because she hadn't gotten a word from her intended. I hope he's alright as well, for her sake.

 

I take back about my no cookies thing. I've sent you a parcel of cookies! You deserve it, and if customs doesn't agree with me, then they must not have a conscience!

 

You hear that, Letter Checker Person? This have been a three-way correspondance for half a year now, certainly you can find it in you to do this one small favour.

 

To know that I could do something for you, even in the smallest sense, means the world to me. I'll uphold my promise to keep sending you letters until you come home, not only because of Jihyun-eonnie, but also because I want you to know that I'm always here if you need me. You'll always have someone, and you won't be alone there.

 

I'll pray you'll come home safe.

 

And... your first paragraph. What was it you were going to say?

 

I make you feel... what?

 

 

Yours Sincerely,

Eunji.