yours truly

Yours Truly

Eunji,

 

It wasn't my intentions to leave you hanging. After what happened... my thoughts were distracted and my writing was rushed. I don't understand the sense of urgency either, I just felt like I needed to get a letter to you as soon as possible.

 

It's slightly embarassing to say now. You make me feel... motivated, I suppose. After Jihyun's passing I felt aimless and depressed. You've given me a sense of purpose again. In this short time you've become someone that I care about. Someone that I want to come home to.

 

I'm comfortable around you because I feel like I've known you for a long time. If that made any sense.

 

Call me whatever you want, I don't mind.

 

You do know our letters aren't read by the same person each time. But perhaps your words got through to them, because I received your gift in good shape. They were delicious! The cinnamon oats were the best, in my opinion. But send more of your double chocolate chip. You can't go wrong with chocolate.

 

I'm sorry I caused you worry. I realized that I don't like it when you worry about me. I told you that I'll come home soon, and I will. Donn't lose hope, alright?

 

Have you figured out my birthdate yet?.

 

-Hyungsik

 

 

Dear Hyungsik-oppa,

 

July 31, 1962.

 

Would you just tell me already? You really like teasing me, don't you?

 

I'm so touched that you feel that way. I won't ever do anything to break your trust, or say anything that will make you uncomfortable. I'm here for you, oppa, whenever you need me.

 

The cinnamon oats, you say?! No one ever likes the cinnamon oats! My personal favorite is the honey pecan, but I'm not surprised that my double chocolate chip was a hit!

 

I haven't had time to bake these past few days. My friend Bomi is not doing so well. She doesn't smile as much, and that's unusual for her. I'm worried. In three days it would be Bomi's birthday; I plan to take her to the salon and bake her a cake and later we'll all go dancing together. Bomi do so love parties. I hope it'll be enough to cheer her up.

 

I'm going to ask you something I've been curious about and you won't deny me! I've met you before but it had been a long time ago. I doubt that you look the same as you were back then. If I were to greet you at the train station, would I be able to recognize you?

 

Yours sincerely,

Eunji.

 

 

Eunji,

 

No, I don't think I shall simply give you the answer. That would be robbing you of the pleasure of figuring it out on your own, wouldn't it? I would never be so cruel as to take that away from you.

 

Women and parties. I will never understand your enjoyment for them. They are nothing more than a gathering of nosy gossips and clumsy drunks making a lot of noise in one room.

 

I don't think I look any different. I simply have shorter hair and a dead look in my eyes. But what do I know? I haven't looked in a mirror in weeks.

 

-Hyungsik.

 

 

Dear Hyungsik-oppa,

 

August 10, 1962.

 

Oh! You're infuriating. But I laughed for a entire minute after I read what you've written. Har har. You have a rather sarcastic and blunt sense of humor don't you? Very well, I accept your challenge.

 

You are just one charming Mr. Darcy, aren't you? Parties also have music and most of the noise are of people laughing and having a good time! Speaking of which, all this prepation of Bomi's party has made her more cheerful again. She's almost back to her old self now. You see, a party can also be very healing!

 

I imagine you are taller and broader, unless you've reached your growth spurt the last time I saw you. I jest! I know how men can be when their masculinity is insulted. At least, you know what I look like from the photos I sent, so you could find me easily at the train station.

 

Yours Sincerely,

Eunji.

 

 

Eunji,

 

Despite your passionate words, I sense a bitterness. Now I feel awful, Eunji. You must know that I didn't intend for my 'sarcastic' and 'blunt' sense of humor to rub you the wrong way.

 

I was born on November 16. I feel that it's only fair to make it up to you. And I feel that it's only fair that you know my birthdate since I know yours. By the time this letter reaches you, it shall be your birthday. Or perhaps a day after or before your birthday.

 

Happy birthday, Eunji, and I truly am sorry that I have nothing to give you.

 

Who or what is a 'Mr Darcy'?

 

Always I would imagine my coming home. Yours would be the first friendly, familiar face I will see.

 

-Hyungsik.

 

 

Dear Hyungsik-oppa,

 

August 18, 1962.

 

Bomi! She told you about my birthday, didn't see? She went though my letters and got your address! Ooh! How sneaky is she?! I am incredibly displeased with her right now.

 

What else have you two been secretly corresponding about?

 

Bomi and the girls did put together a nice little party for me, so I can't be upset for too long. It is my birthday today. I am twenty-one already. I'm practically an old maid.

 

You're not obliged to give me anything, oppa. Besides, you told me your birthdate! You're a Scorpio, I see. Why am I not surprised?

 

Mr Darcy is a literary character! I suppose I can't blame you for not having read any of Jane Austen's works. So, to rectify that, I've sent you my own copy of Pride and Prejudice. Read it when you have time. Just make sure to take good care of it!

 

Yes, of course! I'll be waiting.

 

Yours truly,

Eunji.

 

Blomsterrad5.gif

 

The start of the autumn season bought a new chill to the air. Eunji clutched her shawl tighter around her; with the well worn copy of Pride and Prejudice nestled against her chest.

 

She had made the trip to the post office with anticipation riding in her belly, thinking that today would certainly be the day she would received a letter from him. It was the first day of September and she had not heard a word from him since the week before her birthday.

 

She tried not to think of the reasons why he had stopped responding. She refused to mull on it because none of those reasons were true. He promised. He would come home.

 

There was no letter for her today, but it wasn't important. The book was. The book was proof that he was well, or at least, he was alive.

 

And he had not forgotten her.