Seeds

The Strangers

Jung Taekwoon

 

 

 

Black. Cold. I was alone with a million stars. The sun had set only moments ago, and everything was quiet. I could feel the air beginning to stir, notifying me that, indeed, He was coming. The night was, as I mentioned, cold, but since He was drawing near, sudden swirls of heat surrounded me, then passed, leaving me cold once again.

I shifted uncomfortably, hugging my arms closer to my body. My hanbok was thicker than the one I had worn for Hyojong's inauguration, but I was still shivering. I closed my eyes and exhaled, drawing heat from within my body and letting it out in a cloud of steam which warmed me. I did not use these powers often, yet sometimes they were quite convenient.

The wind then picked up, and my eyes flashed open. I turned my attention toward the direction the wind was blowing from. It was Him. I briefly wondered which... form He would take tonight, hoping that it was His more human form this time. I did not have to wonder for long. With no warning, He appeared, tanned face just inches away from me, followed a few moment's later by Hongbin. Ugh. I wasn't sure which one I loathed more.

“Have you been waiting long, Taekwoon?” He asked, folding his arms behind His back and blinking innocently at me. It took everything I had not to strangle Him.

“No,” I answered flatly, not even bothering to look at Him when I replied. Hongbin was glaring at me, which caused me to laugh.

“Is something funny?” Hongbin spat, still glaring at me. I didn't respond. I simply let my eyes pass over his angry face with the coldest expression I could muster.

“Now, now, kids. I didn't bring you both here so you could argue. No, we have much more important business to attend to,” He paused, looping His arm through Hongbin's then mine, and then continued by saying, “Come,” in a calm, yet authoritative manner.

“Where are you ta—” I began asking, but my words were cut off as I was through darkness.

I had no idea how long we were in the darkness like that. I didn't know which direction we were moving in, or whether we were moving at all. I could still feel His arm wrapped around mine, but I couldn't speak. As soon as I opened my mouth to say something, my words crumbled away. I couldn't scream or protest or escape. Anxiety filled me like sand. My breathing became shallow and rapid. I felt like I could vomit at any moment. Please, somebody help me, I thought in desperation.

As soon as it all started, it was over. The three of us were standing in a dimly lit hallway, facing a closed door. I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to figure out why we were here and how this was “important business”. He squeezed past us, holding a finger up to His lips so we remained silent.

He whispered, barely audible, “I'll explain momentarily.” Then, He opened the door and slipped behind us, motioning for Hongbin and I to step forward. We made brief eye contact with each other, both hesitant. I suppose he didn't know why we were here either.

I stepped up to the door on the left, placing a hand gently on its white-painted wood. Hongbin was on the right, his ear in the space where the door was ajar. Slowly, I pushed my arm out, opening the door quietly.

The first thing I noticed was the bed in the middle of the room. It was a large, four-poster. A sheer canopy laid across the wooden pillars, and soft, white blankets adorned the mattress. It looked so inviting. On my left were French doors, open to the balcony outside. Curtains were fluttering in the breeze. I could smell the sea. Moonlight was pouring in. The right side of the room contained a fireplace, smoldering in the night. An ornate chair and matching end table faced it. A book was lying open on the end table, but I was too far away to see what it might be about.

Then, someone in the bed stirred.

I hadn't even noticed until now. They must have been tiny, resting so peacefully. A sleepy-headed girl sat up. She was so beautiful, it choked me. I felt something pass through me, something clicked. It felt right. There was nothing and no one else in the world at that moment. Only her. Only me. Us.

Her face was like the sunrise after a stormy night, like rain after a drought. Freckles were smattered about, each one placed with a purpose, by an artist with the most meticulous carefulness. Her eyes were like lighthouses, and I was a ship being guided toward her coast. The corners were sharp, like almonds, but the color was kind and green. Her nose was a cute button, wide, yet it brought her face together. It belonged there too. And her lips! The top was like a bow without an arrow, pointing up toward the rest of her beautiful face. The bottom, plump and soft, so kissable and precious. The entirety of her face had a feline quality to it. Her features were sharp and there was wisdom behind them, but if you gazed long enough there was a soft innocence, playful and adorable. She ran a hand through her long, dark brown hair. It was messy from the pillows, sleep mixed in with every strand.

I glanced at Hongbin. He seemed entranced as well. A rush of jealousy washed over me. Could he be feeling the same way as me? No. Impossible. Hongbin hated humans. He thought himself above them, they were just ants to him... but could this girl be different? I couldn't let him get near her. No matter what, I would protect her from him.

I returned my attention to the girl.

She was staring right at us. Right at me.

Without even thinking, without even knowing, a name escaped my lips, “Phoenix..”

Much to my surprise, Hongbin stated her name the same time I did. I glared at him, unable to figure out the context in his tone.

Just as I was about to reach out to her, He entered the room behind us, and the girl.. Phoenix... fell back onto the pillows, asleep once again.