A Message

The Strangers

Jung Taekwoon

 

 

 

366 years ago... 1649, Hanyang (Present-day Seoul), South Korea, Joseon Dynasty (5 years after the Encounter)

 

Lord Taekwoon, are you ready to leave for the inauguration? Prince Hyojong insists you be there. He won't start without you.”

I slowly glanced up from my position on the warm wood floor of my study and met my new head servant's nervous eyes. I weighed my response. I could be cruel, funny, sarcastic, nice, etc. Ever since my Encounter, it seemed like I was thinking twice about everything I did. The fate of the world rested on my shoulders, after all. Ultimately, I decided to respond with how I really felt.

Sighing I asked, “I have to leave my warm home, freeze on the way there, just to sit through some boring ceremony for my best friend who will be the king?” My servant nodded sheepishly, so I added, “If I must...”

I stood from the floor, already starting to feel cold and still grumbling about not wanting to go as I exited the study to change into my nicest hanbok. After I got my scars, I had every article of clothing I owned modified to ensure they were covered.  I even added extra high collars to my hanbok, even though it went against tradition. There were scars everywhere, even on the palms of my hands. Surprisingly, the only scar-free area was my face. In a way, though, it had changed too. My eyes had become darker and more sharp, my hair had grown long and black as the darkest ink, it fell in front of my perforative eyes, my cheeks were more gaunt and my jaw sharper. I was no longer the innocent, young lord everyone saw me as before. I had changed a lot that day.

Ten minutes later, I was still standing in front of my wardrobe, trying to figure out what to wear. Many of my favorite hanbok were nowhere near nice enough for the occasion, and all of my nice hanbok were stiff and uncomfortable from rarely being worn. Eventually I decided on a midnight blue durumagi with gold trim around the collar and a handsome, golden fish pattern covering the entire piece. When it came to my baji, I went with a bright red color just to add a bit of flare to my outfit and to match the rope belt tied just under my chest. Finally, I put on a pair of gold kkotsin, the only gat I owned, and then I was ready.

I turned to exit my bedroom and was surprised to see most of my female serving staff giggling in the hallway. Somewhere within the group, one of them said I looked very handsome, causing me to blush and put my head down as I walked past them. At least I look okay, I thought as I walked downstairs toward the back of my house where a driver was already waiting. My decent mood immediately clouded as a sense of dread washed over me. It was mostly because I didn't want to go, and partly because it was terribly cold outside, but there was another reason that I just could not place. I sighed loudly when I entered the carriage, then muttered, “Take me to Gyeongbokgung Palace and let's get this night over with already.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

I arrived precisely at 6:30 in the evening. The sun was setting in the dark blue and orange winter sky, making the palace look very ominous. There were a few stragglers milling about the palace's lawn and I didn't care to know who they were, so I just kept my head down and headed straight inside. Orange light was spilling out from within, and I could see the silhouettes of every important person in Hanyang. I slowed my steps. Dread was weighing down on me almost physically. I wanted to turn and run the other direction. Was this what He meant? Was this a challenge I would be faced with? Surviving social occasions? A surge of courage rushed through me and I continued walking inside to the palace walls.

I entered the bright red painted room and was intercepted by Prince (soon to be King) Hyojong. He was an old friend and while I was glad to see him, I could also tell something was wrong. Without a word he pulled me to a dark, private corner and started drilling me with questions.

“Why is that bastard Hongbin here? Did you invite him? What is he planning? Are you in on it? I can't have this night go wrong, Taekwoon, I can't. I'm going to be the king. Do you know how important this night is for me?”

The royal family of Korea had ties with the Dark. They were only in power due to some string-pulling and soul-selling. Oh, yes, He ensured Prince Hyojong's great-great-grandfather that their family would rule for a very long time. That is part of the reason I was here in Korea in the first place. I had been sent to assist the royal family and guide them in their political tidings. I was King Injo's best friend and he would not have accomplished what he had without my help. Prince Hyojong knew all about my issues with Hongbin, so he was very apprehensive about the demon. 

Back in the present, alarms were going off inside my head—why was Hongbin here? This explained that terrible feeling I had about tonight. I placed my hands on his shoulders and calmly said, “Slow down, Hyojong. This night will go smoothly, I assure you. No, I didn't invite Hongbin and I don't know if he is planning something or not, but I will find out. Where did you last see him?”

Prince Hyojong closed his eyes in thought for a moment, making me feel frustrated and impatient. This was an urgent matter and he was taking too long to remember. Finally, he said, “Well, the last time I remember seeing him was just before you got here. I think he went to one of the gazebos. He's probably waiting for you, Taekwoon.” Somebody called for Prince Hyojong then, and he started walking away. Before I was out of earshot, he yelled, “Be careful, Taekwoon! I want you to be back here for my crowning!”

I shook my head at Hyojong's retreating figure, then turned to head back outside to the cold. I hate being cold, I thought, still shaking my head. As I pushed past the throngs of people crowding the palace interior, I grew more and more somber. Hongbin was here, and I didn't know why. I didn't have the smallest clue as to why he was here. What did he want? I had been so much better than I was five years ago... I almost had to be. I was being watched by the two most powerful beings in this world; I couldn't mess up. If I angered the One Above, I would lose everything. Not only that, evil would reign on Earth. If I angered the One Below, I could become Lost. There was so much pressure on me. The Key was still hundreds of years away from being born, and it was even longer until she would be of age. What was I supposed to do until then?

I didn't have to wait long for my answers.

I exited the palace and walked back onto the lawn, I stood still for a moment and closed my eyes, trying to get a sense of where Hongbin might be. We were born of the same star, creating an invisible string between us, no matter how far away we were from each other. It was a curse, a useful curse, no doubt, but I still loathed its existence. I felt a quiver in the air, invisible to all but me. I could see him in my mind, leaning against the railing of a gazebo on the water. He smirked and I knew he felt the quiver too. He was dressed in an all black durumagi with matching baji and kkotsin, a feeble attempt at blending in with the partygoers. No one wore all black to functions like these.

As I walked closer to Hongbin, the tie between us tightened and hardened. Because there was such negative and wretched energy between us, the string was trying to break. I wished it would. I wanted no connections to this evil demon. I could feel heat and electricity cracking in the air around him. His mouth was pulled into a mischievous grin, straight teeth and dimples making it look almost attractive, but I knew the intent behind that smile. It was ugly and frightening. He was definitely up to something.

“I was wondering when we would see each other again,” Hongbin said smoothly. “I didn't expect to have to come looking for you. You've been avoiding me, Taekwoon, but you can't any longer. We've got very important business to attend to. Looks like you'll be stuck with me for awhile.”

I wanted to push him over the railing. Just hearing his voice sent me into a blind rage. Trying to keep my voice low so as not to draw attention, I hissed, “What the hell are you talking about?”

“Oh, I'll get to that in a little while,” he said patting his where something must have been hidden. He was taunting me. “I want to know why you've been avoiding me. I know you've been meeting with Him, so why haven't you taken time to meet with your Star Brother?”

I rolled my head on my shoulders. I was so angry. I wanted to throttle him. Before speaking, I took a few calming breaths and closed my eyes so I didn't have to see his disgusting face. If I didn't stop now, if I didn't control my anger toward Hongbin, something horrible would happen. Finally, my eyes flashed open and I said icily, “Just tell me why you're here, Hongbin, or I will Transform and you will regret coming here.”

Transforming is a disease that plagues us demons. Some completely abuse the power, but those are few and far between. Humans cannot fathom how truly bad those few are. No, Transforming is frowned upon even amongst demons. It begins with anger. If you can't control your anger, there is a threshold and if you cross it, you will Transform, even if you don't want to. Scales will begin engrossing your arms, legs, and face. Feathers sprout on your back and head. Grotesque talons replace your hands and fingers. Your teeth turn sharp and jagged, and your eyes completely black. Wings with black feathers that drip blood sprout from your back in blasts of excruciating pain and your feet turn into those of birds. There is no set amount of time this will last. It could be minutes, hours, days, or even forever. 

Hongbin grabbed my collar, pulling me toward him, and laughed in my face. His was just inches from mine. I could feel heat rolling off him and his breath smelled like corpses. His eyes were crazed. “Go ahead and Transform, Taekwoon. I'm sure you'll make a terrifying bunny.” He threw me away from him in disgust and turned away from me, running a hand through his hair. “You really are pathetic. I don't know what He was thinking when He created us together.”

I smoothed my durumagi and shook my head, saying in a disappointed tone, “No, Hongbin, you're the pathetic one. You could have turned out so much different.”

He whipped around and grabbed my arm with incredible force. He probably could have broken it if he wanted to. I was inches from him again. He truly disgusted me. “Different!? You mean different like you? You're delusional. If I were like you,” he paused, laughing, and then continued with, “I would be a weakling. I would be nothing.”

Hongbin was still holding onto my arm, so with my right, free arm, I placed my hand on his chest and exhaled, sending a small wave of electricity into him with my breath. He stumbled back in surprise. “Is that nothing, Hongbin? Go ahead, then, show me what you can do.”

His face was incredulous. The powers demons normally had were very limited. Basically, we could disappear from and appear anywhere, manipulate anyone weaker than us into doing exactly what we want, we were stronger than 100 grown men put together, and, of course, we can take possession of humans. I knew that he had no idea I had these extra powers, and I'd intended to keep it that way, but I just couldn't avoid it any longer. Ever since we Fell, I'd had powers that, as far as I knew, no other demon could master.. Only angels could. I could control the wind and the static electricity in the air. With a flick of my wrist, I could cause a tsunami or start a fire. With even the tiniest amount of concentration, I could lift, move, throw, bend, or break anything I wished to, all with my mind. And while I had all these powers, I rarely used them because I felt wrong for even having them in the first place. I was very far from an angel, so how I could I dare to use these angelic powers?

“H-how did you... How can this be?” Hongbin shouted at me. He was still reeling from being shocked and I felt almost bad for hurting him. Almost. Before I could answer he added matter-of-factly, “You still don't know which side you're on, do you? Figures..”

I opened my mouth to speak, but he cut me off again. “You're beginning to irritate me, so I'm just going to get to the point. I was forced to come here tonight in order to deliver a very important message to you.”

I rolled my eyes. “You're lying. He would have just came Himself if it were that important.” I knew how Hongbin worked.

“No, no,” Hongbin said calmly, “He thought you wouldn't have responded well after what happened last time he dropped in on you.” Hongbin reached into his durumagi then, the same place he patted a few moments ago, and produced a small scroll, tied with thin, black string.

I looked at it skeptically before taking and reading the text written in Latin.

Two nights from now, when the moon is new, I would like to meet with you and your Brother. Come back to the place where you have read this message, after sundown. I will be waiting.

When I looked back up to ask Hongbin if he had any idea what this meeting was about, he was gone. I guess I'll find out two nights from now, I thought, cryptically. I stood gazing at the moonlit water for a moment before realization struck me. It was almost time for Prince Hyojong's crowning! I picked up the bottom of my durumagi so as not to trip and began sprinting back to the palace. Everyone was already seated in wait for the ceremony and I must have caused some commotion because all eyes turned to me and I bowed in every direction in excuse.

I sidled along the back wall to a corner, which had a perfect view of the throne. I was hoping that it wouldn't take too long because I was tired and cold and talking to Hongbin was just utterly draining. Just as I thought this, Prince Hyojong exited from some hidden room and everyone stood and bowed to their future king. Somehow, Hyojong's eyes immediately found me in my dark corner and he nodded ever-so-slightly in acknowledgment and appreciation. As I was watching the ceremony unfold with pride, the sound in the room fell away, not in a scary, abrupt way, but in a realaxing, dream-like way. I could still see. I could see Hyojong bowing to the room of noblemen and women, I could see him delivering a speech which would be remembered for many years to come, but I couldn't hear it. I was okay with it though because I heard a mother singing a lullaby to her baby. I heard a father cooing to his daughter. I heard a child laughing and smiling with happiness.

It's her, I thought, smiling to myself. Don't worry, Phoenix, I will protect you.