Hope

The Strangers

Jung Taekwoon

 

 

 

My eyes fluttered. I caught glimpses of a torch hanging on the wall opposite me. They fluttered again. Puddles and a leaky ceiling. Finally, I gathered enough strength to keep my eyes open. My entire body ached. My hair was caked in blood and dirt. I was lying in one of the many puddles filling the room. All around me were dirt walls which stunk of death. A wave of fear shot through me as I remembered the events that had transpired earlier. I scrambled into a sitting position, causing unimaginable pain to reverberate throughout my entire body. From my head to my toes all I felt was sharp, unbearable pain. I leaned to the left and vomited because I hurt so badly. My body was covered in a sack-like robe, but it didn't leave much to the imagination. I could see gashes all over my legs, black blood mixing with dirt and mud. My torso had a deep gash running from my left collarbone, all the way down to my right hip. I brought a shaking hand up to my neck. I didn't even need to look to know there were burn marks in the shape of His talons there. My hands were covered in cuts and burns as well and even some of my fingernails were missing. In addition to my worse-for-wear state, I hadn't the slightest clue where I was or how I had gotten here, although I was certain I knew who had brought me here.

Somewhere nearby I heard a door slam shut and then footsteps rapidly approaching me. I quickly scanned the room for somewhere to hide, but there was no such place. I was surrounded by four walls, one of which was broken by the end of a staircase, and there were no windows. If I were in a stronger state, I could vanish into the air, but since He was near, and I was so badly damaged, I could not. I was trapped. As the footsteps grew nearer and nearer, I braced myself, expecting the worst. However, much to my surprise, a small woman dressed in white nun's clothing entered the room. She looked around frantically, not noticing me at first.

“Lord Taekwoon?” a familiar raspy voice asked. “Lord Taekwoon, where are you?”

All the noise I could muster was a pathetic whimper, which I could barely hear myself, but the strange nun was next to me in a flash. Upon seeing her face, I felt dumbstruck. It was my servant, Min Young. I tried to speak, but she stopped me by placing a hand on my chest. She closed her eyes, making herself look very serene. Then, she began chanting in Latin and shortly after, a light formed underneath where her hand was still on my chest. She pressed down and the light entered me, causing my entire body to glow with warmth and... healing. Min Young was healing me! The sense of joy that rushed over me was so great it made me laugh. I looked at my old servant's face in awe.

“You're an angel,” I said with realization washing over me.

Min Young ignored my statement and said, “There will be scars, but I have taken the worst of the pain away. We have to leave. Now. Take my hand!”

And so I took the angel's hand and we disappeared from the small dirt room and gracefully landed in a large, pristine chapel. I staggered back from Min Young and said, “I.. I don't think I should be here, Min Young. I'm sure you know what could happen..” I trailed off, knowing that she knew exactly what could happen. She was no fool.

Whenever demons enter any holy place—which is, under normal circumstances, physically impossible—it will subsequently burn to the ground. I had never been responsible for these happenings, but many times before Hongbin would enter the most beautiful, and not to mention old churches, and he would laugh as they crashed in flame around him. He was truly a vile being.

Min Young smiled calmly and took my hand again, saying, “It's okay because I want you here. You are my guest now, so there will be no fires today.” Then, without another word, she led me to the front of the church, to the altar to be more specific, and told me to kneel. I hesitated, feeling very uncomfortable and wrong. I was a demon, I had no place here. It was heresy that I was even inside this place. But she reassured me and I did as I was told. Min Young placed her hands on either of my shoulders and began chanting in Latin again. It was a different chant this time, a much more powerful chant and one that I was familiar with. I had used this one many times before in pathetic and futile attempts at speaking to the Light even for just a second. I wanted to grovel at His feet and beg for forgiveness, but I had already totally ruined everything forever, so He would not hear me out. However, now, as I knelt at this altar with Min Young's encouraging hands on my shoulders, I felt hopeful. A smile began creeping across my face and my body began feeling warm. A wonderful, golden glow filled the room and embraced me like a mother embracing her newborn child. Tears sprang to my eyes as I grasped what was happening.

He was coming to greet me!

Jubilant laughter filled the room. At first I didn't know where it was coming from, but then I began laughing even more when I realized it was coming from me. I hadn't even noticed that I was no longer kneeling at the altar, until I looked down and saw Min Young smiling up at me. I was suspended in His golden Light. His Glorious, warm, Light. It was breathtaking. Although no one was physically there, I could feel strong arms around me, nurturing me and erasing all of the pain and anguish I had suffered through for so many long years.

Finally, finally a voice rang through the chapel and straight through me. It resonated within and surrounded me with wonderful sound. Tears mixed with my laughter. I was in utter disbelief. Never would I have guessed, even in my wildest dreams, that a moment like this would ever come. I was overcome with joy. His voice caressed and soothed me. He was telling me everything at the same time. Saying all of the words that I had so longed to hear.

“Taekwoon, I have still not abandoned you...”

“Taekwoon, My child, I will always love you....”

These words would stick with me for the rest of my life. No matter what, I would always have these shards of hope.

“Taekwoon, Child, listen to Me. I have something very urgent to tell you. Before I even created you, this was your destiny. You have been chosen to complete this task of the absolute highest importance. The fate of the entire world rests on your shoulders. The next few hundred years will be very confusing and very hard for you, and you alone. But you must not give up. I am always with you. Even if I am quiet, I am there. Do not forget this. Great challenges will come your way, and I cannot tell you what to decide when you are faced with them. You will do good things, and you will also do terrible things. This is your way. Good and Evil are fighting within you even as we speak. You are a very unique being. The Morning Star has a plot underway in which you are the centerpiece. You and your Star Brother, Hongbin, are His biggest pawns, His most powerful playing cards. You must remain loyal to them both, yet also loyal to Me. They must never know of your Encounter with Me, Child. You will meet many people during these trying times. The strangest of strangers could be your most powerful ally, and the nicest of friends could betray you. You must figure out who to trust on your own, Taekwoon. Now, remember what I am about to say. These are the most important words I will ever Speak: 'In the year 1997, 357 years from now, a wondrous child will be born. Her life will not be in danger until she turns 18, however when this happens, she will be in grave danger. She is the ultimate deciding factor in this grand Play. You must protect her at all costs or Darkness and Evil will reign over Earth, and all shall suffer. You must protect the Key, Phoenix Ann Montgomery.'”