International Bets

Bubblegum Heart

"Age is just a number. You should stop stressing yourself out"  My long black haired friend simply stated looking at the different clock assortments on display.

"It's not the age that stresses me out, it's the responsibility that comes with it. What if she's expecting more from me?" I panic putting down the fuzzy alarm clock in my hands

"Can I offer some insight?" Yuna speaks up stepping in front of Chanmi and I placing her hands on my shoulder to stop my frantic rambling. I nod my head silently giving her the go ahead to speak.

"I think you're worrying too much about the what if's and the possibility of things happening." She removes her hand from my shoulder and places a black and silver clock in my hands sending me a warm smile.

"You're young and I'm sure she's taken this in consideration, so stop worrying so much and try to enjoy yourself." 

Taking a deep breath I nod placing the item in my hand now in the cart. "I'm just going to try to live in the moment."

"That's the spirit!" Chanmi yells attracting the attention of nearby shoppers causing Yuna and I to send apologetic smiles to them. Chanmi shifts her weight onto the cart and sends a knowing grin towards me.

"This means you like her right?" She leans in to me "You're going to call her right, go out on another date, I don't know maybe marry her?"

I roll my eyes at her outrageous suggestion"How about just starting off wth a call and can we please just finish decorating my dorm now" I say picking up a cactus plant as Yuna hums in agreement. 

"No need to get shy now Jae, just admit you were in denial about my matchmaking skills" Chanmi says strutting past us with a hair flip and grabbing some random painting.

"Remind me why I'm friends with her again?" I ask turning to Yuna 

"Because you'll be bored without her" She responds shrugging.

 

 

I stand up again from the couch to pace around for more times than I can count. I stare at my phone anxiously waiting the arrival of my new roommate while simultaneously trying to build up the courage to call Sojin. Hovering my thumb over the call button I tap it quickly hearing the ringing sound so I wouldn't have the time to talk myself out of it. 

"Hello?"

"Hi Sojin, it's me JaeHwan" I answer trying to steady my voice so my nerves wouldn't show 

"JaeHwan! it's so nice to hear from you so soon" My shoulders relax as I realize she was expecting my call.

"Well, I was thinking since we had such a great time last night I shouldn't really keep you waiting" a smile graces my face as I hear a chuckle from the receiving end of my phone.

"How considerate of you" There was a slight pause in Sojin's voice before she continued "If I'm being honest I wasn't expecting to hear from you so soon, you've definitely surprised me"

"Hopefully a good surprise" I answer feeling my nerves return did I call too early maybe she thinks I'm weird now

"Of course, of course I'm happy that you decided to call" She quickly interjects calming me once again.

"So" I drag out trying to find out how I want to ask my question. "Are you free any time this week" I rush out in one breath.

"I'll have to check my calendar first but I think I'm free Wednesday if that works for you?" 

"Wednesday sounds great!" I reply trying to keep my excitement to a minimum.

"Perfect! so did you have anything in mind?"

"Not yet actually but I'll have something planned before-" I was cut off by a knock on the door and instantly felt a wave of anxiety hit me as I realized it was more than likely my new roommate.

"Hey Sojin, I have to go so I'll talk to you later?" I say quickly making my way to the door fixing my hair trying to make myself feel more comfortable. 

"Definitely, It was nice hearing from you JaeHwan." I exchange goodbyes with her before finally opening the door revealing my new roommate.

In front of me stood a girl of average height with long blue hair and a guitar strapped to her back. She clearly wasn't of Korean descent and based on her jean jacket, faded out jeans, and black boots she was probably from the western side of the world.

"Hi" her voice was higher pitched than I expected. "Are you.." she trailed off looking down at her paper I'm guessing she got from the housing office. "JaeHwan Lee,  I mean Lee Jaehwan." 

I laugh at her small mistake and hold out my hand to greet her "That's me, the office never actually gave me your name."

She takes my hand shaking it before replying "Halsey" I tilt my head slightly raising an eyebrow not believing that to be her real name. 

"What?" She questions dipping her head down. "That's really my name, seriously" I nod my head humming to her defence while stepping aside to let her in. 

"Alright fine you caught me" She says reaching down to grab her duffel bag as I take her two suitcases "Halsey is just a name I go by."  She admits taking a seat on one of her suitcases.

"I'm shocked" I say with slight sarcasm sitting down on the arm of the couch. "So for information reasons what's your real name?"

"It's Ashley Frangipane and I don't know how this slipped my mind but we've been talking in English this whole time"

"Yeah we have" I agree waiting for her to continue with her point

"So did you learn it here or are you from somewhere else?" She questions

"I was born in the States" I answer her

"Me too!" She responds "Where were you born?"

"Chicago, how about you?"

"New Jersey" She responds

"A jersey girl huh?, let me guess you spent a lot of time in New York?" I ask folding my arms across my chest smiling

"Is it that obvious" She sheepishly replies with a grin

"Just a bit" I emphasize with my fingers while laughing "So how did someone like you end up in Korea?" I ask curiously wondering how someone like her ended up here.

"Well.."She starts off placing her guitar bag upright on the floor leaning her chin against it "I'm an artist and I make indie alternative kind of dark pop and I have an artist friend who makes folksy soft rock music at some point we were releasing songs at the same time and we made a bet that if they didn't compare us she would change her name to Halsey's #1 fan and would write songs based on the topics I chose but if they did compare us I would move here and try to be a Kpop star" She finishes with a chuckle. "A bet is a bet so here I am."

"Wow.." I start off speechless "That is some bet, remind me to never make a bet with you" I say standing up pointing a finger at her. 

"I probably won't remind you" She admits honestly with a laugh.

"Hey" I look around at her belongings "Do you want to get out of here and take care of this later? " I motion to her bags.

"I would love too" She stands up stretching "Ugh I'm starving"

I started walking towards the door telling Halsey to follow me as I placed my hand on the door I decided to ask a question "How good are your Korean skills"

"Basically nonexistent" She says shaking her head.

I pause thinking on how I'm going to introduce her to Chanmi and Yuna without making it awkward. "You know what" I open the door waving my hand" Don't even worry about it , we'll make it work"

 

 

 

 

 

 


I want to apologize for really lacking on updating all my stories but I want to thank those for still supporting this story through all this time. I do plan on updating this story but I don't have a schedule yet for how often. I was thinking once every week or ten days. 

Once again I really want to thank those for sticking with this story.