Blind Dates

Bubblegum Heart


I could no longer ignore the sun's bright rays beaming into my face. So I accepted my defeat and opened my eyes to be greeted by a smiling Chanmi too close for comfort in front of me. Most people would think a good day would start by being welcomed by a smile. This was the complete opposite I didn't feel welcomed at all especially since I was sure I locked my door. Same 

"Good morning sleepyhead" That devious smile was still evident on her face.

"It's not a good morning when you break into my dorm at…" I reached over lazily barely grasping my phone to check the time. I groaned in displeasure after seeing it "8:52 am" I let my head fall back onto my pillow hoping that if I stayed like this long enough she would leave.

"I didn't break in you left your door open which I was kind enough to close, besides your date is tonight and I still need to prepare you, now get up" She slapped me on the arm harder than needed."Time is of the essence"

"The essence to sleep" I grumbled. Chanmi snatched my pillow from underneath me causing my head to hit the bed with a sounding thud. "Can you stop abusing me? I'll get up, Look I surrender" Both my hands were up in the air to prove I was telling the truth."I don't understand what you have to prepare me about. I have decent clothes and you already said you weren't letting me see anything about the girl.The only thing I need is a haircut maybe" I said running a hand through my hair that was going against everything I wanted it do. 

"And some new clothes, It's amazing what a new outfit can do for a person. I'm going to glam you up, well not exactly glam but I'm going to make you look and feel great!" She exclaimed knocking into my shoulder with force, once again abusing me. 

"You're pampering me up and you won't tell me anything about this person I'm going to be meeting up with, Are you trying to sell me?" I question using the back of my feet to put some distance between me and her. 

"What? No! I can't risk going to jail for you"

"Am I not worthy enough of going to jail for?" I'm always on the teasing end of Chanmi's banter so I wasn't going to miss a moment to give her a taste of her own medicine

"I don't know what you want me to say!" She yells holding her head in frustration before looking at me and noticing the laugh I was failing to keep to keep in. 

"You're so evil" She huffs out a breath of annoyance hitting my shoulder. There has to be a bruise there by now .

I rub my shoulder "At this rate I won't be making my date, I'll be at the hospital instead"

"Stop being so sensitive and get dressed we're on a tight schedule" I waved her off as she left saying she'll meet me by the corridors. I dragged myself out of bed deciding on just jeans and a T-shirt. I wasn't trying to look exceptional just presentable. After deciding on leaving my hair the way it was I made my way to the corridors making sure to lock my door this time. My eyes scanned the area for my friend but instead my eyes landed on the meathead DongHyun who I'm still not sure about him having a target on my back. I bent my head down finally spotting Chanmi by the door I grabbed her hand and quickly pulled her out the building walking a safe distance from the place despite her protest.

"Are you trying to kidnap me? I have a busy day" She snatched her arm away from me mumbling words

"Chanmi-"

"People are so inconsiderate trying to ruin my plans"

"Chanm-"

"My friend needs me, If I don't make sure her date successful it's a 99% chance she's going to die alone so if-"

"Chanmi!" 

"Oh, I didn't know it was you" She chuckles smoothing out her blouse as if she said nothing wrong.

"Let's just get this whole glam process over" I say putting quotations mark around the word glam.

 

 

2 hours later with three new outfits and a haircut mostly just a t in the back and sides. I was now standing in my dorm room standing in front of the mirror in the outfit Chanmi and Yuna insisted I wear.

"It's like we're sending our child off to school" Chanmi sniffed dramatically holding her hand to her heart. Yuna came up to me fixing a tucked in part of my collar on my blazer bomber jacket.

"Don't listen to her JaeHwan, I don't think your as hopeless as she's making you seem" She smiled patting the spot she fixed.

"Thanks Yuna, at least someone around here sill has some decency to them." I not so subtly aim at Chanmi who pretends she can't hear me. "Anyways you still didn't tell me how I'm suppose to find my date Chan"

"Just tell the host your name and they'll take you to her. Problem solved" She shrugged 

 

 

I'm finally approaching the doors of the restaurant and I silently thank my friends for picking my outfit for me because I would've definitely underdressed. I take a deep breath and wipe the palm of my hand on my pants before pushing the door open. I greet the host telling him my name as he escorts me through the different tables and booths decorating the restaurant. He starts to slow down and I feel my nerves speed up as he stops in front of small petite woman with round eyes. I sit down can't help myself from admiring her beauty. She holds out her hand with a smile and I take it delicately scared I might break her. 

"Hi, I'm Park Sojin" I shake her hand before returning the smile.

"I'm Lee JaeHwan and it's a pleasure to meet you" I had some doubt about Chanmi's abilities but they have been completely vanished within seconds.

"The pictures Chanmi showed me really didn't do you justice, you're quite handsome" She states taking a sip of her wine. 

"She didn't show me any pictures of you but I have to say you were worth the surprise" Who is this person talking? There's no way I said that without become a stuttering mess. It has to be these clothes, that's the only logical reason. 

She quirks an eyebrow in response to my words a small curve upward playing on her lips"Handsome and a charmer. You're just the full package aren't you?'

I can only smile as the waiter comes over to take our orders. Not wanting Sojin to feel left out I ordered a red wine so she won't be the only one drinking.

"So I've been told you're in college, what are you studying?" She brings a hand up to toss some of her hair over her shoulder.

"I'm studying Human Biology and then taking the nutritionist path afterwards"

Another bright smile graces her face as she sighs" I remember my college days. I wish I could relive them" She has a look on her face as if she's recalling specific moments. The fact that she already graduated doesn't bother me it was probably only a year or two ago.

"I haven't reached my wild college days yet, maybe I won't" I shrug as the waiter brings our food over.

"Maybe you haven't met the right person yet to spark your wild side" She twirls a piece of pasta around her fork before eating it a faint smirk on her lips the whole time.

"Maybe so, So when did you graduate from college?" I ask taking a sip of my wine.

"I got my masters five years ago" She answers and I nearly choke on my drink. Five years ago? Unless she's some type of genius that has to mean she's at least around 28. Before I could even ask my next question she solves my curiosity.

"I'm 29"

"You don't look a day over 23" I respond.

"Still being a charmer I see"

 

One more glass of wine later and topic ranging from the best way to enjoy ice cream to the cutest dog breed Sojin and I were bringing our date to an end. I walk with her outside of the restaurant and I her to her car to make sure she's safe. We've already exchanged numbers and now we're just standing outside her black luxury car door. She fiddles with her keys before talking "I really enjoyed tonight and I'm not saying you have to call me by tomorrow but I would like to get in touch with you soon." I think this is the first time I've seen her nervous as she slightly tugs her bottom lip between her teeth. 

"I enjoyed tonight too and would like to take you out soon" A look of relief flashes over her face and I smile as she nods her head. She leans in to kiss my cheek and I feel heat rushing to my cheeks.

"Hope to hear from you soon" I nod not trusting my voice. She drives off and I'm left with the thoughts that I kept at bay.

She's nearing 30 soon. What if she wants a family? I can't afford to balance a family right now. What if she expects all these things from because she's use to mature relationships and I can't do it because I'm some dumb college student who watches funny videos of animals in my free time? Why is everything becoming so difficult?


Is this real? An actual update on this story?

I'm going to really try to do consistent updates on this story because I really like it