Time

Bubblegum Heart

I looked down at my watch as it read 5:50 comfortably early I thought. I was more at ease with me greeting Hyejeong than her greeting me. I chose a seat secluded enough where we can focus but not isolated to the point we felt cutoff. 

Should I unpack? I'll seem to eager if I do that. If  I sit here doing nothing I'll seem disinterested. After a long internal battle I felt content with just taking out our notes pertaining to watersheds and the different examples we were given. I was rearranging my papers for the hundredth when the sound of a chair being moved caught my attention. 

"Have you started without me?" A light smile was visible on her face but her eyes remained strong in contrast to her voice. I instantly stood from my seat bowing to greet her and denied her accusations.

"I was just looking for inspiration , you know professor Cho loves for things to speak to him" I let out an array of sounds similar to a laugh. 

"I'll have to agree with that" Hyejeong joined in with my odd laughter taking her seat. "I'm sorry for making you wait, some people just don't know how to accept goodbye." My watch read 6:05 I waved off her apology telling her it wasn't a big deal. Irritation was evident on her face from her last statement. Why was I studying her face so much anyways? She was interesting I'll admit but I doubt we would talk after this project ended.

"Should we begin now?" She asked I replied with a nod taking out the rest of my materials from earlier. "I'm not good with starting things but if you gave me some ideas I can go from there" She confessed.

"Since it needs to be affordable and efficient I was thinking we should base it on material that can be flexible and easy to use" I started slowly spinning my pen around my fingers.

"Like plastic?" She joined in jotting down things in her notebook. 

"Plastic can be the main material and we can cover it in a rubber like material to prevent cracks and damage" Hyejeong continued to add her adjustments to my ideas and within an hour we had three different types of models drawn. 

"For the efficient part taking the water wheel route would be smart with maybe a net type at the bottom to catch the debris" Before she could respond her phone started to vibrate again. I noticed awhile ago it was her current boyfriend DongHyun. She looked the message before placing her phone down. 

We continued on again like before with the occasional message from her boyfriend but this time it started to ring, He was calling. I leaned back in my chair and gave her a reassuring nod that said she can take the call. 

"He can wait" She voiced out after turning her phone on silent. 

"You really don't have to do that" I frantically spoke not wanting to be the cause of a argument. 

"Remember when I said some people don't know how to accept goodbye? It's him." Finally understanding the meaning of her words a long "Oh" sounded form my mouth not knowing how to take the information. 

"I don't know about you but I am exhausted from this work" She began to put away her materials and I followed suit.

"We made good progress so far, so we might finish early" I stated looking up once I finished packing 

"Maybe, but now that we have all this educational stuff done I want to know more about you" She proclaimed leaning her face on her hands.

"Well what do you want to know?" I asked not sure where she was going with this.

"The basics will do for now" Hyejeong smiled like a giddy schoolgirl. Tilting my head to think what would apply to the basics It made me feel like I was filling out a profile which led me to think of my upcoming date and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. My trance was broken once a hand was waved in front of my face.

"Are you really that out of touch with yourself that you can't come up with a basic summary about yourself?" Hyejeong laughed at me again for another time today.

"Maybe I'm just that interesting it's hard to sum me up" I playfully responded looking at her. 

"We'll see about that" She twirled her straw around her fingers a small glint in her eyes. 

"I'm from the states Chicago to be exact, I'm 19, my major is human biology and I'm studying to be a nutritionist but I originally planned to study music. Is that interesting enough?" I teasingly ask not sure how I became so bold with her.

"It left me with questions so yes" She pushed herself up from the table only to lean forward "I'm not sure where Chicago is" I couldn't help but falter and smile at how she prepared to ask that as her first question. 

"People around here seem to only know California and New York, It's close to neither of them so I'll just have to show you on a map."

"Maybe next time, Geography was never my best subject. I have another question" Her eyes never left mine and I was still curious as to what was causing the glint in them.

"Ask away" I reply starting some kind of staring battle by copying  her actions.

"How do you go from music to human biology? It seems like a huge leap. 

"It was" I agree with her thinking back to my high school days where I would spend hours composing music,writing lyrics , and how you almost never saw me without headphones  in my ears. "I guess I just lost my driving passion to pursue it I still enjoy it as a hobby." I end my explanation with a shrug to show it wasn't a big deal. 

"You should play for me sometime" She gave me a quick wink gently placing her fingers on her cheek the glint in her eyes alluring me.

"I don't just play for anyone, it has to be special"  I joke still meaning my words

"I'll just have to prove I'm worthy" 

"I guess so" I reply not being able to control my smile. "Enough about me. I want to know your basic summary now" 

"Mine isn't going to be as direct as yours" She teased flicking my nose.

"Mine was direct?" I ask a small  chuckle  escaping my lips.

"You're not the only one who can be mysterious " 

"Mysterious? " I raise my eyebrow"That's a first for me"

"Well I see things you don't see" She quipped 

"Is that so" I retort.

"Yes, like you haven't noticed that I'm running late to the next place I have to be" Hyejeong stood up patting her hand on mine as a way to say sorry.

"I guess I'll let you go now" I smile standing up handing her purse to her while grabbing my bag.

"See you soon mysterious one"

I laughed before responding "I'll see you around sixth sense" She laughed at the name before saying her farewell again. 

 

 

After leaving the cafe I was making a stop to the head dorm office since I was told earlier they had information for me.

"Hey!" A loud male voice called out. I looked around and noticed  that I was the only other person in the hallway. I turned around to see who it was but he was already close to me. It was DongHyun.

"Can I help you?" I ask stepping back so he wouldn't tower over me.

"What were you doing with my girlfriend today?" He asked his voice low but still booming.

"Hyejeong?" I questioned

"Don't play dumb, She said she had to be somewhere better and there's nothing special about you!"He spat taking a step back up to me.He kept trying to look down on me but he only had a good inch or two over me so it didn't work.

 "If working on a watershed project is more entertaining than you, you might have some work to do" I said looking right back at him not flinching one bit 

"Make all the jokes you want but know your nothing to me" He declared a smug smirk appearing on his face.

"If you know all this why confront me? I hate to take someone else's words but I have somewhere better to be" I pushed passed him bumping into his shoulder as he stood tall. I didn't turn to look back at him. I've never been involved in drama and I want to keep it that. 

I finally made my way to the office only for it be closed. Due to that unnecessary altercation with that self-centered DongHyun I probably just missed them. Hauling my weight to my room I opened the door and spotted an white letter that looked like it was slid under my door. The school's logo was stamped on the front of it. I grabbed the envelope from the floor taking the paper out from it.

Dear Student,

      This letter is to inform you that another student will be joining you as an roommate on Monday. We hope that you will make the student feel warm, welcomed, and show them the Sungkyunkwan University way.

The letter ended with the dean's printed signature. Air escaped from my lips as my eyes traveled around my room. There was a small living room that was accompanied by a small kitchen. Two doors that each held a bedroom and a third door that contained a simple bathroom. I should at least do some decorations around here so I won't seem too plain. I'll do that on Sunday I decided.

24 hours was starting to feel shorter everyday.



And there goes another chapter. I'm glad that you all are enjoying the story so far I hope to keep it that way.

Are you curious about who the date is? There's a roommate too now I'll let you know now that it isn't someone in kpop or Korean related at all.

There will be another update before the week ends. 

Thanks for reading.