Bubble Pop

Bubblegum Heart

It was nearing the end of your first semester at Sungkyunkwan University it's not exactly how you imagined it but you've managed to make a few friends, keep your grades up, and you've been able to handle yourself in an acceptable manner.

Finals were just around the corner and like every other student who cared about their future you were stressed more than you should be, but there was one student you couldn't help but admire even at a time like this.

Her name was Shin Hyejeong, the only daughter coming from a relatively wealthy family. The popular cheerleader from high school that transitioned into the flawless y girl that she is today. You weren't her stalker or anything along those lines , you just went by what you heard from other people and with no doubt you agreed with them. I guess you could say you took a liking to the tall girl along with her addiction to the bubblegum that you never saw separated from . 

After daydreaming about the auburn hair girl longer than you expected the simultaneous pull a chair and loud pop brought you back to reality and you couldn't resist the urge to sneak a glance at her more than once. 

"I'm pretty sure it's rude in every culture to blatantly stare at someone" I focused my eyes upward to see one of the first friends I made here smiling down at me. 

" I wasn't staring, I was looking at the board to see what our topic was for today." The lie was evident in my voice but I was more then capable of keeping a straight face. Chanmi turned her head in the direction of the board her long hair hitting me in the process. After reading the board in a mere second her attention was focused back on me. "So you're telling me it took you almost a minute to read the words important announcement today?" 

"Yes, my Korean still isn't up to par with a natives" I joked taking out my notebook as the professor made his way into the class."Eh, you're just a tall foreign idiot"

During the lecture I could only drown out the draining voice of the professor who made his speeches longer then necessary taking down only what I deemed important from his word my ears suddenly perked up when I heard the sentence partner project. I decided to actually look at the professor after the so called important announcement. "You'll be partnered with a fellow classmate and the project will be due the first day after break, now for the actual project I want you to create an efficient and affordable watershed that can produce clean water. Who you'll be partnered with will be posted at the end of class" 

I was anxious to see who I was partnered with I hoped for Chanmi since I talked to her the most in this class and with the project coursing over the time of break I know I'll have to meet up with the person and awkward was an understatement for how I am around new people.

As soon as the bell rung I made my way to the board with our names. Quickly scanning the names I saw Chanmi's next to Seolhyun I've seen her around Hyejeong quite often. After seeing that Chanmi was taken I could only hope to be paired with someone I held a conversation with a few times. After I finally found my name I moved my finger across I nearly lost my balance seeing the name next to mine. Hyejeong.

I heard a small pop and light scent of bubblegum near me "Looks like we're partners I hope we can do this project together well." Before I could respond she was already leaving out the class. An arm swiftly wrapped around mine "Seems like luck was on your side today instead of staring you'll actually be forced to talk to her" a light laugh was heard afterwards. "Real funny Chanmi, you should be a comedian" I responded leaving out the class with her. "I have been thinking about that recently I'm told I'm a natural" She ended her words with a pose of her chin positioned between her thumb and index finger. I could only laugh before unhooking my arm with hers and going our separate ways. 

I made my way to one of my more enjoyable classes, music. I was a pianist and it was of the few things I was very passionate about. I've been taking lessons as long as I have been able to control my fingers. I took my seat as I waited for my piano colleague Yuna to join me. While waiting the sudden realization of Hyejeong and me talking scared me. Hyejeong was a fairly nice girl she just radiated confidence easily intimidating people who lacked the characteristic like me. She was rarely seen with people outside of school in a way people knew everything about her but no one knew the basic and important details. 

"What has you all spaced out friend?" A soft voice greeted me. I hadn't noticed that Yuna had already occupied the seat next to me. "How long have you been sitting there?" I asked taking in my surroundings noticing the presence of other people . Yuna looked down at her red and black watch"Hm, exactly two minuets and you still haven't answered my question". "It's nothing really just mindless thinking" I said ending my words with a smile. "Okay, I'll let this go for now but I'll expect you to talk more later on today". I tilted my head as I tried to remember my schedule, Yuna cut off my thoughts again"We're suppose to study at the new cat cafe Chanmi wanted to visit". I clapped my hands as I finally remembered."That's right, we're studying English" I said pulling out my music sheets."Correct and I'm really depending on you" She softly responded standing up. "You can count on me" I added a small salute before a state of confusion overtook my face"Wait where are you going?" She knocked my head with her fist"You really are a airhead today, we're switching partners today the teacher doesn't want us to become to comfortable with each other and wants us to focus on the music"

My eyes scattered around the room as I searched for my new companion only to stop when the quite tall girl with long black hair greeted me. "Hello, I'm Seolhyun I hope we can make great music together" she bowed. Still in awe of her beauty I returned her bow" I'm  Jaehwan and I also wish for us to work well together". She took the seat next me pulling out the same sheets as me. "I apologize if I mess up beforehand this is my first time doing a duet." I could here the slight shyness and couldn't but smile and try to ease the girls nervousness. "Don't worry I haven't did enough to be deemed an expert". Noting that the girl next to me wouldn't talk much I decided to gather my courage and make Seolhyun feel more comfortable. "We seem to have a few classes but I think this is the first time we've actually talked" I laughed adjusting the music sheets. She nodded her head in agreement "I tend to be with my close friend Hyejeong Unnie and you..well you're usually spacing out the window. Seolhyun giggled as I felt a sudden urge of heat traveling to my cheeks. "I prefer being outside and having a hands on teaching, classrooms easily bore me" My voice faltering at the end still slightly embarrassed that someone noticed my daydreaming antics."Hyejeong unnie is the same way except for the being outside part she just really hates classroom" Noticing that classroom was starting to dim down in voices and music notes were becoming louder I started the lead on the duet taking the harder part for Seolhyun.

Class was coming to an successful end being able to play the duet and become closer to Seolhyun at the same time was a success in my book. Grabbing my backpack and stretching in the midst while tossing the strap over my shoulder I remembered about the project I was assigned.. Having an idea I quickly shuffled my feet to catch up with Seolhyun. I caught her just in time by the door. "Hey Seolhyun you're close to Hyejeong-sshi right?". "Yes, Why?" She asked seeming al little taken aback by my question. "For the watershed project I'm sure I can convince the teacher to switch our partners, I know Chanmi can be a handful sometimes" I held onto the strap of my backpack hoping that she'll fall for my reasoning and won't see that I'm nervous to work with Hyejeong. "I would like to but my parents want me to become more sociable and plus Chanmi-sshi isn't that bad". I agreed with her wishing her a good weekend before dropping my head. 

Damn it.