Final Day (Part 4)

Sharing the Last Sunset

Tired and restless, that was my default mood because it was our finals week. I was all around doing my requirements before our final exams are given. It was those nights that I just want to lay down in bed and take a break. But I simply can’t, I am piled with home works to complete and papers to review. So here I am trying to grasp how effed am I, as I sit on my desk and stare at the amount of papers left undone.

Even coffee doesn’t work anymore. I really hate exam weeks (lol, who does?). Then my phone rings and I knew I was saved. I shuffled my stuff and diligently searched for my phone. With state of mess my room is right now, I am just lucky I found it in just one dig.

 

“Hello?”

“Having a hard time, eh?”

“Who isn’t?”

“Just don’t forget, I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 7PM.”

“What for?”

 

Then he hangs up.

To be honest, that puts a smile on my face. Mark calling amidst all these stress makes my heart flutter a bit with glee. He is that type of guys. But I don’t get it why would he pick me tomorrow at 7PM? Well anyways, I still have tons of lessons to review so I need to go back and work this out.

 

The next day comes and I almost forgot that he was going to pick me up. I looked at the clock and it says that I only have 30 minutes to prepare. So, I hastily took a shower and got dressed. It isn’t the first time Mark had asked me out. Usually, he would often just leave me a message and then he’ll come and pick me up. We would stroll around and spend our days with each other, and for me, it was perfect. This time, it was just really off the timing. I was busy finishing works and then he came up but I couldn’t say no.

 

I heard our doorbell rang and I knew it was him. I took my phone and my wallet and hurriedly went down. When I saw him, he was well dressed; overly garbed for my vintage shirt and jeans. He was stunningly handsome as if I never saw him in that light.

 

“What? Am I too handsome tonight?”

“You’ve gone mad. Where are you taking me anyway?”

“To the diner, let’s go.”

 

He owned a car that was given by his dad when he turned 18, and we drove by it going to this diner. We arrived safely and went in. The view isn’t really exemplary; it was just like the usual diners, no romantic vibe and old-fashioned. I don’t get it why Mark wanted us to go here.

 

“Why take me here?”

 

“I just want to eat pancakes.”

 

“You ask me out to eat pancakes?”

 

“Why, don’t you like pancakes?”

 

Sometimes Mark can really be annoying. I don’t know if he is just too thick skinned or a complete idiot. I am on the verge of my finals, trying to survive with my papers, with little time on hand and he wanted me to dine with him with some pancakes on this not-so-good-looking place.

 

When our food came he didn’t even touch his food. He was just staring at me as I ate.

 

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“I thought you wanted to it pancakes. Why are you just staring at me? It makes me feel uncomfortable.”

“Why?”

“Just… can’t you just simply eat?”

“You are like a girl… on her period,” he smirked and he took a bite on his fare.

“Excuse me, what?!?”

“I said I love you.”

 

It was the first time I heard those words from him, and I was completely taken aback with surprise. He would only say ‘I like you’, ‘you are special to me’, ‘I care for you’ but he never did actually tell that he loves me. I can’t hide my smile and I want him to repeat his words, “What did you just say?”

“I said, I love you. I love you Kim Yugyeom. I asked you out today so that you could take a break from all the stress that you have been suffering lately. I know, you are so busy but I am happy that I’ve got to spend the night with you. Even though you have forgotten how special today is. Happy 100 days Gyeom. I hope we could have our 200th, 300th, 400th, 500th, 1000th, and so on days together. I love you!”

Then I felt my emotions surging from my heart and filling my entire system. I never expected this night to turn out this way. In this crappy diner, eating breakfast food at dinner time, with the person I love and his words of endearment makes everything perfect, makes everything light.

I didn’t notice that I was already smiling like an idiot. I stare at him with a goofy smile holding back my tears, but he easily catches on and notice that my eyes are wet.

“What’s the matter, don’t cry babe.”

“I’m not crying you idiot.’

“Yes, you are,” he said as he smirks and takes a bite of his waffle.