Too Late To Apologize

Wedding Gone Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sehun was unsure of how he got to where he currently was. He recalled frantic voices around them, hands touching her, hooking her up to intimidating-looking machines. And then she was gone and nurses were trying to make him understand that he could not go with her. She was his wife and he was everything she had. How could they not understand that?

 

It was his mother who finally managed to knock some sense into him, back to reality. That was the reason why he called her in the first place because he started feeling like everything he had ever loved and cared for was slipping from his grasp and all he could do was watch helplessly as it was taken away forever.

 

“Relax, honey. Ripping your hair off will not help anybody.” His mother’s soothing voice reached his ears.

 

“But, mom--” He choked on his words, peering up at her from underneath his bangs.

 

“You need to stay calm. I know that this is hard for you. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. But she is going to need you once she gets out of that operating room which is why you simply cannot afford to fall apart right now.”

 

“How do you know she’s going to be alright?” His tone would have sounded harsh; he had enough strength to back up the angry emotions swirling inside of him.

 

“She has to be alright. Because you two are not finished yet.” Mrs. Oh answered, confidence dripping from her words,

 

“But that’s exactly it! What if she’s not alright? What if--” He started to protest, only to be interrupted once again by an unfamiliar voice.

 

“Mr. Oh? I’m Dr. Lee, in charge of your wife’s case.” Sehun had never been more eager to meet someone in his life.

 

“How is she?” He demanded, his entire demeanour changing at the mere prospect of finally learning more about her state.

 

“Well, I have bad news and good news. The good news is the operation was successful. We stopped the bleeding and found out that no major organs have been affected by the impact. However, she has lost a lot of blood so it is highly probable that she will remain unconscious for a while.”

 

“And the bad news?” Sehun’s mother prompted gently as she rose from her chair to stand next to her son, placing a hand on his forearm in means of silent consolation.

 

“She has lost the baby.” The doctor eventually answered, regret tainting his voice. Time seemed to have stopped for Sehun. The unexpected news hit him like a ton of bricks, making his heart stop. His knees unable to support his weight anymore and he fell back onto the chair behind him, struggling to breathe.

 

“The baby?” She questioned, a deep frown marring her features. Maybe she had heard wrong. The two of them might have made a lot of progress but they were nowhere close to being ready to become parents.

 

“I take it you don’t know what I’m talking about.” The doctor stated, looking only slightly surprised. “Mrs. Oh was pregnant. She had two months of pregnancy.”

 

The words seemed to echo in Sehun’s head after the young medic was gone, reminding him of all the events that should have clued him in but hadn’t been paid enough attention of all she had tried to speak to him and he ignored her. Tears blurred his vision as he drove his hands roughly through his hair. How could he have treated her like that? For God’s sake, how could he have touched Irene? Jinri had been pregnant with his child and she had lost it because of him. How would he ever manage to look at her in the eye again?

~•~

 

Jinri woke up on the morning of her third day in the hospital, as the doctor was checking up on her. At first, her brain was unable to grasp what was going on. She had trouble remembering what had happened and didn’t understand why she couldn’t recognize her surroundings. It took her another minute to recognize the dreadfully familiar interior of a hospital room, her senses suddenly attacked by the smell of antiseptic and disinfectant. Ever since that fateful night, she had never stepped inside hospital again. She was here in a room like this to find that her brother was dead; the only person who had ever truly cared for her.

 

Minho had meant the world to her. He helped her pick out the clothes she wore on her first date and spied on her the entire evening, claiming that he could not trust his sister to anybody yet. He defended her in front of their parents. He carried her home when she was too tired to get there herself. He taught her how to swim, how to drive. He wiped her tears when she cried and laughed with her when she smiled.

 

And he was no longer there. She would have done everything in her power to avoid returning to this place. It was funny how fate liked to play with her. Maybe she had really been guilty of that accident, of her brother’s death. Maybe this was God’s way of punishing her for that.

 

“What happened?” She began but trailed off. felt dry and her voice was raspy as though she had not used it for a long period of time.

 

“You were involved in a car crash. A driver ran the red light.” Making the necessary connections, she realized he was most likely the medic in charge.

 

“I can’t remember.” She confessed in a meek whisper, her head starting to throb painfully as she struggled to put the pieces back together.

 

“Soon enough, you will.” The medic assured her, turning his attention back to the IV drip attached to her arm. “How are you feeling? Does anything hurt?”

 

“Mostly everything.” She replied sincerely, her features twisting into a painful grimace as she tried to move. Her hand unconsciously sprawling over her stomach, then realization hit and her heart pummelled to her stomach. “My baby.” She whispered, begging him to say the right thing.

 

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Oh.”

 

“No.” Jinri said, denying what she had heard even as her eyes filled with tears and her voice started to shake. “No, it can’t be. You’re just kidding, right?”

 

“Mrs. Oh, please try to calm down. I understand how hard this must be for you but you risk causing more damage to your body.” The medic advised her, his hand returning to its previous position on her shoulder.

 

“Don’t touch me! Where’s Sehun?” She cried as he forcefully held her down, carelessly trying to fight him off, uncaring of her sore body and still unhealed wounds.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter