Chapter 1

Loyalty and Treachery

FIRST OF ALL THIS FIC WILL BE WRITTEN IN SUNGYEOL AND MYUNGSOO POINT OF VIEWS AND I WOULD LIKE TO KINDLY ASK YOU TO FIRST READ A FEW CHAPTERS - ESPECIALLY SOME OF MYUNGSOO POV BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO ABANDON IT - I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT WILL HAPPEN BUT PLEASE BE PATIENT - THIS FIC IS VERY SAD AND DEPRESSING BUT I HOPE YOU WILL STILL LIKE IT ;)

 

***

Sungyeol POV

 

There is not much of the age difference between us. Only three years. And yet, it was enough for me to be your bodyguard since I was a kid. I am from a famous family of bodyguards, or well butlers to be precise. We are born to serve. We do all the neccesary tasks, we take care of our masters but of course, our priority is to protect our master. We are trained to be exceptionally skilled in martial arts and if the situation called for it we would give our lives for them in a second. In the area of royal families, our job was much more popular, now when democracy is at its peak, our purpose is slowly dissappering.

 

Some of us go and serve influencial and rich families, but there is not many people who could afford our sevices, moreover, they don´t think they need to. They mostly have maids and regular bodyguards.  Butlers are very rare.

 

But in South Korea, my homeland, the oligarchy is still seen. Royal family may be just an act, all important decissions are made by the parliament and other state bodies, but only a fool would say, they have no political power. It may be so on the paper, but reality is different. Through the years, when the royals have started to loose their power, they have obtianed a great deal of corporations and are now on the top of the rich list. Through their diplomatic connections, great economic stability, they actually still control everything in the background. But even without all of this, I think, people would still listen to them, because they are loved and respected. They have always protected our country and they play a big role in the development of South Korea. They were able to stop the war with the North, the final piece treaty was signed only a few years ago. After many failed attempts, it was finally the current king, that broke the other side and made them sign the treaty. They brought many investors to our homeland and our country is at its peak since this generation took over.

They had two sons and of course the older one is supposed to take over the trone. I am good at my job, but I have a clumsy side to myself. I would have never been assigned to the heir to the trone. But the younger sibling, that I could do. He is a pampered child, who will live his life in the shadow of his father and brother.

 

This have caused troubles in the royal families before. When the one with less chances has decided to violently take the lead. If they were ambitious and strong enough, they caused blood wars. If they lacked the strenght, they suffered from depression and many of them have commited suicide, feeling unjustice.  I know, that king and queen had a second child hoping for a girl. Instead, Kim Myungsoo was born.

 

It caused quite a stirr, everyone feared the history would repeat itself once again, but as the child was growing, everyone was surprised. Myungsoo is quiet and polite. He doesn´t want to be in the spotlight, he is happy for his brother who walks the path of succession. He is not jealous, not angry, not upset. He is perfect for the role of second son. He is beautiful and possess maybe even more elegance and poise than his father or brother. He is perfect for taking pictures for magazines. However, he is not very good with interviews, he is not much of a talker, but then again his quiet and graceful pose and short, polite and intelligent answers are just right for the image of a prince.

 

I became his bodyguard when he was ten. He was already a very smart child and I was fascinated by him. He is a little shorter than me, but otherwise we have a pretty similar body shape. However, even though I was trained harshly since I was born, I still sometimes trip over my own feet. It never happens when I need to fight , but in my daily activities I am a clutz. A very ungraceful sight for a butler. On the other hand, Myungsoo walks lightly, his head always high up, steps are not too short, nor too long... simply perfect.

 

Some even say, that he is more fit to be the king than his brother, but that´s only on the surface. While his image may be even neater than his hyung, he lacks the dominant characteristics. His brother was born a king in personality, while Myungsoo was born a king in appearance. I saw him grow and the older he was, the more beautiful he was.

 

I was warned not to fall for my master. It is very common between servants and very dangerous. We need to have a cool head, to be able to make right and quick decissions when we are in danger. Once, we love our masters too much, our feelings get in the way and we make stupid mistakes. But when you are raised to please someone, when you spend most of your life taking care of the other person, beeing by his side 24/7, and when that person is someone as amazing as Myungsoo, it´s not easy to control yourself. At first, I didn´t know that my feelings started to change. I didn´t realize I was falling for him more and more with each day. But two years ago, he got hurt. He went riding and the horse got scared by a snake on the path and Myungsoo couldn´t maintain his position and fall down. Fortunately, it wasn´t serious, but the moment when he fell, the time stopped and my heart sank. That´s when I found out. I was in love with him.

 

I was always there for him, guarding him, watching over him. Every time he needed something, I was there to do it for him, to help him, to simply stand by him. Even in times, when I myself have disagreed with him, I have not voiced my opinions aloud. Not because I was afraid, or because it was expected, but because when the whole world was against him, I promised I would be the one supporting him. But everything, I have ever done for him was disregarded as a duty of a butler. He was my master. I was his servant. We were nothing more and nothing less than that. He never treated me as equal, as a friend... He never noticed the love in my eyes, the blind devotion I had for him.

 

The life always plays with you and the fate usually strikes when you least expect it. Today is a day, that will make history. It´s the day, when everything changed.


***

to be continued