Conversations with Women

Nowhere Left to Run

Sorry it's short. Yunho up after this!

------x------

 

 

 

“I think I know what your problem is.”

“Oh yeah? Please, enlighten me.”

Jaejoong chuckled as he leant further over the balcony toward his newfound friend. Ever since that fateful night when he came out and found Minjung singing, they had been meeting periodically. They would sit out there, on their respective balconies, and catch up. Subconsciously, Jaejoong had started to live for these little meetings. The rest of his life had become a meaningless countdown of the hours until he saw Minjung again. Each time they met he felt a little bit more human; it was like therapy. He reached over to Minjung’s balcony to hand her another beer as she began to speak.

“You, my friend, have an addictive personality.”

“I’m sorry?”

“You have an addictive personality! You easily get addicted to anything, whether it be smoking, drinking, music, comics, love, anything you’re interested in.”

“Is that so?” Jaejoong did little to mask his amusement.

“Most definitely. And you want to know your biggest addiction?”

“You mean you haven’t listed it already?”

Minjung gave Jaejoong a look much to serious for his liking, and sat silent. Jaejoong grew more uncomfortable as he sat in anticipation of her response.

“Attention.”

Jaejoong shot her a quizzical look, but said nothing. Minjung decided to continue.

“You crave attention, anyway you can get it. You find comfort and confidence externally, so you need constant confirmation that you’re doing life right. You’re a victim of your own vanity.”

“And where did you get that idea?”

“From my observations. The way you dress, your constant cam-, your ever-growing multitude of friends, your self-destruction complex-“

“Excuse me, self-destruction complex?”

“Your apparent aversion to anything good for you. All the bad habits, always overworking yourself, living alone-“

“You live alone too.”

Minjung grunted in frustration at Jaejoong’s constant interruptions. “Yes, but I live alone because I hate people. It’s a whole different set of problems. I bask in my loneliness, I don’t drown in it.”

“You don’t hate people, everyone needs human interaction. Perhaps you’re a bit of a masochist.”

“I’m more than a bit of a masochist for sure. But so are you.”

Minjung toasted her beer toward Jaejoong before taking a sip, obviously feeling quite triumphant in her psychoanalysis. Jaejoong sighed, but couldn’t stop a smile from forming on his lips. He liked that she had made so much effort to figure out what kind of person he was. He had obviously been on her mind.

“Well, you’ve just got me all figured out, haven’t you?”

“You act like it was so difficult.”

The conversation faded into lighter topics, but Jaejoong’s thoughts kept shifting back to what Minjung had said, as his self-doubt set in. Was he really self-destructive? He couldn’t deny that he was vain or that he liked attention more than most, but he had never seen it as a bad thing. Was that all she saw him as, an attention ?

“You know, we’ve been coming out here almost every night for a while now, but I’ve never heard you sing. In fact, I’ve never even seen you in the daylight.”

“We’ll have to go to lunch or something sometime. As for the singing, we can fix that tonight.”

“Now why is it that you sound like a predator saying that? Was that supposed to be cute?”

Jaejoong’s cheeks flushed a bit as Minjung raised her eyebrows teasingly. Suddenly, her face went blank and she averted her gaze to the landscape before them.

“I don’t want to sound too lame or sentimental or anything, but I’m really glad I have you to talk to. So, do me a favor and don’t disappear anytime soon, okay?”

Minjung lifted her beer to her lips and looked anywhere and everywhere, except at Jaejoong. He figured she had more to say, but he left it alone. To lift the mood, Jaejoong started singing Colors, the song he’d heard Minjung playing when he met her. His heart swelled to sing a song he hadn’t in so long, his emotions filling his voice to the brim. Minjung listened intently as Jaejoong went through his entire repertoire, singing old DBSK songs, JYJ songs, songs he had written for himself but never had the nerve to sing to an audience. They went on like that for hours, letting the music say everything neither of them could before.