Look at the stars; look how they shine for you. And all the things you do.

Nowhere Left to Run

 

Watching her dance was one of the few things that truly gave him happiness lately. Her movements were so graceful, her face filled with such meaning. She gave new life to each and every dance she performed. It was beautiful, really, truly beautiful; almost as beautiful as she was.

            But not quite.

            Everything about Mari drew him in. Her petite frame, her slightly wavy dark brown hair flowing mid-way down her back, her pale skin and heart-shaped face, her indiscriminate features provided by her Korean-Spanish ancestry, the cute way she giggled every time he mispronounced her name, he could go on for days. He had been watching her dance in this studio every Tuesday and Thursday for the past month since meeting her in his yoga class, which she taught before she came here to dance. He had been watching her for too long, surely this wasn’t healthy. He watched some more as she leapt across the floor with such ease, gliding into position after position without a hair falling out of place. If he waited much longer, she could slip form his grasp. In fact, she could already have a boyfriend. Time was of the essence; he needed to take the next step. Today, he would make his move.

            Junsu fixed his hair and straightened his shirt before making his way into the studio. He meekly cleared his throat, trying to catch Mari’s attention. Mari stopped dancing before turning slowly towards Junsu. With a gracious smile, she turned off the music and walked toward him, bowing in greeting.

            “What can I do for you, Junsu?” She tilted her head in curiosity.

            God, he thought. Why does she have to be so cute?

            “Nothing. Well, actually something. I didn’t want to bother you though if you’re busy, because it’s nothing. I mean, it’s obviously something, but it’s nothing important. I just wanted to ask you something. Something that’s not important.”

            He mentally slapped himself as she giggled at his folly and lightly pushed his shoulder.

            “Go ahead and ask me then.”

            “Well, I was wondering if you wanted to go and get coffee with me tomorrow. Actually, we don’t have to get coffee; we can do something else, or get something else. Whatever you want, as long as it involves me. And you. Me and you, together.”

            Junsu used her silence as a moment to brace himself for rejection. It’s okay, he thought. The worst she can say is no. He got so caught up in his preparation he didn’t even hear her agree to go out with him.

            “Junsu? Are you still with me?”

            “What? What did you just say?”

            She laughed before picking up his hand and writing down her phone number. “Pick me up from here at 3?”

            He nodded slightly and stared at his hand in amazement while she laughed once again and started stretching. He absentmindedly waved goodbye and walked out of the community center towards his car as reality hit him. He had actually succeeded. This time tomorrow, he would be out with the girl of his dreams.

 

            Now what was he going to wear?

------x------

Nothing pleased Yoochun more than finishing a good song. The feeling of accomplishment he got when he played the final composition to himself was indescribable and definitely incomparable. This unrivaled feeling of content filled his apartment that morning as he fiddled around on the piano and sipped his tea, staring at the papers before him, the fruits of his labor. He smiled at the music notes as a pair of slender arms slipped around his waist.

            “What’s that? A song? Will you play it for me?”

            Yoochun once again smiled to himself, before shaking his head. “You should get dressed. Do you want breakfast before you leave? I had a great time last night, but I’ve really got to get to work soon.”

            The beauty stood up shocked before shaking her head and heading to his bedroom. He turned back to the piano and listened as she got dressed and walked towards his door.

            “Thanks again, Eunmi. It was really nice.”

            “It’s Eunkyung.”

            “Oh right, sorry. I’m just so tired this morning.”

            He gave an apologetic grin that even his dejected lover couldn’t resist. She eagerly smiled back before opening the door and making her exit.

            Finally alone, Yoochun went to his bed to rest. As he lay down, he wondered when he would meet a girl who would keep his interest for more than a night. His thoughts wandered to the other members and their whereabouts, prompting him to call Junsu, who eagerly told him of his upcoming date. After the conversation, Yoochun felt a pang of jealousy. When would he feel the excitement of a first date? He couldn’t remember the last time he had properly taken a girl out. It’s not that he wasn’t a gentleman, but it was so much easier to pick up women in bars and clubs. They were already out and on the prowl, he didn’t even have to make plans or buy them dinner. He had sunk into this routine of going out and coming home with a new girl almost every night so easily that he didn’t even realize he missed having a proper relationship.

            Yoochun pushed away his envy as he made his way back to the piano to marvel over his newly finished song. He didn’t need a relationship right then anyway, he was completely fine where he was. He was in a good place, given the circumstances. Why complicate things? He grabbed his tea and sat on the couch, turning the television on as he made himself comfortable. He watched as a young actress was being interviewed for her upcoming film. She’s pretty, he noticed.

            He continued mindlessly flipping channels until the afternoon became evening. Becoming restless, he called Jaejoong out for a drink. And so we start again, he thought.

 

And the wheel keeps spinning round and round.