One

Earned It

 

 

You're supposed to drop
by  Kim   Jongin's   studio
at  1pm  for  the first day
of  your  greatest duty in
life.  Focus and  keep the
 low,  ok? Fighting~!

-Jongdae ^^

Like using a colored pen isn't enough to show emphasis to his words. Of course! Highlighting has to be an option, too.

Baekhyun lets out the most pissed off noise he hears himself heave this month, before his hand reaches forward to tear the ugly, eye-catching, almost neon pink post-it off the binder on his desk. "ing , this was supposed to be his goddamn job. I have my own damn projects on hand, either." One of them, due first thing tomorrow morning and he's still pretty far from completion.

Not to mention how much his eyes are burning from the horrible mixture of colors on the post-it note.

Note to self: he needs to replace Jongdae's post-it with normal white ones when he has the time.

He emits a groan before he glances at his wrist watch; 12.20pm on the dot. He be damned if he gets caught speeding because , it's going to take him at least an hour to reach his destination. Quickly, he prays for himself and wastes no more time in his office.

 


 

Baekhyun scrambles out of the elevator and the first thing he fortunately sees is exactly what he's looking for: Studio 1. That basically means 김종인 to him and he hears himself sighing from relief.

Ignoring his racing heart, most definitely from the hurry he had been previously, he musters the courage to knock on the door. It's so quiet around here and there don't seem to be music playing in the studio, however, he sees Jongin dancing slowly. Like a warm up, but yet quite unlikely. 

He pushes the door open slightly, peeking his head in. "Kim Jongin-ssi?"

Jongin stops moving. He straightens himself right away, but he doesn't turn around and Baekhyun stares at Jongin's back long enough that he drags his focus to the mirror to find the latter's gaze already on him through the reflection. His ears heat up from surprise.

"Jongin-ssi, am I interrupting you?" Please don't say yes.

"Yes," Jongin answers with a hint of flatness which Baekhyun acknowledges. "Yes you are."

"My apologies," Baekhyun sends a small smile at his way but Jongin doesn't reciprocate. Baekhyun's ears are burning by now. "My name is Byun Baekhyun and I'm here to discuss the plans as well as the schedule in the making of your documentary?"

Jongin's head tilts back as the information registers in his head, as if he suddenly remembers something important. Then, he turns around, more politely, and bows at Baekhyun respectfully which Baekhyun returns without hesitation. When they straighten, Jongin says, "I wasn't informed that you'd be here today."

Baekhyun can't help his eyes from widening reflexively at the reply. Had he not noticed anything he should on the piece of post it before he'd thrown it away? Jongdae did say it was today at 1 o'clock, there's absolutely no way in hell he's going to let this trip down to waste. He opens his mouth to say something his brain has yet to think up, but he's cut to it.

"It's fine," Jongin smiles slightly, warmly at Baekhyun. "We can get down to it now so don't worry about coming for nothing.  Just let me pack my things."

Baekhyun nods. 

He doesn't look away from Jongin, even as he's walking around the room, going to the switches on the wall to turn off the air conditioning. Not even when he's walking over to where there's a paper bag and a pair of leather shoes, which he supposes is his. Kim Jongin's known to carry paper bags most of the time so he must be right.

Is he supposed to be affected by Kim Jongin? 

The way his natural colored hair falls limp over his forehead; side shaves making him look neat, clean. His skin, Baekhyun notices, is even bronzer in person than in pictures but it looks nice to say the least. He's seen everywhere on the papers, streets, television, yet Baekhyun's never been this close to him personally.

Jongin looks like he's a model straight out from Vogue magazine, with the aura of a dancer who's confident in everything he does. He seems so flawless, perfect. Baekhyun feels like he isn't even good enough to be speaking to him even though he's spoken to many other celebrities before. And not once, has he ever felt the way he currently feels towards interacting with Jongin.

So he continues shamelessly staring discreetly, eyes widening very slowly when Jongin bends down, looking graceful even when he's just turning off the speakers. He doesn't even seem to be trying. And Baekhyun notices Jongin's , but he's far from sorry.

He only turns away when he thinks Jongin has a chance of looking at him and catching him staring.

He peripherally watches Jongin slip on his shoes easily without wearing socks, picks up his paper bag, checks his belongings in place for the last time before he turns to walk towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun shuts his eyes briefly and entwines his fingers behind his back. 

"Let's go somewhere comfortable, I know a place," Jongin suggests. His voice is deep, so smooth and Baekhyun finds himself swallowing the spit gathering in his mouth as he responds stiffly with a nod behind the taller male. Even though he knows Jongin won't see it.

He steps further outside of the dance studio while Jongin switches off the lights inside, then shuts the door behind them.

They begin walking, side by side. 

It's a little bit awkward for Baekhyun. He doesn't usually feel this way around everyone but for some reason, knowing he had disturbed Jongin's dance practice makes him uneasy and guilty. In addition, embarrassed. Still, if they're going to have to talk about other things, they may as well start right here, right now.

"So, Jongin-ssi," Baekhyun initiates, attempting small talk. "Have you been practicing the whole morning?"

"That's what I have to do," Jongin pauses briefly to run his fingers swiftly through his soft hair. "Yes. I've been here since six, sharp."

"Do you always start the day off at six?" Baekhyun questions curiously. 

"Sometimes five, it really depends on my mood," Jongin slants his head to the side instead of shrugging his shoulders.

When Baekhyun bumps into Jongin's arm by accident, he's reminded of how close he is to Jongin and he almost, almost blatantly curses himself for absentmindedly nearing Jongin as they walk. He apologizes quickly and takes a decent sized step to the side, keeping a distance between them.

"It's okay," Jongin says, quietly. "You don't have to react like you'd just bumped into a boiling kettle, you know."

Baekhyun blinks at Jongin's choice of words but makes no comment about it. He may, but Jongin isn't even a friend so he doesn't.

Without knowing where actually he's being led, Baekhyun later finds himself in a quiet, empty lounge somewhere in the building with superb lighting, sitting on a comfortable, broad red leather couch.

And face to face with a really attractive Kim Jongin.

Baekhyun has to calm himself down and remind himself that this is just a one time thing. This isn't his job, Jongdae's going to resume on his project which is this one, and Baekhyun will be back working on his own ones.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Baekhyun asks, looking around to search for a vending machine. None at all though. That's bad considering he's getting thirstier and thirstier just by being around Jongin. 

"I have my own water, thanks. Do you need one?" Jongin asks in return, only to receive a shake of head.

"To begin with, I'm here on my colleague's behalf so I'll let you know what I've been told to explain. I'm sure you've received the printed papers with the filming schedule?"

Jongin nods.

"And you must already know that it will all begin next Monday. The crew has to arrive before you to set up every gear needed. You're not required to read a script or anything so just be you throughout the recording. How the pieces of shots and films taken will be left up to the way my colleague wants it to be," Baekhyun makes a couple hand gestures along the way.

He tries to think about anything he may have forgotten.

"If the crew has to be here before me then I'll come in at nine every day, then," Jongin says thoughtfully, eyes attentive to nowhere in particular as he makes his point clear.

"That won't be necessary," Baekhyun perks up, smiling small. "Although it means a lot for you to think of the crew this way, I thank you on their behalf. Though, this is their job, they earn based on what they do and this documentary is all about you. Nothing must hinder you from being you."

Baekhyun feels nervous even having to turn down something like that, but it's all about professionalism. Despite being older than Kim Jongin by 2 years, he's only been in this industry for 8 years... Unlike Kim Jongin who has been here for more than that. In terms of experience, he's supposed to look up to the dancer.

Jongin looks at Baekhyun with a blank expression. And frankly, that only adds on to Baekhyun's jittery nerves. "Fine."

Baekhyun feels his fingers curling into his palms by his sides. The air conditioning is blowing directly at them; Jongin is unfazed by that but Baekhyun has always been sensitive to cold. He wants to finish this talk quickly and never return, never have to face this discomfort. He's certain he has more important things to do, which he does.

Like punching the hell out of Jongdae. He's never forgiving the man for this.

Baekhyun shakes his hair away from his eyes to look at Jongin. "Oh, yes. Also, I'm not sure how my colleague will explain to you in details regarding the film's composition but he'll get back to you tomorrow."

Jongin keeps his gaze fixated on Baekhyun. He doesn't look away but neither does Baekhyun and it keeps up for a while. The older man has never been oblivious to his surroundings because he can't seem to do so, but times like this, he wishes he could. 

"Is that it?" Jongin raises his eyebrows.

"Yes," Baekhyun says slowly, surely. He grows doubtful when Jongin's making him think otherwise under that intense fixed stare.

He's ready to stand when Jongin blurts, "If your colleague's supposed to be the one coming today, why are you here?"

"His name is Kim Jongdae and he's got something urgent to handle at the very last minute so he couldn't make it today," Baekhyun lets out a silent breath. Why does he feel so high-strung? He must have had too much coffee on the way to work, he knew buying two cups wasn't the best idea. That's the only reason.

"If there's something more important to him than the planning of my documentary, I want you to be my producer instead."

"I beg your pardon?" Baekhyun's jaw goes slack at what he hears. He doesn't realize he's staring dumbly at Jongin until Jongin lets out a chuckle and returns an amused look; his eyes curved and lips stretched into a tiny grin that makes Baekhyun twice as nervous as before.

"I prefer working with people I've met before. I don't choose since I rarely get the chance to, but since you'd said that this film is all about me, I may as well grab this opportunity to choose you to be my producer instead," Jongin elaborates. His tone remains neutral and so normal throughout as he speaks, and Baekhyun wonders how he does it.

Baekhyun blinks again. "I don't know how things will go from here, but I'll speak to my boss about it. He's the one who makes the decisions."

"I can get my manager to speak to him, would that be better?" Jongin presses on slowly. He's unaware of the fact that Baekhyun is breaking out in cold sweat.

"It's fine," Baekhyun says firmly. "I'll handle things."

All of sudden, Baekhyun feels burdened as hell.

 


 

"Yah, Kim Jongdae!" Baekhyun screams the moment the said person steps inside his office, after he's sure the door is shut tight. "What the were you thinking when you last minute pushed your job to me right after lunch break?"

Jongdae merely laughs, like he has been expecting this but the fury bubbling in Baekhyun's veins disallows him to care about anything else.

"So did things go well or not?" Jongdae asks after his laughter ceases, taking a seat on one of Baekhyun's office couches. He crosses his legs and folds his arms all at once. 

"Oh, it was great," Baekhyun snaps. "So great that now, he wants me to do his documentary for him instead of you. I'm happy and honored because that means more pay for me," he sends a sickeningly sweet smile at Jongdae, before turning away to save himself from watching Jongdae's explosive reaction.

Shockingly, his office is quiet after his snarky remark which isn't what he's used to, at all. It's so unusual that he has to make the effort to turn to and look at Jongdae, only to find the moronic happy-go-lucky grinning so widely at him, Baekhyun feels his cheeks hurt on his behalf. 

"Can you stop doing that," Baekhyun sighs in defeat. "Why are you so happy." He doesn't even bother letting it sound like a question as the words roll out of his mouth.

"Nothing," Jongdae giggles then resumes having the eating grin plastered on his face. "I know you've got something due tomorrow though, since my job is now yours, I'll complete that something for you by tonight and send it to you latest three in the morning for submission through email."

Baekhyun still feels the burden on his shoulders. But he nods nonetheless, grateful (and still hateful) to Jongdae for helping (and not being that big of a help) him out on this one.

"Also, I'll tell Suho hyung about the news so for the rest of the day, just stick to doing something light. I can only imagine how you must be feeling right now," Jongdae does a little pout and Baekhyun only manages a laugh at Jongdae's eyebrows. A knock on his office door catches their attention though, and Jongdae rises from the couch. "I'll come back later, maybe with Suho hyung."

Baekhyun leans back onto the backrest of the chair and closes his eyes as he waits for the next person to come in. 

"Hyung," Sehun begins. "Kim Jongin's on the line, he wants to speak to you."

"Sehun ah," Baekhyun's eyes flutter open as quickly as he breathes. "Can you be the best secretary in the world and tell him I'm not back in my office yet?"

"Sorry, hyung," another one with another eating grin, Baekhyun bitterly thinks to himself as Sehun slowly backs out of his office. "I told him to give me a minute while I came to inform you about it."

"One fine day, I'm going to fire you," Baekhyun growls, grudgingly reaching forward to pick up the phone. He presses on a button that directs the call to him. "Hello, Byun Baekhyun speaking."

"Baekhyun-ssi."

"Ah, Jongin-ssi. I just got back to my office, so I haven't had the chance to see my boss..."

"That's fine," pause "But I only called because I was wondering if we could meet up for tea tomorrow?"

"Yes, of course." Baekhyun's chest tightens.

"Kamong cafe at two?"

"I'll see you there, Jongin-ssi." He gulps.

"Great."

Baekhyun hangs up first, and after a loud sigh, he throws his head on the table and throws a tiny tantrum in perturbation. He's done for.