Seven

Earned It
 

Jongin pouts. "Hyung."

Baekhyun hums in response, keeping his eyes fixated on the road.

Jongin whines and throws his head back against the seat rest, twisting his body completely to face Baekhyun next to him. "Hyung, why can't you be more romantic? Like, maybe hold my hand and drive with a hand on the steering— oh. Forget it."

Confused due to Jongin's words, Baekhyun pulls on the brake as the car decelerates at the red light. He turns to Jongin, slanting his head a little to the side; a hand naturally resting on the younger's thigh. "Why d'you stop talking?"

"I didn't feel like continuing," Jongin mumbles, shrugging.

Baekhyun feels the tips of his fingers growing a tad cold from the sudden tiny fall of his heart, and blinks, "Are you mad?"

"Of course I'm not!" Jongin's head almost collides with the ceiling of the car at how quickly he jumped up to disagree, instantly shrinking once again sheepishly. "I'm not, I'm not."

"Then why the sudden—"

"I just don't wanna talk about it, okay?" Jongin sighs, shoulders slumping further and Baekhyun lets it go, but his hand remains where it was. He eyes Jongin though, still, through the corner of his eye even though he's supposed to have his attention solely on the road in front.

It's a little strange seeing Jongin behaving differently after making an unusual statement; hell, it's uncomfortable to Baekhyun because he never would've expected this to happen, since Jongin's fantastic at bringing forth his playfulness to no extent when he doesn't have a reason to be serious. He sighs to himself, as quietly as possible as the car begins moving again and ponders slowly, carefully, thoroughly about what the reason could be.

Romanticism? Well, Baekhyun hasn't entirely shown his best romantic side to Jongin in the short span of time they've taken their relationship to the next level but Jongin was being playful and whenever he's playful, he never means it. So this could be a possibility—but definitely not the reason. If that isn't the case then it's got to be the latter one. 

Driving with a hand on the steering wheel; Jongin must've recalled about Baekhyun accident. After all, it's the main reason for his anguish considering he had totally lost all traces of who he was in Baekhyun's memory. 

The older man nods to himself once, squeezes Jongin's thighs understandingly before letting go to wedge it between the said man's entwined fingers. He untwines them and interlocks his own fingers with Jongin's. "You could've shared your worry with me, you know. It's less burdensome that way."

"So I see some things haven't changed," Jongin chuckles knowingly, cupping his free hand over Baekhyun's. "I'm sorry. Even though it didn't happen on me, it's just a sensitive topic to me. I can't quite handle it the way you do, no matter what I try."

"Some things specifically—let me guess—my ability to figure out what's troubling you, am I right?"

"Well, obviously."

Baekhyun breaks into a grin as he turns around the corner, driving into a small street. The restaurant's next door now and all he needs to do is find a parking lot and they're able to sit and talk for a while; at least before it's time to join Chanyeol and Kyungsoo at the same table inside.

"There's an empty lot right there," Jongin points out, directing Baekhyun who listens and follows.

"By the way, you don't have to be sorry, you know," Baekhyun says casually glancing over at Jongin shortly before averting his gaze back to the space between his car and the neighboring two. Parking his car has never seemed so challenging until he has to do so in narrow spaces, he almost cusses but refrains and remembers to carry on, sensing Jongin's confusion. "About your sudden moodswing upon remembering something unpleasant."

"It's your second time telling me the exact same thing," Jongin laughs. "But you probably think it's your first time doing so."

"I believe it isn't my first," Baekhyun admits. "I always tell the people closest to me, to never apologize just because."

The car engine dies down and the car has a kind of muting silence, apart from the sounds of breathing. The both of them sit in utter silence until Jongin speaks up again, and Baekhyun turns to him with his lips pulled in a semi smile.

"Hyung?"

"Yes?"

"I love you."

Baekhyun stops breathing for a second, and his shock may have been obvious enough to the point where Jongin takes notice on it but doesn't mention so and instead, adds on saying, "You don't have to return it; I didn't say that to hear it back. I said it to make sure you knew... before anything else, and I should've said that a long time ago."

"I..." Baekhyun trails off, still speechless, and he feels bad that he can't return it yet because this is Baekhyun. He doesn't know if he's gotten to that point yet so he doesn't want to return it because it would be nothing but an empty promise and he can't take that, or stand that actually. "I know." And he doesn't say more, then leans forward to give Jongin a light kiss.

Jongin's smile doesn't falter after they pull away, much to Baekhyun surprise. Maybe that's why he feels so strongly about Jongin in the beginning—maybe that's the reason why. "Shall we go?"

Baekhyun grins before hurrying to get out of the car, rounding to the other side just to open the door for Jongin. He almost points it out but he doesn't, shuts up, closes and locks the door when Jongin steps out; fingers finding his hair right away. Kim Jongin is a very hot man, Kim Jongin is very much Byun Baekhyun's man.

Some of the passersby send the both of them looks of acknowledgement and Baekhyun bows respectfully at a few of the ones walking slow enough to see it but Jongin returns them with a small smile, waiting for Baekhyun to catch up to his side. Baekhyun notices the look on his face; like he's going to throw a tantrum except, he doesn't know why. Jongin rapidly waves Baekhyun over, "Hyung, hurry!"

Head down, Baekhyun speed walks to his side and tucks his hands in his pockets. "Why the rush?"

"I really can't afford to lose you in the crowd; this is a packed place if you haven't already realized," Jongin says in a matter of fact, lifting an eyebrow just as Baekhyun raises his head to look at him. "Also, your height isn't of any aid. Please. Stay by my side."

Baekhyun literally bursts out laughing before Jongin even finishes off speaking, his entire weight pushing against Jongin but he doesn't seem fazed by it as he stays firmly stood on the ground; the concern on his face evident. "The restaurant is right next to you, baby."

A corner of Jongin's lips twitch, "I know."

"So chill out, you're acting like I'm a kid."

"I just wanted you closer," Jongin rolls his lower lip into his mouth before adjusting the arm connected to his, steering Baekhyun nearer and beginning to walk. "And if it makes you call me baby every time I want you close, then I guess it's fine treating you like a kid."

"Yah, don't push it," Baekhyun glares warningly, but jokingly.

"We're being watched you know," Jongin says quietly after a moment of silence, in the midst of climbing the short flight of stairs leading to the restaurant's entrance.

Baekhyun wishes he could snatch his arm back, if Jongin wasn't holding onto his wrist like he's expecting that reaction. "Would this affect your reputation?"

"Of course not, why would it? Is it going to be affecting yours?"

"I don't have a reputation like yours that needs to be maintained," Baekhyun affirms earnestly, shrugging his shoulders once and returning to the warmth in Jongin's body. "But yours, it's a different thing. Your grande performance is in a month, the world's gonna be against you dating at this period, don't you think."

"I'm not in a KPOP group or something, hyung," Jongin's clearly amused. "My fans aren't that much younger than I am, for all I know most of them are older than me. And, they aren't entirely girls. Besides, my fans would thank God I've been staying out of the dance room more often now."

"Why?"

"You're half of the reason I resorted to dancing, my passion apart from writing—I had to express it with my body someway somehow, physically blatantly. When it started, I slept in the dance room most days. My fans know that, apparently, even though I've never personally admitted to that in any interview."

"I'm sorry," that I was the rain and now your umbrella.

"Are we late though?" Jongin grins, pulling the glass door open and arms separating for convenience.

Like the speed of a lightning, Baekhyun and Jongin find themselves seated side by side, after being led by a waitress, facing an excited looking Chanyeol and a neutral looking Kyungsoo who looks pretty murderous but Baekhyun chooses not to think that way. How did that even happen? God, why isn't Jongdae here with Minseok?

"Were we late?" Baekhyun breaks the ice after having enough silence.

"No, not at all," Chanyeol waves it away. "I ordered every meat and each of our favorite drinks off the menu, we could call for more if it isn't enough. My treat."

"That's not fair," Baekhyun shakes his head. "At least let me pay for mine and Jongin's."

"When I say it's my treat, then it's mine. Maybe next time!" Chanyeol's voice is much deeper than he last remembered. It's blaring as usual though, something Baekhyun could never forget the sound of. It's not the best thing to hear in the morning. "How did the both of you get here?"

"I drove," Baekhyun chuckles. "This man took a nap in the dance room and practically overslept."

"He called me seventeen times," Jongin adds on with a playful eyeroll and Baekhyun sees Chanyeol's grin widening. He feels a smile appearing on his face soon enough, because having known Chanyeol for years now, he knows the way he disapproves of things and approves of them. Chanyeol approves of Jongin.

Who wouldn't approve of Kim Jongin though?

"What about you guys?" Jongin asks this time, hand searching for Baekhyun's beneath the table and Baekhyun eyes him peripherally, eyes glued on Chanyeol who speaks first. Always.

"We cabbed here since I was too lazy to drive," Chanyeol eyes Kyungsoo who looks a little uneasy, but doesn't speak of it.

"And I came from work," Kyungsoo pauses. "Explains my formal outfit, sigh."

"Ah, must be tiring for you," Baekhyun pulls his lips into a thin, straight line. At least Jongin isn't sitting here, at least Baekhyun saved him from being stuck here. It's worth it, it's worth it. If only Kyungsoo would easen up a little bit. "Where do you work at?"

"His company," Kyungsoo chuckles, shaking his head. "Forced me to, said he had to be able to see me everywhere."

"That's great, actually," Jongin adds on, surprising Baekhyun. Kyungsoo's eyes dart to the side, to Jongin, and Baekhyun looks away but catches another tiny smile on Chanyeol's face on the way.

He's got a lot of explaining to do after dinner, what with the inconspicuous smiles and such.

 

 

After much eating and much speaking, Baekhyun excuses himself to the washroom with Chanyeol following and that's where he grasps onto the opportunity of asking, "Why were you so smiley back there?"

"I'm the happy virus," Chanyeol laughs. "Jongin's a great guy for you though. I like how he also tried to make conversation with Kyungsoo despite their past."

"Ah, so you know," Baekhyun nods, holding his hand out beneath the automatic tap.

"We're getting married, secrets aren't favorable."

"I'm glad we're still friends though," Baekhyun pulls out a fresh tissue from the dispenser. "As we speak, I can only hope Jongin and Kyungsoo are at least talking some things out."

"Trust me, they are," Chanyeol grins. "Kyungsoo's got a lot to say. I bet we could sneak out for a warm cup of coffee to catch up on more things together, and they wouldn't even realize a thing."

Trust Chanyeol to suggest things that trigger his memory; Baekhyun loses completely focus of his aim after washing his hands and he remembers the time the both of them were out for coffee during Winter break before they started dating. Thick jackets, warm coffee, long talks at the corner of a café. Those were great times, even the bad memories made turned good over time.

Baekhyun side eyes Chanyeol before making a move out of the washroom first, and returns to the table slowly so that Kyungsoo and Jongin could take a longer time to speak. Things improved, to say the least. At least Baekhyun sees Kyungsoo talking with shoulders less stiff and rigid, and he's kind of smiling and kind of just talking. Now he wishes he could see Jongin's face to tell if he's still stuck in a shell.

But things have definitely turned better.

He steps forward, rubbing his palms together before sitting back down and Kyungsoo quickly ends off his talk with Jongin with a smile sent at Baekhyun's way.

Jongin weighs to the side and leans against Baekhyun, "Shall we go? We're supposed to go on a date."

"Yeah," Baekhyun resists the urge to just inch his face that tiny bit closer and peck Jongin, so he stares at Jongin for a while to satisfaction before turning to Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. "It was nice meeting you guys again. Please send us your wedding invitation, provided you're getting married here!"

"We are," Kyungsoo smiles. "Then we're having a second ceremony in the States, because Chanyeol wants to have some type of wedding experience in different countries, so whatever."

"Mind you, you're going to get married twice to the same man," Chanyeol gasps dramatically. "At least be half as excited as I am for that!"

Jongin turns and hides his face in Baekhyun's shoulder to hide his laugh. Then, he recoils and rises from the chair. "So, we'll see you guys again."

"Rushing for a date?" Chanyeol smirks.

Baekhyun only gets to wink before he's being pulled towards the exit of the restaurant. He allows it though, he grants Jongin the wish of doing anything he wants with him even though he's not entirely sure why he does. Perhaps it's the guilt of hurting Jongin unintentionally once; the thought of ever loving Jongin; or the sympathy of not remembering things Jongin does of the both of them. Either way, he's certain, even if it's neither, he'll probably still allow it anyway.

 

 

"Of course the idea of a date is your house," Jongin shakes his head, as if saying he should've guessed it earlier as they were playing the guessing game on the way back. 

"It's not entirely my house," Baekhyun drawls, stalling a bit. "But... well, it's in my house. Where do you like going on a date?"

"Theatre... I like going to a theatre to watch a performance or movie about something productive. You, have a theatre at home?" Jongin gapes in awe.

"I don't know, how about you see?"

Yes, Baekhun does have a theatre at home. That's where he plays all the movies he's supposed to produce just to check for details and minor errors. The big screen is always useful, and when he leads Jongin up and into the room, honestly, he's decided that he wants nothing more but to watch Jongin's documentary with the said man right here, lying back against chest. The both of them first, before anyone else. That's his surprise plan.

"I still can't believe you have this," Jongin says, eyes wandering around the room. "Of course you would have actual seats either."

"Behind the movie screen is a stage," Baekhyun keeps his eyes on the movie as it plays though, unlike Jongin who can't seem to focus because of his new discovery. 

"Is the stage big enough to be danced on?"

"I don't know, why don't you wait for the next date?" Baekhyun snickers, but it doesn't last because Jongin turns around with a straight face and sends a pout at his way.

"You're the meanest, you know."