Nine

Earned It
 

Something's a little off.

Baekhyun notices every thing that seems wrong but he doesn't mention a single thing nor speak indirectly to imply on what he wants to point out because if it's a little too personal for Baekhyun, despite their current relationship status, to know then he won't even ask. After all, he knows of himself as someone who never questions out of concern and curiosity; instead, counts on people to find him to sharearrow-10x10.png their troubles with because he's always willing to lend a listening ear.

It started the moment Jongin got back last night. He'd obviously taken a shower in one of the guest rooms' bathroom because the strong scent of shampoo had filled his nostrils as he crawled towards Baekhyun and unfolded his crossed arms just so he could snuggle close but, that wasn't the beginning of what started feeling wrong.

It's the moment Jongin started trembling in his arms and then, they're shaking violently and it seems as if he isn't aware of the fact that Baekhyun's awake—been awake the whole time—because he's sobbing like he knows the older of the two isn't going to be awakened by the sounds of suppressed sobs leaving his mouth and Baekhyun vaguely remembers the ache in his chest because he was on the verge of drifting to sleep.

He only realizes Jongin's been crying when he wakes up to an empty, cold space next to him and starts fixing the pieces together: tears and puffy eyes coming from the said boy. It can be ignored although it won't—but when Jongin doesn't kiss Baekhyun when he greets him or so much as send a smile at his way, it encourages Baekhyun to shoot him the question he's been dying to know the answer of after breakfast.

"What happened?"

Jongin stiffens so conspicuously that Baekhyun literally feels pain when he notices it. But then there's a shift of expressions Jongin's face and before Baekhyun's brain could registerarrow-10x10.png the happenings, Jongin spins around and wraps his long arms around Baekhyun's neck, stepping closer. Still, he doesn't say a word but from the way his chest is rising, bumping against Baekhyun's slightly and then falling—it isn't difficult sensing tears following up.

As warm as it is a day to be hugging like this, Baekhyun doesn't care because it isn't affecting either of them.

"Hyung..." Jongin mumbles softly, and Baekhyun doesn't miss the hint of guilt, something he doesn't often listhat seemingly builds up as he drawls on the word. "I'm sorry."

Perplexed, Baekhyun gently rubs Jongin's back as he asks, "What are you sorry for, baby?" 

"Last night... Last night something happened."

"Let me guess," Baekhyun jokes, attempting to lighten up the mood. "You tripped in front of fans?"

It miserably fails when Jongin doesn't laugh, on the contrary, begins taking heavier breaths as if he's on the verge of crying already, but he's only holding them back. He rests a little bit more of his weight against Baekhyun and nuzzles his face that much deeper in the crook of Baekhyun's neck.

"That's not it."

"So what is?" Baekhyun's losing his patience but in order to get Jongin to speak, he's going to have to do a lot better than lose his at this moment. "You're scaring me a little here."

"Taemin kissed me," Jongin whispers, barely above inaudible but loud enough for Baekhyun to decipher his words and it takes a while for them to absorbed, eventually understood. 

You've got to be kidding me, Baekhyun bites on his tongue to refrain from speaking, just in case he accidentally blurts it because he knows his mouth has a mind of its own whenever he's upset. Glaring at the wall he's facing, he narrows his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I swear on my life, I didn't kiss him back. I wasn't even expecting him to do it. I didn't think he'd actually do something like this because he knows about us and I—"

"He knows about us, yet, he kissed you anyway," Baekhyun repeats in clarification. He doesn't realize his hands are clenched tightly into fists until they begin trembling at the amount of force exerted and he's forced to release the mustered strength.

And then his mind jumps to last night, where Jongin was crying and he pulls back just enough to look at a teary eyed baby. "Is that why you were crying last night? Because Taemin kissed you?"

"I was mainly worried that you would get mad at me if I told you about it... I didn't know how. I didn't want to kiss you because I feared that you'd feel disgusted by me after learning about it."

Baekhyun lifts his hands to cup Jongin's jaws gently, coaxing him down slightly due to their height difference. Jongin blinks, keeps blinking to contain the tears that have evidently welled up in his eyes. "You didn't do anything wrong, are you listening to me? It's not your fault. I would never blame you."

"But I—"

Baekhyun pushes himself onto the tip of his toes and slants his lips against Jongin's, planting a big, fat kiss on the lips and he doesn't wish to pull back... but he still does, anyway.

"I am not mad at you," Baekhyun repeats slowly and firmly, for the last time and Jongin's eyes light up a little bit. "I can't be mad at you. Never can be."

"I'll speak to him, I promise," Jongin's hunches forward and slouches his shoulders , face falling once again.

"I don't think that's a good idea," Baekhyun fights the urge to narrow his eyes into slits. "I'll do the talking, okay?"

When Jongin reluctantly nods, Baekhyun chooses to think positively, averting the subject because why start of the day with something as ing infuriating as this, right? He slides his hands skillfully into the pockets on the back of Jongin's pants and nuzzles his face deeply into the same man's neck. He inhales.

"Let's have breakfast before I decide to eat you up instead," Baekhyun grins, brushing his lips lightly across his boyfriend's neck. 

 


 

"Oh no he didn't," Jongdae's fingers curl swiftly into a fist, both of them actually, resting on top of his lap. "I'm going to murder Lee Taemin."

"You can't," Baekhyun runs his fingers into his hair. "That's Jongin's best friend, Jongdae. Which is exactly why I've invited him down for a little talk—which is exactly why you shouldn't be here but I've somehow expected you anyway."

"I bring life into your life, Byun Baekhyun. You never had one until I set you and Jongin up," with a wink, Jongdae grins. "Back to the serious matter, may I stay to chatarrow-10x10.png, too?"

"....unless you stay behind my desk. I wasn't even supposed to tell you because Jongin feels ashamed for letting this happe—"

"Hyung, Taemin is here," Sehun's voice shocked Baekhyun for a second. "Two minutes."

"The dongsaeng knows best," Baekhyun claps his hands once as he rises from the chair, with Jongdae doing the same. "Out the door, Jongdae ah."

"Please! Please, please, let me stay!" He begs, and time is ticking which stresses Baekhyun. Without a choice, Baekhyun eyes his desk pointedly and thankfully, Jongdae's smart enough to comprehend the hint himself as he takes off, literally, to the back.

Baekhyun doesn't even have enough time to take his seat before Taemin opens the door the same time he knocks, which annoys Baekhyun. He can't stand people who don't knock before stepping in—and also the ones who can't seem to understand right from wrong.

Taemin doesn't ask, apparently he never really does anyway as he sits down on one of the leather chairs even before Baekhyun does. "Hey, hyung. Long time no see, how's it going?"

"Things have been great but you should grow some manners before you get yourself into trouble," Baekhyun chuckles, slipping a hint of bitterness into his words as he crosses his legs. "So spill."

"Spill?" Taemin lets out a laugh, but he doesn't sound confused. "What?" 

"It surprises me that I have to go into detail," Baekhyun fakes a gasp, in return causing Taemin to laugh once again. But what's so funny, honestly? "Why'd you kiss Jongin last night?"

"I did?" Taemin gasps. "I can't recall, sorry."

Now it's Baekhyun's turn to laugh. He knew he did the right thing choosing to speak to Taemin himself. "Dongsaeng ah, there's absolutely no point pulling the dumb card right now. We're alone so you may as well just man up."

"I kissed him," Taemin nods. "And?"

"Do you know how bad he felt because of that? He cried because he thought I'd get mad at him—"

"Good, did you get mad at him?"

"Nope," Baekhyun grins. "But thanks to you, we had a fantastic night of fun to make up for the hurt you caused him."

Taemin's jaw clicks as he grits his teeth together, "I'm glad you had fun, then."

Baekhyun's smile, unlike Taemin's faltering one, remains displayed on his face. If only Taemin was capable of hiding his emotions better... how much easier is he going to make this?

"Ah. You like my boyfriend, don't you?"

"I'm done playing," Taemin pauses, brows furrowing to form a crease between them. He rises from the seat. "I'm sure this was what you wanted to know. Now that you've gotten the answer, I'll get going."

"You—"

"But never forget that you were the one who'd made him cry for years because you left him and you forgot all about him," Taemin spits. "I'm not going to give up on him this easily, not even when you're back again—just a tiny note to remember."

On that note, Taemin leaves Baekhyun's office but he doesn't shut the door behind him, leaving the job to Sehun as he warily reaches for the knob and as quietly as possible, closes it.

"Son of a !" Jongdae screeches from behind, and although Baekhyun's affected by his tone, he shows no sign of impact because Taemin's words have left speechless and confused. "I'm going to murder him when I see him again. Tomorrow!"

"Actually," Baekhyun begins quietly, feeling defeated for several reasons he hasn't deciphered at the moment. "Sometimes I think Jongin deserves better, and Taemin reminds me of that. Except, Jongin definitely doesn't deserve that ."

"Wae, wae~" Jongdae raises his voice, coming closer to clutch Baekhyun's shoulders tightly. "Baekhyun ah, don't think this way, it's too late to think this way—"

The mentioned man raises a finger in front of Jongdae's face, but refuses to look at him in the eyes. "But just think about it... Jongin's extremely talented and he's still kinda young and he has a bright future ahead of him and he needs beautiful, nice noonas who can care for him properly. I'm like... an ugly piece of with him. Fat, and ugly. Even Taemin looks undeniably better than I do, wow."

"Yah! Byun Baekhyun!" Jongdae might be screaming, but Baekhyun's been deafened by his thoughts to care about his volume. "You er! I didn't set you and Jongin up for nothing!"

"I—"

"First of all, you can't change someone's ual orientation much less Jongin's. Second of all, if he deserves better, then you're obviously the better that he deserves if he still wants you after all these years! Third of all, if Yoo In-Na sunbaenim could like you—obviously you're not ugly. I doubt her taste in men that badly. You're so cute, noisy but hot with the greatest voice and you're a super well known director—I ten-ten would bang if I didn't go for ladies."

"You're obligated to say that as my best friend," Baekhyun doesn't even slouch anymore, he remains sitting upright. "I don't know. I don't want to think about it anymore even if it doesn't resolve anything. Let's pretend today never happened."

"The denial is back," Jongdae sighs. "Okay. But it's going to come right back and haunt you, Baek. You deserve the best... and you most definitely deserve Jongin, like he deserves you. Believe me."

"Okay," Baekhyun doesn't believe him. But in order to get Jongdae to stop talking, lying is the only way out. He's sure Jongdae's unconvinced though.

"I'll see you later!"

"Oh but you, Baekhyun-ssi," Minseok enters right before Jongdae could leave and he's wearing the most serious expression Baekhyun's ever seen. "You see me now. Without Jongin, because I've just seen him."

"Um," Jongdae wiggles his fingers. "Hey, Umin hyung."

"Bye Jongdae," Minseok greets, and then he shuts the door in the mentioned man's face. "Let's get down to business, Baek."

 

 


 

 

It's about eight in the evening when a figure dashes into the studio behind Jongin but he easily disregards them because practice matters more.

"Jongin! Kim Jongin!"

Jongdae switches off the main switch, as a result ending the music with a snap. Jongin twirls around to face the older man with a scowl—he hasn't even had the chance to change his moods.

"ing hell, hyung. Please. You can't do this when I'm practicing—"

"It's about Baekhyun. If you wanna pull that attitude card right now, I'll just leave and never tell y—"

Jongin's mouth dries as he interjects with a, "Spill."

Scrambling, Jongdae scurries towards where Jongin stays still and the phone in his hand doesn't go unnoticed by the latter. Jongdae's poking on his phone.

"God forbid Baekhyun knowing about my doings," Jongdae mutters lowly but clearly. His attention is kept firm on his phone. "I'm not supposed to say a word but Taemin met up with your boyfriend just four hours ago. And I realized something... I had been recording their conversation for back up proof but, I'd completely forgotten about stopping it even when I was just speaking to Baekhyun."

"Jongdae hyung," Jongin begins slowly. "You're speaking too fast..."

Jongdae groans. "Taemin met up with Baekhyun. I recorded their conversation. I forgot to end it when Taemin left. This audio includes the main point of why I'm here, which is my conversation with Baekhyun. Get it?"

Jongin nods numbly, "Yes."

"Okay listen."

Then there's a clicking sound, before muffled noises.

"Hey, hyung. Long time no see, how's it going?"

"Things have been great but you should grow some manners before you get yourself into trouble."—pause—"So spill."

"Spill? What?"

"It surprises me that I have to go into detail; why'd you kiss Jongin last night?"

"I did? I don't recall, sorry."

Baekhyun's bitter laugh makes the hair on Jongin's arms rise. What is Taemin doing...

"Dongsaeng ah, there's absolutely no point pulling the dumb card right now. We're alone so you may as well just man up."

"I kissed him. And?"

"Do you know how bad he felt because of that? He cried because he thought I'd get mad at him—"

"Good, did you get mad at him?"

Jongin's jaw falls.

"Nope! But thanks to you, we had a fantastic night of fun to make up for the hurt you caused him."

"I'm glad you had fun, then."

Jongin gulps.

"Ah. You like my boyfriend, don't you?"

"I'm done playing. I'm sure this was what you wanted to know. Now that you've gotten the answer, I'll get going."

"Oh my god," Jongin coughs.

"You—"

"But never forget that you were the one who'd made him cry for years because you left him and you forgot all about him. I'm not going to give up on him this easily, not even when you're back again—just a tiny note to remember."

"Son of a ! I'm going to murder him when I see him again. Tomorrow!"

Jongin looks at Jongdae for a second, who has seemingly collapsed on the studio floor with his limbs sprawled out. And his attention returns to the audio.

"Actually, sometimes I think Jongin deserves better, and Taemin reminds me of that. Except, Jongin definitely doesn't deserve that ."

"I deserve better?" Jongin foreignly repeats.

"Wae, wae! Baekhyun ah, don't think this way, it's too late to think this way—"

"But just think about it... Jongin's extremely talented and he's still kinda young and he has a bright future ahead of him and he needs beautiful, nice noonas who can care for him properly. I'm just... an ugly piece of next to him. Fat, and ugly. Even Taemin looks undeniably better than I do, wow."

What...

"Yah! Byun Baekhyun! You er! I didn't set you and Jongin up for nothing!"

"I—"

"First of all, you can't change someone's ual orientation much less Jongin's. Second of all, if he deserves better, then you're obviously the better that he deserves if he still wants you after all these years! Third of all, if Yoo In-Na sunbaenim could like you—obviously you're not ugly. I doubt her taste in men that badly. You're so cute, noisy but hot with the greatest voice and you're a super well known director—I ten-ten would bang if I didn't go for ladies."

"You're obligated to say that as my best friend... I don't know. I don't want to think about it anymore even if it doesn't resolve anything. Let's pretend today never happened."

"Den—"

Jongdae hastily exits the application on his phone and shoves it into his pocket, his gaze boring straight into Jongin's. "Taemin ed up big time."

"Does Baekhyun really think he's ugly?" Jongin mumbles absentmindedly as Baekhyun's words replay over and over again in his head; one hand moving up to clutch at his heart unknowingly. "Does he really think I deserve better?"

" me! I thought you'd be able to handle this well but clearly not, now," Jongdae blabbers noisily but not affecting Jongin at all because does Baekhyun really think so lowly of himself?

Jongin is in utter disbelief.

But he has an idea and just thinking of this makes his heart race because is it too early? The movie premiere is tomorrow, would they be too exhausted for other plans? Would Baekhyun mind it? Hate it? Jongin finds himself having trouble breathing when he draws in a deep breath as an attempt to calm his growing nerves. But he's been thinking for a long time, almost craving it and if Baekhyun needs reassurance... isn't this the best time to show him?

"Okay," Jongin heaves. "Thanks for telling me, hyung. I think I know what to do now."

"What are you going to do..." Jongdae questions hesitantly, a pool of concern whirling in his eyes.

I'm going to make love to him tomorrow night, after the celebrations and everything, Jongin almost says aloud, but isn't that a little too personal? He sticks with, "I'm going to make plans with him and we'll have as much fun as possible."

A look of relief flashes over Jongdae's face as he stands up, brushing off the dirt on his pants. "That's nice to know. Do you need a lift home?"

"If by home you mean Baekhyun hyung's place then conveniently, yes."

"Gaja!"

 

The ride to Baekhyun's place wasn't that long—at least it wasn't to Jongin because he's fallen asleep five minutes into the journey. Jongdae had been nice enough to tune down the radio either even though the radio station had chosen tonight, especially, to play all of his favorite songs.

Jongin awoke just ten minutes before reaching Baekhyun's, and he'd requested to drop by the popular Chinese restaurant nearby to get takeaways of dim sum; the ones he knows Baekhyun favors and his own favorites because he's starving.

It's only ten o'clock anyway.

Jongin unlocks the main door easily and steps in with a handful of bags consisting food, and he doesn't notice Baekhyun in front of him until the latter speaks up, making Jongin stumble backwards in surprise.

"Why'd you come?" Baekhyun asks, and he sounds a little bit different but Jongin shrugs it off. "It's late and you've got a long day tomorrow, remember?"

Maybe he's just being paranoid... Jongin's always paranoid. During down times.

His fingers fumble with the buttons of his shirt and pops the first two open after he sets the food boxes on the table, stepping closer to Baekhyun.

"Can't I come?"

"You're always welcome," Baekhyun smiles softly. "You know that."

Jongin yearns to pull Baekhyun into a hug but instead of doing so, he chooses to take a moment out to admire Baekhyun. For the first time in forever, his eyes run down Baekhyun's figure, taking in the sight of him wearing an old oversized shirt and blue boxers with clean, tousled hair, holding a mug in his hand and is Jongin reading a book or is this real life?

Jongin takes another step closer and extends his arms; hands plastering onto Baekhyun's hips to draw him into his body but Baekhyun isn't resisting and thank God he isn't because what if he does?

Maybe Jongin would cry. Maybe. Just break down crying right here, in front of Baekhyun.

"Baby," Baekhyun brings a hand up to run his fingers over Jongin's cheek in a gentle caress. "Are you okay?"

Jongin inclines against the edge of the dining table and tugs Baekhyun closer, his arm shifting up to curl around the latter's waist, tightening. "I'm fine. Just nervous for tomorrow. You've got a long day, too, you know? With me."

"I, on the other hand, have gotten used to all of these premieres. You haven't," Baekhyun reaches behind to place his mug on the table and conveniently, he pushes himself higher to give Jongin a kiss and it's only right to say that Jongin, has momentarily forgotten how to actually breathe normally. "Have you taken dinner?"

"Nope. That's why I brought takeaway back," Jongin grins sheepishly. "Share with me?"

"Nah thanks," Baekhyun leans forward and hides his face in Jongin's shoulder. "Gotta keep my weight in check. Probably going on a diet soon."

Jongin's heart wrenches painfully in his chest. "On the contrary, you're actually losing a lot of weight, hyung. Your honey thighs and broad pelvis are losing its shapes—I remember the seniors in school used to comment on it."

Baekhyun lets out a laugh. "And then I would always my hips right in front of them, how could I forget? I also remember the time you kicked slapped someone in the face because you heard them calling me a freak."

Pink colors Jongin's cheeks. Was bringing that up necessary? "It was a reflex."

"Okay, it's a reflex," Baekhyun mimics. "Frankly if I think back, I think you've long already made your feelings towards me known—perhaps I've been too oblivious."

"You bet your cute you were oblivious," Jongin rolls his eyes.

But when Baekhyun laughs again, Jongin loses the will in him to laugh along as he feels his body stilling on the spot; his heart picking up on its pace. "Wait, hyung... If... You talked about, me punching that guy— do you remember something new?"

Jongin can't even contain the burst of joy in his chest; eyes looking so hopeful he feels his heart reaching an explosion—and even it's only just another memory... it's of Jongin!

Baekhyun blinks. "Oh, I—no, I haven't... It's just always been in my head... It never left."

And there goes the joy and hope and everything there is to be happy about. Jongin's bubble just popped. Just like that. There are a little bit of tears welling in his eyes, but he blinks them away because they aren't allowed to fall.

"Anyway," Jongin releases his hold around Baekhyun and slides out of his spot, turning around to open the food boxes. "I'm starving, we should eat."

"Jongin," Baekhyun begins quietly, and Jongin's tempted to turn around and shut him up because he knows what's coming and he doesn't want to hear it again. "I just want you to know—"

"Just don't, hyung," he mutters. "I don't want to hear anymore apologies. Just save it for the time you actually remember something."

Inaudibly, Baekhyun lets out an okay.