Mother Hens

Finding Home

          "I don't know... are you absolutely positive that you'll be warm enough?" Xiumin asked as he smoothed down Lay's jacket. Lay could hardly feel the gentle touches beneath the four sweaters and three scarves that Xiumin had insisted he wear, but still he felt butterflies.

          "I'm positive," Lay replied. Xiumin raised an eyebrow at him in mild disbelief.

          "Are you sure you're sure?"

          "Yes, I'm sure."

          "Okay, but are you sure you're sure you're s-"

          "Yes! He is! Good God make it stop," Chen interrupted desperately.

          "And how would you know?" Xiumin asked, laughing.

          "Trust me. I am his best friend, kapeesh? I have seen this freak eat double his weight of ice cream in the dead of winter. He can handle the cold to the point that it would put Captain America to shame, believe me. So Mother Hen, cool it. Literally. I can feel the heat radiating off of his body right now, and the color of his cheeks says plenty already," Chen concluded, going over to Lay to pinch his cheek as if to prove his point further. As he raised his hand, Lay growled at him. Chen jumped in fear and surprise, stumbling backwards. The others laughed at the reaction. He bumped into someone and his eyes widened when he realized who that would be.

          "Sorry Suho!" But Suho was doubled over in pain. Oh no, I killed him. Chen panicked. But then Suho stood back up. Don't be dead, if he's not dead I'll never bump into anyone ever again! I won't even walk backwards! Sorry Michael Jackson. The moonwalk is dead anyway. Just don't let Suho be dead too! When Suho lifted his head Chen saw that he had just been laughing really hard at Chen's mistake. His eyes had turned to crescents and his smile lit up his face brighter than the Christmas tree just behind him. Chen huffed and turned away, "Pft, traitor."

          "You'll really be warm enough?" Xiumin asked softly, eyebrows pulled together in concern as he looked up at Lay.

          "Yeah. Jeez, stop worrying mom," Lay joked. Xiumin flushed and Lay chuckled as he looked down at the adorable boy.

          "Oh, well, if you insist," Xiumin scoffed before heading out the front door, soon followed by the other three.

          "Hey! Lay! Wait up!" Chen called, jogging to catch up. He reached him, pausing for air, "Oh man, I'm in bad shape. But that was pretty funny back there. Looks like I'm rubbing off on you, nicely done. Oh and thanks for growling at me, that was so sweet."

          Lay smiled, "You were being rude to Xiumin. I know you're just cranky that we can't stay for dinner but he made you hot chocolate! Show some respect dude, go easy on him."

          "But I'm a bad , and bad es don't play nice."

          "You seemed to be hitting it off pretty well with Suho," Xiumin pointed out from the other side of Lay.

          "I just I, I.." Chen stammered, not being able to find his words.

          Lay gasped, "Do my eyes deceive me?? Is Chen flustered right now???"

          "Oh hell no. Bad es don't get flustered, either," Chen quickly defended himself.

          "HEY GUYS! Wait for mee!" Suho called, running to catch up. Chen was greatful for the topic change.

          "I will be with my man," Chen said, winking at Lay before turning and walking towards Suho. Lay snorted and shared a look with Xiumin.

          Suho looked up at Chen as he ran towards him. Big mistake. 

          "Ooof!" Suho cried out, taking in a sharp breath as he slipped on a patch of ice, falling flat on his back.

          "ARE YOU OKAY?" Chen shouted, "OH MY GOD! SUHO LOOK AT ME, CAN YOU HEAR MY VOICE??" He rushed over and crouched beside Suho's body, "SUHO HOW MANY FINGERS AM I HOLDING UP?"

          Suho laughed and swatted Chen away, "I'm fiiine." He sat up on the ground, face contorting in pain and letting out a whimpered, "Owww" as he rubbed at his back. Chen's heart shattered at the sound and he offered a hand.

          Chen helped him to his feet before his eyes went wide and he looked at Suho, fear evident in his gaze. "Uh, Chen?" Chen took a step closer and Suho's eyebrows raised, "Chen, w-what's wrong?" he stammered, feeling the flush creep up his neck and staring at the ground. Chen shushed him, placing a finger under Suho's chin to gently raise his head until he could look into his eyes again. Suho gulped. 

          "I'm so sorry," Chen whispered, "it was only a matter of time."

          "W-what was?"

          "It was only a matter of time until you fell for me," Chen said softly, before dissolving into laughter at the clever joke.

          "Shut up!" Suho snapped, face bright red. Chen only continued to laugh louder and Suho whacked his arm with a smile as the two went on walking.

          "Hey," Lay said quietly, looking over at Xiumin, "what about you, you okay?"

          Xiumin relaxed as he saw Suho get up and walk with Chen. He's fine. Xiumin let out a breath he didn't realize he had been holding, "Yeah, I'm okay. I'm just really protective, and my best friend happens to be the biggest klutz on the face of the earth. I'm sorry."

          "Hey now. Don't be sorry. Never apologize for who you are. You're such a kind person, please don't forget to be kind to yourself." Lay smiled and Xiumin was wearing that crooked grin again.

          "Thank you, so much." They continued walking, following the other pair.

          "Anytime at all," Lay said, and he really meant it, "Plus, Christmas is right around the corner. Maybe it's high time you get Suho LifeAlert."

          "You know, that's not such a bad idea..." Xiumin mused, and the two laughed, side by side.

          A comfortable silence fell over the group of friends, and the walk was over quickly.

          As they opened the door to the orphanage though, Lay flipped out.

          "Chen. Chen the lights are off, Chen. Chen do you realize WHAT THIS MEANS? CHEN!"

          "Oh, whoops, did we enter the void?" Chen replied dryly. Suho giggled.

          "CHEN WE DIDN'T GET BACK BEFORE LIGHTS OUT WE HAVE TO GO TO BED NOW!" Lay began pacing in the hallway just inside the door.

          "Boy if you say my name one more time... Lay, calm down. I need my eardrums, y'know, for hearing. I would appreciate if you wouldn't, y'know, make them explode," Chen said.

          Lay clamped a hand over his mouth, eyes wide as he realized he might have waken up some of the children. "Sooorrrrrrryyyy," he whispered, lowering his hand, "But Chen we have to go to bed."

          "Okay, so give Xiumin back his clothes first." Lay gave Chen a blank look. His eye twitched. Then he remembered that Xiumin was right there and had seen Lay flipping the out. Great. Lay's breathing started to come quicker as the anxiety began to mix with embarrassment.

          "Uh, is he supposed to be breathing like that?" Suho whispered.

          "I can't even tell if he's really breathing." Chen uttered before turning back to Lay, "Okay, scratch that, deep breath. Come on, you can do it. In, and out. There isn't that better?" Lay looked much calmer as his chest began to rise and fall at more regular intervals, "Okay, now give the clothes back to Xiumin."

          Lay fumbled with the coat zipper, unable to do it with all the gloves on. "Chen, strip me."

          "Uh, no thanks."

          Suho practically guffawed and Xiumin stepped forward, "Here, let me," his fingers were quick and delicate, undoing the zippers and buttons of all of the sweaters in a matter of seconds, making Lay blush.

          "Oh jeez," Chen said, turning to Suho to place a hand in front of his eyes and protect his innocence, "Give em some privacy. We can leave the two of you alone now if that's what you want."

          Xiumin scoffed, "Yeah, okay Chen. I could definitely seduce him like this. What am I supposed to say? 'Damn boy, so many layers... you like a y onion'?"

          Lay looked down at him, blinking slowly. Xiumin raised his eyes and then they were laughing.

          Too soon, it was time for Xiumin and Suho to head out. Xiumin took the pile of sweaters and scarves in his arms, looking tiny as he peered out over the top. Lay giggled.

          "I'll see you again, right?" Suho said, there was a loneliness to his voice.

          "I'll be seeing you later," Chen said, Suho looked at him in confusion and Chen placed a hand on Suho's arm, "In your dreams." He finished with a wink. 

          "But really, though, will I see you again?" Suho persisted.

          "Of course," Lay cut in, before Chen could say something else facepalm-worthy.

          "Good," Xiumin added, "Cause you still haven't had my mom's cooking."

          "I'd love to. Next time," Lay agreed.

          "Okay," Xiumin said quietly, smiling to himself as he waddled out the door with all the coats, Suho following and sneaking glances at Chen, "Till next time then."

          "Bye!" Lay called to the two retreating boys, Xiumin turned to wave, dropping some jackets in the process. Lay chuckled.

          "Get home safe!" Chen called jokingly, and Lay hit his arm, Chen laughed, "Don't be so rude, I just figured out who to get you for Christmas." Chen wiggled his eyebrows, and Lay rolled his eyes. He had learned (the hard way) that it was far easier to not deny it when Chen finds out something true.

          Back up in their room, Chen got changed and brushed his teeth in a rush, passing out quickly. Lay looked over at the sleeping boy from his bed, able to make out the outline of his face from the streetlight outside. He padded softly over to the window and leaned against the glass, looking out.

           It was silent, save for the wind howling and the snow crunching occasionally. He could hear cars humming by in the distance, but none came down this street. It was peaceful, pure white cushioning the darkness that was once there and turning it into a soft land of purity and clarity. No fear. No mystery. Just comfort and serenity as the snowflakes still dancing down joined those that had fallen long ago with a hushed whisper of a thud, softer than a lullaby.

          Lay could make out the silhouettes of the two boys in the house opposite his own. 

          "Till next time," he said, voice barely above a breath, to no one in particular. He turned to straighten the blankets on Chen's bed. It really is cold out, he thought, fighting back a yawn as he tugged up Chen's quilts to his chin. Then he tiptoed gently on the creaky floorboards back to his own bed, climbing beneath the covers and quickly falling asleep, clutching the hamster stuffed animal he had had since he was a boy to his chest.

 

 

 

Author's note: hahah that hamster sybolism though *cough cough* its cause people joke that xiumin looks like a hamster *coUGH*. SOOOOO sorry i didn't update sooner. my sister is in town this month so it's been rough to find the time and i had my draft READY TO GO LIKE TWO DAYS AGO BUT THIS JACKED UP NEW COMPUTER DELETED IT AND URRRG. struggles. sooo many man. so yeah this chapter was pointless lol don't hate me okay? i somehow have 21 subscribers right now. i have 21 reasons to not get out of the bed in the morning and continue working on this and i'll be damned if i don't hang on to those. it will get better and more intricate i swears it :))) AND I WILL UPDATE SOONER THIS TIME! if i haven't updated in two weeks feel free to get in my face. i am a lazy person but i will dO THIS OKAY?? NO ROCKY MONTAGE NECESSARY!

HOPE YOU HAD A HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! till next time (hAH) know that i love you and you're powerful and incredible <3 subscribe i guess? do what makes you happy lol :)