Baby It's Cold Outside

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjae reached out for her phone as she felt to vibrate at her side. She had been browsing Netflix on her laptop as it went off, disappointed at the interruption. Unlocking it, she couldn't help the grin that decorated her face as she saw it was a text from Junhoe. Opening it up, she saw that it read:

Come to your window.

She raised her eyebrow, checking the time on her phone. It was 1:15am, which wasn't anywhere near the time she usually went to sleep but still kind of late. Trying not to smile, she replied:

Why?

His response was quick – which was out of the ordinary as he usually took about five minutes to respond to anything. She didn't know what he was always doing but he was apparently a really busy guy.

Just do it -_-

Minjae giggled slightly as she shut her laptop, hopping from her bed. Walking quickly, she moved the curtain – not surprised as she saw Junhoe stood on her front porch but completely shocked to see the thick layer of snow coating it. He was dressed in warm clothes, wearing the jeans that Donghyuk had bought for him, a dark sweater, a black coat and a pair of boots. He was decked out in the full winter wear, with a scarf, hat and gloves on; which was necessary as her porch was completely covered in snow.

Opening her window, she called out, "Isn't this a bit cliché?"

From her position high up, it was hard to see him – especially in the dark but she knew for a fact that he'd rolled his eyes at her comment. "Most girls would appreciate this romantic gesture."

"Well if you were going to do this, you might as well have gone all out," she replied.

He raised his eyebrows as if to ask for tips on improvement.

Grinning, she added, "You know, going old school and throwing pebbles."

Junhoe smiled in amusement, "With this snow?"

"It would have been in the name of romance!" she teased, "What are you doing here anyway?"

"I dunno," he shrugged nonchalantly, "I was going for a walk and I thought I'd just pass by."

"At quarter past one?" she questioned in disbelief.

Junhoe huffed in frustration, scowling as he added, "I guess I wanted to see you."

Her grin turned smug as she responded, "Well, here I am."

He rolled his eyes at her, saying, "And show you something. Come on."

"But baby it's cold outside," she sang, a pout decorating her face.

Junhoe gave her a look that showed he was completely unimpressed, still seeming immune to her aegyo. "Just come on," he sighed. She pulled a face at him before disappearing back into her room. She wanted to leave an air of mystery as to whether she'd come out or not but she knew that he would assume she was coming – he was Junhoe after all.

Minjae was gladder than ever that she wore her hair in a braid at home because it meant that she didn't have to worry about it. Scouring her room, she quickly changed out of her pyjamas. She put on some black jeans, a comfy knit sweater and some thick socks – knowing she'd need more to be warm. Huffing, she searched for her winter coat, finding it and throwing it on before beginning the search for her scarf, gloves and a hat. She found those faster than expected, grabbing her phone from her desk and tiptoeing down the stairs. Her parents were asleep and she wasn't sure about Bobby but knowing him, he was probably still awake somewhere.

Looking at all the shoes on the shoe rack, she grabbed her wellies, pulling them on as quickly as she could. Finally ready, she headed for the door, disappointed and surprised at the lack of keys. Minjae couldn't think of where they'd disappeared to as they kept them near the door so that everybody knew where they were and that they could unlock it easily.

"Looking for these?" she heard come from behind her. Her ears pricked up as she slowly turned, somehow not surprised to see her brother holding the keys mockingly. Minjae knew he wanted something as he was grinning at her mischievously.

"Name your price," Minjae sighed.

"For my silence about this or for the keys?" he raised his eyebrows.

"Both."

Bobby put his finger to his chin, humming in thought. "Hmmm, how about you do my chores for two months?"

Minjae scoffed, "Three weeks."

Her brother narrowed his eyes in challenge, "Six weeks and you have to empty out the litter box in those weeks."

"Four weeks and I empty out the litter box for two of them."

"It feels like you don't want these keys, little sis," Bobby raised his eyebrows.

Minjae clenched her jaw, conscious of the fact that Junhoe was waiting for her and it was cold outside. Sighing, she gave in, "Fine, five weeks and I empty out the box for three of them."

Bobby considered her compromise; taking so long that for a moment, Minjae was worried he may want more. At this point in time, I'd be willing to give him a kidney, she thought as she eyed him cautiously. To her relief, he shrugged in agreement, throwing the keys at her. "Pleasure doing business with you, don't stay out too late," he told her before disappearing up the stairs.

Feeling victorious about being able to gain the keys, she quickly unlocked the front door, stepping out into the snow. She pocketed the keys, shutting the door behind her as she spotted Junhoe. He was pacing in the snow, glancing at her window nervously. His steps made a crunching noise as he moved.

"Romeo, Romeo, where art thou Romeo?" Minjae grinned.

He halted his pacing, looking up at her in relief. Rolling his eyes – probably trying to hide his obvious relief – he replied, "You're supposed to say that at the window."

"I can go back if you want?" she joked, laughing at the face he pulled in return. "You thought I wasn't coming," she stated.

Junhoe scoffed, "Please, I knew you were coming. I mean, why wouldn't you come?"

Minjae approached him, knocking his shoulder gently with her own as she smirked, "Careful Junhoe, I can see behind your angsty teen mask."

He scowled down at her, "Just come on." Junhoe speeded ahead, footsteps crunching in the snow. Minjae hadn't been expecting him to speed off, doing her best to catch up. He must have realised that he was going too fast as he casually slowed, falling into line with her. From the corner of her eye, Minjae could see him looking at her.

Resisting the urge to flush and smile smugly, she asked, "How long was it snowing?" Her words formed clouds in front of her, reminding her of just how cold it was.

"A few hours," Junhoe replied, "It was really heavy for ages and then it just stopped."

"I never even noticed," Minjae shook her head at herself.

Junhoe chuckled slightly from her side, "How am I not surprised?"

"Where are we even going?" she questioned.

There was a moment of pause, Minjae suddenly conscious of the fact that her hand kept brushing against his. Both their hands were gloved but it still made her feel butterflies, tempted to reach for his hand. Something told her that he wasn't the hand holding type, stopping her from doing so. "It's a surprise," he finally said.

Junhoe made her feel nervous, the good type of nervous. The type of nervous that made her feel like she could float away at any moment. It made her feel like she needed something to hold on to, to keep her grounded.

Like his hand.

"I hate surprises," Minjae muttered.

"Tough," Junhoe grinned at her. Even though she didn't want to, Minjae couldn't stop the smile that spread on her face as he smiled at her. All he had to do was smile at her and she was butter in his hands. They walked in silence for a little while; the streets mostly empty apart from them. The only lights were the streetlights but because of the snow, it was really light out – the sky a beautiful purple shade.

Minjae held back a gasp of surprise as she felt Junhoe's hand wrap around hers. Biting her lip, she interlocked her fingers with his, briefly glancing down at their intertwined hands. Looking back up, she eyed Junhoe from the corner of her eye, noticing that he was looking away casually, as if he hadn’t just joined their hands. His cheeks were dusted a slight pink, revealing his embarrassment. She couldn't help but notice just how cute he looked.

Minjae didn't have to be told by Junhoe when they reached his surprise as it was completely obvious why he'd bought her along. There was a football field near her house and currently, it was completely blanketed in a thick layer of untouched snow. She halted as they got to the edge of it, just wanting to run across and be the first steps to go on it.

"So, what do you think?" Junhoe asked, when she didn't say anything.

"I think that this might just be better than Netflix," she replied, glancing over the field in front of them. Before Junhoe could reply, she ran out onto the field – her hand still in his and therefore dragging him behind her. The sound of the snow beneath their feet was immensely satisfying for her and she ended up dropping his hand just to run the whole length of the field. Turning around, she saw that he was creating footprints on the other side, back turned to her.

Unable to stop her inner child, she bent down, grabbing a handful of snow and quietly approaching him. Grinning, she called, "Junhoe!"

He turned around, a questioning look on his face. Just as he did, she threw the snowball in her hand, it hitting him directly on the face. Surprised at her own good aim, she covered with her hands, waiting for his response. Junhoe just wiped the snow off his face, an indecipherable look on his face. Minjae held her breath as she waited for him to respond.

"You're going to regret that," he smirked, bending down to grab his own handful of snow. Minjae's eyes widened in fear as she whirled around, running in the opposite direction. There was a sharp hit on her back, causing her to squeal – and just like that, they were having a snowball fight. They threw snowballs back and forth, laughing as they hit one another. Minjae noticed him gathering a huge lump of snow, so she panicked, running away as quickly as she could.

Instead of getting hit in the back with snow like she'd thought would happen, she felt hands wrap around her waist, causing her to lose balance. Both she and Junhoe went toppling, ending up lying in the snow next to each other. It was incredibly cold but neither of them got up. Instead they both just lay there, staring at the stars together.

Minjae was completely aware of Junhoe's presence as her shoulder lined up with his. He shifted slightly, snow rustling beneath him, before suddenly asking, "You're my girlfriend right?"

Her heart was beating hard in her chest.

"Huh?" Minjae momentarily diverted her eyes from the sky to him but she didn't turn her head to stare.

"I'm just confirming."

"You don't seem like the type who needs to confirm things," Minjae grinned at the sky.

"I'm just going to take that as a yes," he replied.

She laughed, rolling her eyes.

"Well, you didn't say no," Junhoe shrugged his shoulders from beside her.

"You're ridiculous," Minjae shook her head.

"Says you."

"Meaning?" she raised her eyebrows, now tilting her head to look at him.

He did the same, meeting her eyes and grinning at her, "Meaning, you do and say some pretty ridiculous stuff."

"Like what?" Minjae replied.

"Like that time you told me that pizza tasted better in your pantry."

Minjae resisted the urge to point out that what he was talking about had only been a few days shy of a week earlier, instead replying, "And yet you agreed."

"I was trying my hardest not to make out with you."

She blushed at his comment, "You failed."

Junhoe laughed, nodding his head, "Yes. Yes I did."

Still smiling, Minjae looked back up at the sky. She really wanted to make a snow angel but she knew from experience that it was not worth the cold that came with it. Still, wanting to do more than lie in the snow, she couldn't stop herself from singing, "Do you wanna build a snowman?" From her side, she heard Junhoe release a deep sigh as if questioning his choices in life – that just made her grin grow larger.

"Please don't," he groaned.

After a small struggle, Minjae was able to sit up looking down at Junhoe with the grin still decorating her face. He just watched her with a look she couldn't decipher. "I'm being serious," she pouted, "Let's build a snowman."

There was a short second where Junhoe eyed her before he pushed himself off the ground, dusting snow off himself. "Fine, just stop pouting," he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter