The Chemistry Between Us

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I hate this," Minjae grumbled as she stacked the drinks in the fridge. It was pretty much full now, but they still had plenty more that she'd have to figure out where to put. Bobby just rolled his eyes as he placed bowls of snacks all around the kitchen. Their parents were away for a week so of course Bobby decided that it was best to throw a party. Minjae had been against it – and still slightly was – but after Bobby explained that she'd probably get in trouble even as an innocent bystander, she decided she might as well try to enjoy it.

"You've made that very clear," Hanbin said as he carried in another box of drinks. He placed them on the counter, opening them up and joining in on the organising.

"Okay, what the hell?" she frowned, "How many people are you inviting Bobby?"

Bobby shrugged lazily, "I like to be prepared."

Minjae rolled her eyes, opening to respond when the doorbell rang. Her eyebrows furrowed as they weren't expecting anyone yet. Bobby grinned, "That'll be the strippers."

Narrowing her eyes, Minjae shut the fridge, going to answer the door, "I hope you're kidding."

Her brother didn't reply, instead continuing with the preparation. Minjae couldn't tell whether he was being serious or not as she headed for the door, pausing before opening it. Looking through the eye hole, she breathed a sigh of relief when she saw it was Junhoe. He stood out there, dressed in his usual attire of mostly black, his hands in his pockets as he waited.

Biting her lip to fight her grin, she opened the door, leaning against the door frame. "Welcome, to the Kim Household."

Junhoe snorted, "You're so dramatic." Removing his hands from his pockets, he went to go inside the house but Minjae stretched her arms out, blocking his way.

"What are the magic words?" she smirked.

Rolling his eyes, he sighed, "You're also very childish."

"Magic words," she sang, waiting expectantly.

Junhoe seemed to consider the question for a moment before grumbling, "Minjae is the most beautiful girl alive."

She couldn't help but to grin at his guess, "Well that was very nice of you to say but I was actually looking for something along the lines of open sesame."

He crossed his arms, raising his eyebrows, "Really? You seem more like a bibbidi-bobbidi-boo kind of girl."

Shrugging, she laughed, "That would have worked too."

Junhoe smiled, opening his mouth to reply when Bobby came up behind Minjae, wondering who was at the door. "Oh, it's you," Bobby sighed, looking over Junhoe's shoulder to see if there was anyone else with him. Unfortunately for him, there wasn't.

Rolling his eyes, Junhoe replied, "Nice to see you too, dude. Who were you expecting?"

Bobby looked between the two of them, a mischievous look in his eye. Then – responding as if it was a completely normal statement to saying – he grinned, "The strippers of course." With that, he returned back into the house, Junhoe and Minjae watching him go in confusion.

Furrowing her eyebrows, Minjae looked back to Junhoe, frowning slightly, "Please tell me he's kidding."

Junhoe chuckled, stepping closer to Minjae until there was barely any space between them. Placing his hands on her waist, he leaned in, pressing his lips against hers. She smiled against his lips, raising her hands to his face. Pulling away, she rested her forehead against his, "So, is he or isn't he?"

"Huh?"

Minjae scowled, lifting her head up and removing her hands to gently punch his shoulder, "Getting strippers. Is he actually getting strippers?"

"Oh," Junhoe bit his lip, seeming as though he was doing his best not to smile, "I dunno."

Narrowing her eyes at him, Minjae gave him a look of betrayal, pouting, "You know something."

He didn't reply, leaning in and stealing a kiss. Pulling away, he grinned at her, disappearing into the house. She watched him leave, mouth gaping open in disbelief. How was he still immune to her aygeo? Shutting the front door, she followed behind him, huffing in frustration, "I hate you all."

~

Minjae handed Hanna a drink, laughing as she watched everyone interact with one another. The party hadn't started yet but their friends were all there and they were mostly just hanging out until people actually got there. She still hadn’t figured out whether or not Bobby had actually hired strippers but she had decided to just have faith that her brother would not take this party way too far.

She was about to say something when she felt something vibrating in her pocket. Pulling out her phone, she started leaving the room as she picked up the call, "Hello?"

"Hey, what time did you say the party started again?"

Being the nice person she was, Minjae had invited the new boy to the party – hoping to help him make friends. She knew that he already had some friends but figured it wouldn't hurt to help him make some more. "Well, there's no official time," Minjae furrowed her eyebrows in thought as she paced the hallway, "Just show up in a like an hour or two."

There was a moment of silence in which he didn't reply. Frowning, Minjae asked, "Is everything okay, Chanwoo?"

There was another moment of silence before Chanwoo sighed, "I may already be here."

Not sure whether or not he was kidding, Minjae went to her door, peeking through it to see him awkwardly standing there, phone to his ear. Rolling her eyes in amusement, she hung up the phone, opening the door and raising her eyebrows, "Why didn't you knock?"

He shrugged, cheeks slightly flushed in embarrassment, "I wasn't sure if I had the right address."

"Well, you do," she smiled reassuringly, "It's pretty dead here at the moment though, fair warning."

Chanwoo opened his mouth to respond but – unsurprisingly – he was interrupted by Bobby shouting from the kitchen, "Is that the strippers?"

Minjae narrowed her eyes, shouting back, "I don't believe that you actually got strippers, Bobby!" Glancing back at Chanwoo, she noticed that he looked even more awkward than he did before and really uncomfortable. Resisting the urge to laugh, she shook her head at him, "Ignore everything he ever says to you."

He nodded slowly as if still not sure how to reply to their interaction. Smiling at him yet again – she really didn't want to make him uncomfortable – she gestured for him to follow her, closing the door behind him and leading him to the kitchen where everybody was currently residing. They all turned to watch, each of them appraising him in their own different way.

Smiling again at Chanwoo, she turned her attention to the group, "Guys, this is Chanwoo. He's new in town."

Chanwoo waved at them all, probably not sure what to do. Bobby – being the most social of them all – took the initiative, waving at him, "I'm Bobby, what's up?" From there, everyone seemed to warm up to him, introducing themselves and asking Chanwoo more about himself and his life. Minjae was happy to see him getting along with everyone as she sat back down next to Hanna, casting a glance across the room at Junhoe.

He too was watching everyone talk but as if he sensed her eyes on him, his eyes flitted to hers. She smiled, giving him an overly cheesy wink. It seemed to amuse him as he rolled his eyes, a slight smile decorating his face. Still feeling funny, she stuck her tongue out at him, quickly returning it to before anyone else could see. Junhoe's smile turned to a grin but before he could make a gesture in response, Minjae felt someone nudge her.

"Thanks for inviting me to the party," Chanwoo said once he had her attention.

Blushing slightly at maybe being caught flirting, she joked, "Oh, yeah no, that was an accident. I totally thought you were Yunhyeong when I told you about this party." Seeing an opportunity to point it out, Minjae nudged Hanna beside her, "Don't you think Chanwoo looks like Yunhyeong?"

Hanna appraised the boy for a moment before nodding, replying, "Yeah, he kind of does."

"Yunhyeong, how does it feel to have found your long lost brother?" Minjae asked, gesturing to Chanwoo.

Rolling his eyes, Yunhyeong laughed, "I guess I see the resemblance – but don't you think he kind of longs like the younger Lee Minho?"

Everyone paused, turning their eyes to Chanwoo to decide. The boy in question seemed to tense up at all the attention; Minjae felt slightly bad but if he was going to hang out with them, he'd have to get use to this kind of thing. Shaking his head, Jinhwan said, "Nah, you're just saying that because if he looks like Lee Minho, then you look like Lee Minho by association."

Yunhyeong frowned, rolling his eyes as everyone laughed at Jinhwan's comment. "Come on, I bet if Lee Minho saw him, he'd hire him to play the younger version of himself in all his dramas."

Bobby snorted, "That's a bit of stretch."

What had started out as a joke turned into a fully fledged debate as people picked their stance on whether or not Chanwoo looked like Lee Minho. Minjae didn’t really comment much, mostly just watching with a smile and glancing over at Chanwoo every so often to make sure he was doing okay. And sure enough, he seemed to be having a pretty good time and getting along well with everyone.

People started arriving for the party before they could come to a decision – mostly because they hadn't really stuck to the topic at hand and ended up talking about other stuff as well. Even so, Bobby put the music on and the party finally started. Minjae spent the first few hours dancing with people but soon grew tired and decided she wanted to find Junhoe, who had said he was only going to getting a drink and still hadn't returned. Something gave her the feeling that he was currently with Jinhwan as he always seemed to be making things difficult for them. He was like their relationship's reverse guardian angel.

Leaving the packed living room, she got as far as the kitchen before getting distracted by Chanwoo. He was currently sitting on one of the stools of the kitchen countertops, eating what seemed to be a pack of sweets. She noticed he was alone and concerned that everyone had ditched him, she went over to him. She sat down on the empty stool to his side, saying, "Enjoying the party?"

He looked over, smiling at her, "Yeah, it's fun."

"Really? Cause you're sat over here by yourself?"

His eyes widened slightly and he shook his head sheepishly, "Oh, that's just because Bobby went to the toilet."

Relieved, she nodded, "That's good, I was worried that maybe everyone ditched you… kind of like I did… sorry about that by the way."

"No, it's cool, I'm having fun and making friends," he reassured her, "Thanks by the way, for introducing me to your friends. I was kind of worried about moving to a new town but you really helped." Chanwoo seemed genuinely grateful – much more than she was expecting and she really didn't know how to respond to that.

"It was nothing," she shrugged awkwardly, deciding to lighten the mood with a joke, "Having a new person in the group means there's another person to help when clean up comes around."

He laughed, "Huh, I never considered that."

"Most people don't. That's how everyone else fell into the trap."

Chanwoo opened his mouth to say something when she suddenly felt arms wrap around her and someone hug her close to their back. "There you are," they said, giving themselves away to be Junhoe. She was about to respond when he kissed her cheek, surprising her. It was unlike him to initiate the affection when in front of so many people.

Minjae looked up at him, "Says you, I thought you were just gonna be gone for like a second."

Junhoe rolled his eyes, "Cut me some slack, I ran into Jinhwan on the way to get my drink. In fact, I ended up not even getting it in the end."

She laughed, almost forgetting that Chanwoo was there if not for the rustle of his sweets, "Well, while you're getting yourself a drink – why don't you get me one too?"

He shrugged, "Sure."<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter