Love

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I can't believe you made me come along to this," Junhoe grumbled in Minjae's ear as they followed closely behind Minjae's younger cousin. It was a lovely day, the sun was out and shining, children playing in the park. Junhoe had just wanted to sit around, but unfortunately for him, Minjae had felt inclined to drag him along to her activities for that day.

Rolling her eyes, she replied, "Come on, I couldn't really third wheel my way through this."

"Who even needs a chaperone nowadays? It's not like she's the crown princess of Genovia."

Laughing slightly, Minjae nudged him with her shoulder, "And you said that you didn't like The Princess Diaries."

He half scowled, half smiled, "I didn't; I only watched it because you forced me. Just like you're forcing me to come along to this."

"Please, don't act like I never do things I don't want to do for you," Minjae scowled back at him, "I seem to recall sitting through a marathon of Michael Jackson documentaries for you."

"That's so different to right now in so many ways," Junhoe shook his head in disapproval.

Sighing, she responded, "Look, her parents are really, super strict and it was either I supervised her or her mom. I felt bad for her so I agreed to do it… like just imagine if your mom attended one of our dates."

He grimaced at the thought of it, shuddering slightly, "Ugh, I see your point – but I don't get why you. Like what authority do you have? You're not much older than she is."

"Excuse you," Minjae smirked, "I am the most responsible and trustworthy teen out there."

"So basically they didn't trust Bobby?"

Rolling her eyes, she nodded, "Pretty much."

They slowed as they reached the spot that Minjae's little cousin – Yerin – was supposed to be meeting her boyfriend. Apparently it was their first official date and her parents hadn't been too happy about letting her go. Yerin had just turned twelve and they felt that it was too young of an age to date but not wanting to upset her, they'd agreed on the condition that she brought someone along to supervise.

Yerin was completely head over heels for the boy, telling Minjae endlessly about how he was new to her school and how they'd talked there and online constantly. They were even, 'Facebook official' – whatever that meant.

Minjae watched as Yerin spotted her boyfriend, practically running to him and embracing him tightly. He hugged her back, seeming really happy to see her. He was cute enough, though he hadn't yet hit his growth spurt, only being around the same height as Yerin – who really wasn't that tall either.

"How much exactly are we supposed to supervise?" Junhoe asked her, eyeing the couple as they continued hugging.

"What do you mean?" she replied, raising her eyebrows when the two had still not released one another.

"Like did her parents give instructions for whether they're allowed to kiss and how long they're supposed to hug for?"

Snorting, Minjae pursed her lips, "If there was a time limit, I think that they passed it a while ago."

He laughed, "Should we stop them?"

She shook her head, "No, they'll pull away eventually." When they didn't for another ten seconds, she added, "They have to pull away eventually, right?"

Minjae was right as they did eventually pull away, grinning at each other before coming back to Minjae and Junhoe, hands intertwined and swinging. Watching them kind of gave Minjae the urge to swing her and Junhoe's hands but she somehow managed to restrain herself, smiling at the young couple as they stood in front of them.

"Minjae, this is my boyfriend Woohyun," Yerin introduced, "Woohyun, this is my cousin Minjae and her boyfriend Junhoe."

Woohyun smiled shyly at the two, probably intimidated by Junhoe and his height as it was a rather large difference to him. Minjae smiled at him in her least intimidating smile, replying, "It's nice to meet you. So what's the plan for today?"

Junhoe leaned over, whispering in her ear, "You're letting the preteens plan this day?"

She ignored him, keeping her smile planted on her face while squeezing his hand tightly. He squeezed back and it became a competition of who could squeeze the hardest while still looking like they were listening to Yerin.

"Well, we thought we'd go to watch a movie and then afterwards, get something to eat and sit at the park," Yerin said, smiling at her boyfriend. She was too oblivious to notice that both Minjae and Junhoe's faces were red with effort.

"Ouch, okay you win," Minjae exclaimed, pulling her hand away in defeat.

Junhoe smiled in triumph as the preteens just eyed them in confusion. Clearing , Minjae blurted, "I mean as in, okay you win, we'll do that today because it sounds like a great idea." She could hear Junhoe snickering to her side, to which she just elbowed him and smiled at the young couple. "Lead the way," Minjae gestured to them. They did so, turning and heading in the direction of the cinema, hands still together.

Minjae followed, with Junhoe at her side. He looked at her for a moment, before taking her hand and rubbing soothing circles on it with his thumb. "My victory isn’t as great as I thought it'd be," he grumbled, "You okay?"

She snorted, rolling her eyes and shoulder bumping him, "Aw, your concern is cute but I'm good."

They were quiet for a bit as they watched Yerin and Woohyun interact with one another, Woohyun's arm now around Yerin's shoulder. "This is their first date?" Junhoe asked.

She nodded, "Yeah." Tilting her head to the side, she appraised the couple, and then looked at Junhoe, "Did we ever become 'Facebook official'?"

His eyebrows furrowed as he replied, "What does that even mean?"

"Come on, don't be an old man," Minjae squeezed his hand – affectionately this time, "I'm pretty sure it's when it says that you're in a relationship like when you go on the page."

"When was the last time you even used Facebook?" Junhoe responded.

Rolling her eyes, she laughed, "I don't think that's the point."

"Then what is the point?"

"I dunno," she shrugged, "Just forget I even mentioned it." Junhoe eyed her for a second before nodding and returning his eyes back to the young couple in front of them. The walk to the cinema was only a few minutes and it was rather busy considering a whole heap of movies had recently come out. Yerin and Woohyun were animatedly discussing which movie they'd rather see. Junhoe had wanted to have his say but Minjae had stopped him, insisting that since it wasn't technically their date and they were actually meant to be supervising, that they should let the others choose.

It didn’t take that long for the two to decide:

"What do you wanna watch, babe?" Woohyun asked Yerin.

"I'll watch whatever you want," Yerin replied, smiling at him. Minjae had raised her eyebrows at this as if this had been her and Junhoe, they would currently be arguing about what to watch and whose turn it was to choose. In fact, if Junhoe even offered her the choice to choose without any argument, she'd jump for it, questioning if he was in his right mind after the movie was already finished.

"Honestly there's nothing that I desperately want to watch," Woohyun shrugged, "So you should go for it."

Yerin's face crinkled in thought before she nodded, "Okay, let's watch The Royal Tailor, I heard that’s good and it has Park Shinhye in it."

Junhoe grimaced at the idea and Minjae stalled herself, waiting for Woohyun to argue that he didn't want to see the movie. She'd heard that it was really good but also that it was a period movie with a lot of romance and that it was kind of sad. It was definitely the sort of thing that Junhoe refused to watch so she half expected Woohyun to also complain but he didn't.

"Anything for you, Yerin," Woohyun told her. Minjae wasn't sure whether to gag or be envious at how cooperative he was. Junhoe seemed to have the same thought as her as he scoffed at the young couple, stopping when Minjae sent him a glare.

After that, they bought the tickets – Junhoe scowling the whole time as he really didn’t want to watch the movie. Minjae just rolled her eyes, carrying the popcorn and following her cousin into the dark theatre room. They sat in the middle, Minjae and Junhoe choosing to sit behind the young couple as that seemed more of the supervisory thing to do. In all truth, neither of them was really supervising; they were kind of just following them around awkwardly and trying not to get distracted.

The lights went down and the adverts and trailers began playing just as they got settled in. Minjae offered Junhoe some popcorn, to which he accepted, stuffing his face with it and making idle chatter about things. They both paused when they noticed the two preteens in front however, both of them grinning in amusement as Woohyun pretended to yawn so that he could put his arm around Yerin.

"I feel like this is the kind of thing we're meant to be stopping," Junhoe whispered.

Minjae snorted, rolling her eyes, "You can if you really want – be my guest."

Junhoe hesitated for a moment as if waiting for something before sighing in relief, "Oh thank god, I thought you were about to break out into song."

Her eyes widened in realisation as she huffed, "I just missed a good opportunity, didn't I?"

"Yeah," Junhoe nodded, "You know, I'm surprised, you're slacking."

"It's this supervising thing," Minjae complained, then eyeing Woohyun's arm around Yerin, she pouted at Junhoe, "Aren't you gonna make a move?"

Junhoe looked at her in surprise, his mouth full of popcorn – clearly he wasn't expecting her to be so upfront. He struggled to swallow it, thumping his chest as he choked, "What?"

"I'm just saying, Woohyun has more game than you at the moment," Minjae nodded her head to the couple.

"Hey, at least I'm here okay?" Junhoe rolled his eyes. This didn't seem to appease her so he sighed, putting his arm around her and gently kissing her cheek. "Come on," he whispered in her ear, "Imagine if I hadn't come, you'd be sitting back here, watching them act all lovey-dovey."

Turning her head to face him, she tried not to pause as their noses bumped, their breaths mingling at the close distance. Smirking, she replied, "Actually, I'd probably be actually watching the movie."

"As opposed to what?" Junhoe raised his eyebrows, his eyes flicking to her lips. She didn't answer, instead leaning in and closing the gap as her response. The fact that they were in the middle of the cinema instead of near the back was completely forgotten as she trailed her hands to his neck, pulling him closer to her. The only thing keeping them slightly separated was the armrest between them.

Eventually they broke their kiss as Minjae was distracted by the popcorn that had just then spilt over her. She pulled away, frowning down at it, "Crap." She brushed it off herself, turning to smile sheepishly at Junhoe, "You know, I never expected to be one half of that couple that comes to the cinema just to play tonsil hockey."

He laughed slightly, face scrunching up as he said, "Ew, don't call it that."

She grinned, "What would you rather I call it?" She paused, thinking for a second before whispering, "Necking?"

Junhoe grimaced at her, causing her to laugh, "Just watch the movie, Jae." She rolled her eyes, directing her attention to the movie that had started a few minutes ago. Luckily, they hadn't missed much and she was able to quickly catch up on what was going on. It didn’t take long for Junhoe to actually put his arm around her unprompted, allowing her to lean her head on his shoulder.

"Smooching?" she whispered as the movie played. She hadn't forgotten and she spent most of the movie leaning over and whispering all of the different synonyms that she could think of, giggling at Junhoe's response to them. "Snogging?"

"Shush."

"Tongue wrestling?"

"Gross."

"Swapping spit?"

"Even grosser."

"Canoodling?"

He snorted at that one, looking at her in disbelief, "Okay now you're just making these up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter