Have You Checked The Pantry?

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"My friends are coming over," Bobby announced as he waltzed into Minjae's room. She glanced up from her laptop, eyebrow raised in question. Minjae was laid on her bed, watching videos of her favourite group, BTS, on YouTube. Pausing her video, she eyed her brother as he plopped himself on her desk chair. She wasn't sure how she felt about his friends coming over.

"We're gonna watch some movies and stuff, do you wanna join?" he asked.

Minjae actually really wanted to hang out with them. Most of Bobby's friends were her friends as well but even with that in mind, she was anxious. "Is Junhoe coming?" she blurted.

Bobby's eyebrows furrowed at her sudden question, looking as if he wanted to ask her why she wanted to know. Tilting his head to the side, he answered with more of a question than an answer, "Yes?"

"Then I'll pass," Minjae replied, pressing play to the video. Bobby looked as if he wanted to question her but must have chosen not to as he lifted himself from the seat, lingering slightly before leaving altogether. Once he was gone, Minjae paused the video again, shutting her laptop and sighing heavily. Rolling around, she stared at her ceiling in frustration.

The New Year's party had only been a week ago but she knew for a fact that Junhoe was avoiding her. She'd had his number since before then – for emergencies – and she'd actually tried to use it for the first time after the party. He hadn't responded to any of her attempts to reach out to him. To make matters worse, she'd seen him in person and whenever she'd tried to talk to him, he'd basically ran away. It was worse than when he pretended to have a problem with her; at least then he spoke to her.

She must have been staring at her ceiling for a while as Bobby soon came back into her room, pausing as he noticed her position. Frowning, he asked, "When did you get so angsty?"

Minjae just shifted slightly, glancing at him with an unimpressed look in response. "What?"

"They're here… I just wanted to double check that you were sure. I mean, we're ordering pizza."

Her face brightened at the sound of 'pizza'. She would have really wanted some pizza but she just couldn't stand being in the same room as Junhoe knowing that he was avoiding her like he was. Huffing, she pouted, "Save me some?"

Bobby chuckled slightly, then cautiously replied, "Why does it matter that Junhoe's here?"

Minjae grimaced, not wanting to talk about boys with her brother. "You wouldn't get it."

"You don't…" Bobby hesitated for a moment before cautiously asking, "Do you like him?"

She sat up in shock, shaking her head, "What? No, of course not." Real casual Minjae, she scolded herself mentally for her obvious reaction.

Bobby raised his eyebrows in disbelief, "I dunno. You guys were pretty friendly at the New Year's party."

"You saw that?" she gasped.

He nodded, "Yeah, most of it, you were on the landing for everybody to see. You can tell me, Jae. What are older brothers for?" He wore a large grin as he talked, making all of his attempts to get her to talk futile.

Frowning at him, Minjae sighed, "Get out."

"Huh?"

"Leave," she replied, slowly as if she were speaking to a baby.

"Look," Bobby grinned at her, "I just wanna make sure my baby sister has had the birds and the bees talk. It's important tha-"

He was cut off as a pillow went flying at his head. Looking up, he saw that Minjae was stood on her bed, clutching another one of her pillows in her hand. "Kim Jiwon, I swear if you say another word, I am going to tell Mom and Dad that you were the one who broke the table," she threatened, pointing at him.

The table had been broken little over two weeks ago and their parents were still mourning the loss of it. Minjae had played along when Bobby blamed their poor cat, but only because she knew she'd have something to blackmail him with later on. He only had himself to blame really – twerking on such an expensive table was just a bad idea.

His eyes narrowed as he made an exaggerated gasping noise, holding his hand to his heart, "You wouldn't."

"I would," she challenged, glaring at him.

Frowning, he replied in a rather dramatic voice, "You win this time, Kim Minjae. But I will have my vengeance!" With that final announcement, he left, slamming the door dramatically.

Minjae couldn't help but to shake her head at her brother, laughing slightly as she dropped to her knees. Sighing, she opened her laptop up again, grabbing her headphones this time around. From downstairs, she could hear them laughing and it was going to bother her if she didn't cover it up. Plugging them in, she put a random video on, intending to watch a lot of them to pass the time by.

Around twenty minutes passed when she heard the doorbell ring through her headphones. Getting up in a hurry, she glanced out the window to see the pizza delivery man. He was holding quite a few boxes of pizza but she knew that the boys would definitely finish it all. Her stomach rumbled, reminding her that she hadn't eaten in a while and she really wanted pizza.

Recon mission time, she thought. Opening the door to her room, she peeked out into the empty hallway. Minjae could hear them talking, their voices carrying to the kitchen and then the living room. Tiptoeing across the hallway, she stopped at the stairs, trying to listen out for voices. It sounded as if everyone had gone into the living room, so she took a deep breath before dashing down to the kitchen.

Luckily for her, they were too occupied in the living room to notice her pass by the door. Entering the kitchen, she saw that there were five extra large pizzas laid out onto the table. As quickly as she could, Minjae looked into each box, grabbing the 'meat feast' box. Just as she picked it up, she heard voices – one of them being Junhoe's – heading to the kitchen. Panicking, she ran to the pantry, getting inside it with the pizza and shutting the door quietly.

Breathing as quietly as she could, Minjae listened to the boys talk. "Dibs on the meat feast," she heard Donghyuk exclaim. Whoops, she thought as she glanced down at the box in her hands. Her stomach grumbled at the smell of the pizza.

"Wait, guys, I could have sworn there was five boxes when we went to the living room," Yunhyeong said, sounding confused.

There was a moment of silence before Bobby sighed, "It was probably Minjae."

"Aw, she took the meat feast as well," Donghyuk complained.

"Give me a sec," Bobby told them. Minjae heard him leave, his footsteps going up the stairs. She wondered how he would react upon getting to her room and finding her gone. None of them seemed to suspect her hiding spot and she hoped to keep it that way. She also hoped that she'd be able to leave soon; the light for the pantry was outside and she hadn't turned it on when she was hurrying so she was stood in darkness.

"I wonder why she didn't just come hang out with us," Jinhwan said.

Minjae kind of wanted to hear Junhoe say something on the topic but to her dismay, he stayed silent. The person who ended up replying was Yunhyeong, "Yeah, we would have shared our pizza."

There was silence as she heard Bobby come back down the stairs. Everyone must have been waiting for him to say something as no one talked for a moment. Bobby quickly broke the silence as he announced, "She's gone."

"What do you mean?" Hanbin asked.

"She's not in her room," Bobby explained, "She's probably hiding somewhere."

"Let's split up to find her," Jinhwan suggested. Minjae's eyes widened as she heard this, resisting the urge to groan.

Minjae's ears perked up as she heard Junhoe sigh, "Does it really matter? Just let her have it."

Unsure how to feel about his comment, she bit her lip. Was he trying to help her? Or was this just another way of avoiding her? Probably another way to avoid me, she scowled at the door. Deciding it was for the best that he talked them out of the search, she leaned against the door, wanting them to speed up so she could escape back to her room.

"I really want that pizza guys," she heard Donghyuk whine. Damn it.

"Great, so we split up then," Bobby said, "Let's go."

Minjae listened out, hearing them leave. Some of them went upstairs and the others she had no idea about. She wanted to peek and see if they were all gone, but she had a nagging suspicion that they weren't. Just as she was about to push the door handle down, she heard Jinhwan's voice. "Still avoiding her, huh?"

"I'm not avoiding her," she heard Junhoe say – he sounded like he was scowling. What a liar, she narrowed her eyes at the door.

"Sure," Jinhwan replied, sounding unconvinced, "Whatever you say. Just at least make it look like you're trying to help find her and the pizza."

Junhoe sighed, "Fine." There was moment of silence and suddenly, the pantry light flickered on. Minjae's eyes widened in panic as she looked around the now lit pantry for somewhere to hide. Finding nowhere to go, she backed as far into the corner as she could, crouching down and attempting to cover herself and the large pizza box with the many stacks of toilet paper. "I'll check the pantry," she heard him state before the door squeaked open.

She couldn't see him past the toilet rolls and she hoped it was the same for him. Holding her breath, she heard his sniff several times as if smelling something. Looking down at the box in her hands, she realised that he probably smelt the pizza she held. Grimacing, she waited. Luckily for her, he seemed to give up, leaving the pantry but not turning the light off. "Not in there," she heard him tell Jinhwan, "There, I looked."

Jinhwan sighed deeply then announced, "I'm going to look with Hanbin. Don't overexert yourself with all the energy you're putting into looking."

Minjae heard Jinhwan disappear up the stairs, breathing a breath of relief. She tried to rise, tripping over her own feet. She did her best to regain her balance, failing and managing to knock over several of the cereal boxes stacked on the shelves as well as the toilet paper she'd hidden behind. Fortunately, she was able to keep a hold of the pizza box, staring at it in relief.

Just as she was about to relax, the door flung open – the noise she had made probably alerting someone of her spot. Junhoe met her eyes in surprise. She didn't say anything as he looked at the pizza, then her, then the knocked over items and then her again. Minjae waited for him to say something but he didn't, only scanning her eyes. Unable to take the silence, she opened to say something just as she heard someone come down the stairs. Panicking, she grabbed Junhoe by the wrist, yanking him into the room and shutting the door behind him. She put her back against the door, hoping they didn't see.

None of the boys coming down the stairs must have seen him get pulled in because they didn't say anything as they entered the kitchen. Glancing at Junhoe, Minjae held a finger to her lips, urging him to be quiet. He obliged, watching her silently with curiosity, possible nervousness and embarrassment – she really couldn't tell.

"Where'd Junhoe go?" she heard Bobby ask.

"Maybe he's still looking for Minjae," Donghyuk replied.

"I'm hungry, can we eat and then find them later on?" Yunhyeong moaned. Minjae hoped they'd go with his suggestion because them finding her and Junhoe hiding in the pantry together would look really bad for the both of them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter