Cotton Candy Fireworks

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Okay, so I feel like I'm obligated to lay down some ground rules. You know, being the big brother and all," Bobby announced as he parked the car outside Hanbin's house. Minjae sat in the seat beside him; she raised an eyebrow, debating whether or not it would be worth arguing with him. Deciding that it wouldn't, she inclined her head as if to tell him to go on.

"Rule number one," Bobby started confidently, then paused, unsure of how to continue. Clearly, he hadn't planned this out at all. Luckily for him, he didn't have to continue as Hanbin and Jinhwan entered the car, filling it with noise. Minjae turned back, grinning at them in welcome. Hanbin sat directly behind her, ruffling her hair.

"Hey!" she complained right as Jinhwan asked, "So what are we talking about?"

"I was just giving Minjae the rules for tonight," Bobby explained, setting the car into drive. From the rear view mirror she could see that they both took his statement seriously, appearing deeply in thought. She rolled her eyes, resisting the urge to laugh.

"I've got one," Jinhwan exclaimed proudly, "No talking to strangers."

Her urge to laugh grew too strong for her to resist. All the boys looked at her in offence but she could see the humour behind their eyes. Bobby tried to remain serious as he said, "Minjae, this is serious business. We are going out to a dangerous place."

"Oh right, I forgot how dangerous the fair could get. Just thinking about the cotton candy and merry-go-rounds puts a shiver down my spine," she retorted, shivering dramatically in mock fear.

She felt someone hit the back of her head gently as Hanbin chuckled, "Hey, none of that sass from you, young lady."

Minjae was tempted to fake gag but chose not to, instead just raising an eyebrow at him through the rear view mirror. He just looked down at his phone casually as if he hadn't just unleashed his inner senior citizen on her. Deciding to do the same, she looked at her phone, replying to texts sent from her friends. She was excited to be going to the fair as it was a nice break from school – which had started and was rather stressful. She didn't want to think about the pile of homework she had at home though, so she set her mind on something else.

Minjae was going to be meeting with her friends when she got there because as much as she loved her brother's friends, she needed a break from them on occasion. Of course she hoped that she'd get to spend some time alone with Junhoe but she still her friends to keep in mind.

"So, you said that you were meeting your friends there…" Bobby began, trying to seem casual. She knew almost instantly what he was asking.

"Yes, Hanna is going to be there," she sighed, rolling her eyes. She didn't even have to look at her brother to know that he was grinning. Gross, she thought.

"What about-"

"And so will Hayi and Suhyun," she said before Hanbin could ask. Both him and Jinhwan looked away embarrassed – she chose to just grimace and say, "I find your interest in my friends gross by the way."

Bobby snorted, "Like you can talk – how are you and Junhoe doing nowadays?"

Minjae scoffed, opening to reply when Bobby cut her off, "Don't answer that actually. I find your interest in my friend gross." She rolled her eyes, ignoring the laughter coming from the seats behind her. Her brother wore a smug grin, which she chose to just narrow her eyes at and then look away. She had no response to him as he had been right.

The rest of the ride was spent with Minjae trying to seem angry but failing as the conversation in the car was ridiculous – then again, anything that involved her brother and his friends was always ridiculous. It didn't take long from them to get there, Minjae hopping out and looking at the fair excitedly. It was getting darker and the sun was beginning to set. There were loads of cars parked around them, showing that they weren't the only ones who decided to spend their Saturday night there.

Looking around, she spotted her friends at the entrance, waving to them and quickly ditching her brother for them. They were stood with the remaining members of Bobby's group, chatting amongst themselves. It really helped that her brother's friends and her friends were friends (that was a mouthful, lol). Her eyes drifted to Junhoe, who stood with his usual bored expression. Minjae had to fight the urge to sigh at how adorable he was, instead smiling at her friends.

They finally noticed her, all hugging her and giving her their greeting. "What took you guys so long?" Hayi asked.

Minjae looked back at the three boys she ditched, saying, "We had to stop to pick up Jinhwan and Hanbin. You guys weren't waiting for too long, were you?"

Suhyun grinned, shaking her head, "Nah, Hayi's just being a diva."

Laughing, Minjae's eyes caught onto Junhoe's from over their shoulders. His group was now in a conversation, the three having joined them. She held his eyes for a while, him giving her a tiny smile and nod in acknowledgement. Smiling back, she was about to stick her tongue out teasingly at him when Hanna waved a hand in front of her eyes, "Earth to Minjae, are you even paying attention?"

Her eyes widened slightly and she dropped the contact to look at her friends, flushing in embarrassment. "Crap, sorry. What were you saying?" she stuttered.

All three girls pursed their lips at her, giving her a suspicious glance. "How about we actually go into the fair while you tell us all about how things are going with Junhoe?" Hayi suggested, locking arms with Minjae. She grinned at Minjae mischievously, which Minjae chose to just shake her head to as they dragged her into the fair. Glancing back, she saw Junhoe watch her go, face back to being bored.

Typical Junhoe, she thought before giving her friends her full attention. They spent a long time going to stalls and going on fair rides. Minjae really enjoyed herself – even in the photo booth that they had to all cram and squeeze to into. It had been Suhyun's idea and had seemed great at first, until they realised that the seat was only made for two people.

"Jae, you should totally bring Junhoe here," Hanna had joked as they'd all tried to make themselves smaller. Minjae had acknowledged that it was a good idea, but imagined that getting Junhoe in there would be a difficult job. Once they'd all managed to get in, they then proceeded to pose in embarrassing positions, laughing and giggling as the camera went off.

Looking at the pictures, Minjae was glad they'd tried. She put them away, sipping on her drink as Hanna told her about a recent maths lesson she'd had. Suhyun and Hayi had excused themselves for a moment to go talk to Chanhyuk, Suhyun's brother, leaving the two girls to bond over hot dogs and fair drinks. Minjae had a weird soft spot for fair food, like cotton candy and hot dogs but they weren't exactly the healthiest things.

"So he just flipped the table over and stormed out?" Minjae raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"Yeah, it was so dramatic," Hanna shook her head in amusement as she bit into her food.

"God, I wish I'd been there," Minjae laughed, "That sounds so funny."

Hanna nodded in agreement, then grinned, joking, "Well, if you weren't so damn smart and put into AP Maths then you could've experienced it."

Minjae laughed some more, frowning in mock disappointment, "Darn my ability to understand circle theorems." She even added a dramatic face palm for effect. Hanna laughed, shaking her head at how ridiculous she was.

Their laughter was interrupted as someone sat opposite them, saying, "So, ladies, what's so funny?"

Cutting her laughter short, Minjae gave her brother an unimpressed look as she dryly replied, "Circle theorems."

Bobby didn't seem off put by her reply, setting his grin on Hanna. Minjae simply narrowed her eyes at him, glancing at Hanna and praying she wasn't falling for it. By the smitten look on Hanna's face, Minjae could tell she was, rolling her eyes. She couldn't believe her brother was going to try and flirt with Hanna while she was sat right next to her. At least she never made a move on Junhoe in front of him.

Unsure of what to do, she gave him a glare before finding a reason to excuse herself. "I'm gonna go pee," Minjae said. When she realised neither was paying attention, she sighed, "And break rule number one by talking to that creepy looking guy over there that is a complete stranger." There was no response, so she continued her story, "And then proceed to get kidnapped by that stranger."

"Mm-hmm, have fun," her brother said, waving his hand at her dismissively. Huffing in frustration, she stood, leaving her drink on her table in her storm away. Feeling too prideful to go back for it, she couldn't help but feel relief as she spotted Junhoe, Yunhyeong and Donghyuk standing nearby. She approached them, eyes latching on the small plush toy that Yunhyeong held.

"Who's your new friend?" she asked, standing next to them. Her eyes met with Junhoe's briefly but she didn't want to get caught up staring, quickly averting contact to the toy. It was a unicorn.

"What? This?" Yunhyeong raised the toy. Minjae nodded in affirmation. "Oh, I won this at one of the stalls," he said, "You can have if you want, I didn't really know what to do with it."

Minjae placed a hand to her heart, exclaiming, "For me? Really? Thanks." She took it, smiling at it and deciding it was a present better suited for her little cousin. Eyeing it for another second, she didn't miss the scoff she got from Junhoe, to which she just raised her eyebrow at. She quickly got into a conversation with the boys, discussing their time at the fair and asking them what they thought all the best rides were.

They talked for a while but Minjae could feel the tension as Junhoe kept sending them pointed looks as if sending a message. Not long after these pointed looks began, Yunhyeong and Donghyuk abruptly made an excuse about promising Jinhwan they'd get him some food. She watched them go with a smile of amusement on her face, "You totally just got them to leave, didn't you?"

Junhoe snorted as if it was ridiculous she'd suggest that, "What? Of course not." When he noticed that Minjae was giving him a look of disbelief, he huffed, "That obvious, huh?"

She laughed, nudging him with her elbow, "Subtly is not your strong suit."

"I'll keep that in mind next time," he rolled his eyes, then looked around the fairground. Minjae was surprised when he grabbed her hand, uttering, "Come on."

"Where do you wanna go first?" Minjae asked, swinging their hands childishly.

"Wherever you want to go," Junhoe replied in his usual bored tone – probably not realising just how cute his statement had been.

She chose to not give into her urge to make fun of him; if she did, he would never say nice stuff like that again and Minjae found that she really enjoyed the times that Junhoe was accidentally romantic. Pondering over where they could go, she spotted a cotton candy vendor, pointing at it and saying, "I need cotton candy."

Junhoe laughed slightly, leading them there as he replied, "You do not need cotton candy."

"Yes I do."

"No you don't."

"June, I'm not even kidding when I say that I will literally self combust right now because I haven't had any cotton candy yet," Minjae replied in a serious tone.

He rolled his eyes, turning his attention to the stall they'd just reached. Minjae quickly ordered one pink one, going into her bag to grab the money. Unfortunately, she was still holding onto the unicorn, dropping it and some change in her struggle. She heard Junhoe sigh impatiently as she picked it and the change up, rising to see that he'd already paid and was holding the cotton candy out to her.

"Thanks," she said, handing him the amount it cost.

Junhoe shook his head, "Keep it."

Minjae scowled at him, knowing they'd had this argument, "Junhoe, you are my boyfriend not my personal bank account. You can't pay for everything."

"I can pay for some things though, so why don't we let this be one of them?" he raised his eyebrows.

She sighed, putting the change away and taking the cotton candy with narrowed eyes. They weren't narrow for long however as she stared at the cotton candy in childlike awe. She absolutely adored cotton candy and loved fresh made cotton candy especially.

Realising there was a line forming, Minjae shuffled away from them, taking an unladylike bite straight from the cotton candy instead of ripping it off. She pulled away to see Junhoe eyeing her in amusement. "I worry about you sometimes, Jae," he said as seriously as he could.

Minjae rolled her eyes, "You and half the world."

Junhoe went to grab her hand again, stopping when he noticed they both held something. In one was the cotton candy and the other held the plush toy. Glaring at it, he said, "Did you have to take that toy from Yunhyeong?"

She raised her eyebrows, attention distracted momentarily from her cotton candy. Appraising the toy, she shrugged, "It's cute."

Junhoe scoffed, "It's tiny."

Minjae had to admit it was small, handing her cotton candy to Junhoe as she put it into her bag. It fit without a struggle, proving Junhoe's earlier statement. Looking at him in challenge, she said, "Could you do any better?"

Snorting, Junhoe confidently replied, "Of course."

"You're sure you could?" Minjae continued, her single eyebrow raising to provoke the boy.

"Pffft. Yes, look, come on," he said, reaching for her now free hand. He dragged her behind him, looking around the fair for a stall where they were giving away toys. It didn't take long to find one, coming across one that had huge animal teddies all around the top. Around it, it was decorated with smaller ones that were probably for those who couldn't completely win. The man at the stall welcomed them, happy to see a young couple because that meant paying customers.

Junhoe dropped her hand – Minjae missing the warmth of his slightly – to pay the man for a try. It was one of the games where he had to knock over all the bottles with the ball to win. There were five bottles stacked onto one another in a pyramid and he was given a baseball of sorts. The man then told him he got three tries. Junhoe nodded, giving Minjae a confident smirk before proceeding to throw the ball and… only knock over one bottle.

Minjae snorted with laughter, muffling it quickly after Junhoe sent her an annoyed glance. She tried to quieten herself with cotton candy – this time using her hands and managing to finish it all – as Junhoe failed yet again. From what she could see, it seemed like it was rigged; after all, how else would he be able to keep all these big toys?

"That's all your tries," the man told Junhoe, giving him a sympathetic smile.

Trying to hide how funny she was finding this, Minjae laid a hand on his forearm, saying, "It's okay, June, I know you tried."

"One more time," Junhoe frowned.

"This isn't a movie, you're not gonna get it with one more try just because you said ‘one more time’ determinedly," Minjae sighed. He gave her a look that said 'wanna bet' before giving the stall owner a pleading look. The man nodded as Junhoe handed him some more money. Minjae scoffed in disbelief and eyed the money that had been given to the stall owner suspiciously as it looked a lot more than what was given befor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter