THE LAST STRAW

Rebel
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] THE FIRST STRAW [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

1st draft written by AlexWilson. Edited and rewritten AnnieWilson.

 

 

 

I walked back into the building and decided to take a gander at the cafeteria because I was curious as to what it looked like...alright, so I was hungry and I needed food effective immediately. Since I just enrolled, I was exempt from the morning classes as I was told by the headmistress. However, it was now almost lunch time which meant I'd have to go to the afternoon subjects.

 

"Timetable or food first...?" I muttered to myself as I wandered through the school. Frankly, I had no idea where I was going. Seohyun had shown me where the cafetria was but she spoke so much, I hardly knew which parts to pay attention to. I sighed and decided to go to the office first, since I could get my timetable there and assistance regarding the whereabouts of the cafeteria.

 

I somehow found my way to the reception of the school. Students standing around gave me odd looks and whispered amongst themselves. I didn't care, though, I was used to being spoken about. After all, being a rebel brought you a lot of attention — mostly negative, of course.

 

"She's the new girl!" one girl hissed to another as they stared at me.

 

"Did you hear what she said to Minah?"

 

"What the hell is she wearing? This is a boarding school not Forever 21."

 

"Does she know what a uniform is?"

 

I stopped in front of the woman at the desk and she looked up from her computer. "Can I help you?" She gave me a bored look and I made a face before answering her.

 

"I'm new, I need my timetable printed," I told her and she raised a thin eyebrow at me. Someone needs those reshaped. "My name is Oh Serena." She typed it in but shook her head. I growled under my breath. "Check for Oh Sujin." She typed my Korean name in.

 

"Oh Sujin, your timetable should be printing now," she said and I nodded begrudingly. "Anything else?"

 

"Can you change my name on the register? I go by my English name, not my Korean one," I replied and she groaned blatantly. My eyes widened as she started jabbing her keyboard, an annoyed look on her pinched face. Something told me I should avoid coming to the office at all costs.

 

"There, happy!?" she snapped as she snatched my timetable from the printer and shoved it in my hands. I grabbed it and immediately stepped back, my hands raised in surrender. "Now run off before I pepper-spray you." I bowed and darted off in the opposite direction, not bothering to ask her for directions to the caferia.

 

 

After a few minutes of aimlessly walking around, I reached what looked to be the caferia. I walked past the tables and up to the queue. Most people only spared me glances before they returned to their conversations with their friends. Others stopped talking to openly gawk at and whisper about me. I saw Minah and her 'crew' looking at me with smirks but I simply ignored them.

 

When it was my turn to pick food, I picked Yangnyeom Tongdak (Seasoned Fried Chicken) and banana milk. To my surprise, students were not required to pay for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We did, however, have to pay for any extra foods but I supposed that was understandable. I picked up my tray of items and looked around for a free seat. I was searching when I saw a hand waving to me. I looked at the face and saw that the hand belonged to Seohyun. I groaned but walked to her as I had no other place to go to. Besides, she could have more useful information for me. 

 

One could never hold too much knowledge. 

 

She smiled as she pulled a chair out for me. I nodded as a thank you and sat down. I placed my tray down and took time to observe her friends. The one on her right had dark brown hair with fair skin and the one across from her had light blonde hair and thin lips. Pretty, I mentally noted. But then again, I'd yet to see an ugly face in this school.

 

"Serena, these are my friends and co-prefects. Meet Yuri," Seohyun said as she pointed to the one on her right. "She's a 12th grader, a senior." I nodded in acknowledgement before she carried on, "And Hyoyeon, she's a senior as well." She pointed to the one across from her. "Guys, this is Oh Serena, my new roomate. She's a junior, like me." The girls nodded and carried on talking while I took time to look at the cafeteria.

 

It was a big hall with white walls and what looked like a hundred round tables decorating it. There was so much white, it almost hurt to look at. Everything was so bright, even the darker décor. The floors consisted of black and white tiles while the flooring surrounding the food-waiting area was wooden. There were flags draped across the walls, representing each house. A white flag for Hwaiteu, a light blue for Cheongug, a faint yellow for Nalgae and a baby pink for Guleum. I was snapped back to reality by a hand waving in my face. I turned round to the owner of the hand and suprisingly, it was Yuri.

 

"Did Seohyun go over the rules?" she asked and I nodded in return. "So you know that you cannot under any circumstances cross the skywalk?" I simply nodded again, too lazy to say a word. I took a mouthful of chicken and kept the fork in my mouth as I chewed. The conversation then took a different turn.

 

"Did you hear the Wanjeon High boys' soccer team won a match against MEGA?"  Hyoyeon questioned, her tone showcasing her irritation and the others gasped. "By just one goal! One! Aish, I'm so sick of them!" If I remembered correctly, MEGA was the boys school opposite this one. I also remembered the headmistress saying something about a girl transferring to Wanjeon — the girl whose bed I took.

 

"This means we're tied in the number of matches, doesn't it? For both the boys and girls teams?" Seohyun asked. Hyoyeon nodded then sighed in disappointment. "How the hell did they beat MEGA's Kingka? How is that even possible?" She groaned before burying her face in her hands. The other girls just shrugged though it was evident they were also frustrated. I raised an eyebrow at them and they all gasped, as if they just realised I was still there.

 

"Seohyun, you haven't told her about the Kingka?" Yuri asked while glaring at Seohyun. Seohyun shook her head then muttered something incoherent. "The Kingka is from the neighboring boys school. To be honest, there are loads of them but he's counted as the real kingka. Song Minho. Even his name sounds amazing!"

 

The look in her eyes said it all; she was smitten. The others all sighed dreamily. I laughed at them though not condescendingly. I, too, was vulnerable to boys with good looks and killer charms. Though, I could proudly admit that I'd never been as girly as any of them regarding the opposite gender.

 

"But, the other kingka is the opposite. Minho is bubbly and cheeky but the Ice Prince is something else. Jinjja. He doesn't talk to anyone except from his best friend. Oh, but his face! It's like it was sculpted by a thousand gods," Hyoyeon gushed as she fanned herself. "The love of my life, Oh Sehun." A piece of chicken caught in my throat and I coughed violently. Seohyun quickly passed me my banana milk and I chugged it down. The food travelled down my esophagus and I let out a relieved sigh. 

 

That was close, I almost died.

 

"Did you say Oh Sehun?" I asked and they nodded excitedly.

 

"He's so beautiful, Serena-ssi. The ground he steps on turns into gold," Yuri told me and I snorted. Still, my heart leapt at the prospect of seeing my brother again. He hadn't been responding to any of my attempts at getting in touch with him. Now, I understood that it must've been because his school didn't allow cellphones either. That and the fact that he hated my guts.

 

Not for much longer.

 

"But am I the only one who thinks his friend is cute?" Hyoyeon asked.

 

Yuri tilted her head. "Which one?"

 

"The tall, dark haired one. The one that sings and hangs around with Im Jaebum," she clarified. Her eyes lit up and she clicked her fingers. "J.R!"

 

"It's pronounced 'Junior', babo," Yuri teased, earning a carrot stick in the face from Hyoyeon. Yuri turned to me and I the chicken sauce from my thumb. "JR is a major flirt but unlike Minho, he's super sweet and talks to everyone."

 

"Hold up. If no one is allowed across the skywalk and fratenising is forbidden, how the hell do you guys know so much about the boys school?" I questioned, genuinely intrigued. Hey, I might as well have some fun while I was here. It wasn't like it would be for long anyway.

 

"Good question. A question with a very simple but insanely awesome answer," Seohyun squealed, clapping her hands. I stared blankly at her, waiting for her to explain. "See, fratenising is totally forbidden except during Spirit Week." My interest was picqued; I actually knew what Spirit Week was since I'd lived in America. "It's not like the the Spirit Week in American high schools." Aaaaand there goes my interest.

 

"Spirit Week here happens once a month, every month. It's when Cheonsa Academy and MEGA High use the sports and extracurricular activities facilities at the same time to allow us to bond and become stronger opponents for Wanjeon High School," Yuri explained. She was about to continue when she looked over my shoulder and a bright smile split her face. "Sooyoung-ah! Yoona-ya!"

 

I fought the urge to groan. It wasn't that I disliked those two, per say, they just...didn't click with me. Sooyoung was too touchy-feely (with my personal belongings) for my liking and Yoona had a face that made you want to punch her. She looked very...coy. She looked like the type of person to confess her undying love to you then stab you in the back the next day.

 

"Annyeong, chingu!" Yoona bea

Please log in to read the full chapter