VII - Red Roses

Three Crowns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Sehun can hardly register days when he spends them either under piles of paperwork or fretting over the wedding. He spends most of the hot afternoons within the Oh’s main study; signing various papers and invitations. His father tells him there are treaties to look over, laws to discuss and other important things that did not concern his wedding that was literally in three days. Sehun felt like his brain was about to explode with the responsibility slowly being piled upon his shoulders.

His sister was ruling with her husband in the Fifth Kingdom of the Seung’s, so was not around to shoulder the responsibility of eventually gaining the throne.

 

Sehun was essentially an only child, what with his sister married into another kingdom, and therefore he was expected to inherit the throne and as such, was required to learn all of the elements of ruling a kingdom. This seemed to consist of a lot of paperwork and a lot of theory, rather than learning combat skills for war. He didn’t see the logic in that; surely the King was expected to have knowledge of combat skills in case of a conflict? He supposes he’d have to ask the royal combat trainer for lessons if his father wasn’t going to arrange them for him.

 

 

Sehun was exceptionally nervous for his upcoming wedding with Yixing. Not only was it officially binding the Oh Kingdom and the Exo Kingdom in a peaceful harmony; it meant that when the time came for ascension, it would be likely that Yixing would have to leave his own kingdom to join Sehun in ruling the Oh Kingdom. The prince still felt bad about the inevitability of dragging Yixing away from the kingdom he grew up in, but Yixing had assured him on several occasions that all he wanted was to rule with Sehun.

Not to mention, the nerves that came with any wedding that would plague his mind at night when he couldn’t sleep. What if Yixing decided to call off the wedding on the morning? Didn’t come to the altar? What if they were called to war?

 

It kept him up at night. It was the reason for his blunt nails (courtesy of his constant nibbling at them) and the reason for the constant tenseness in his shoulders that wouldn’t leave. Yixing had reminded him that he wasn’t going to leave him; Sehun was his first and only love and he wouldn’t allow them to be separated for the entirety of their lives. Sehun would always smile softly, kiss his betrothed’s forehead and then proceed to change the subject.

 

 

But it still lingered.

 

 

 

 

 

“My Prince, please stop moving or I cannot dress you properly!” the maid implores and Sehun continues to fidget. His wedding robes were comfortable and soft on the day of their fitting, but now on the day of his wedding they seem insufferably itchy and uncomfortable. He taps his foot impatiently and constantly bites his lip.

He’s nervous.

 

“You have no reason to be nervous, child” Junmyeon says softly from where he’s sat across the room; looking extremely regal in his ceremony robes and he has a forlorn looking smile on his face.

 

“I’m not nervous” his voice cracks as he speaks, and he curses under his breath at his body’s failure to remain composed. Junmyeon simply laughs quietly and rests his hands on his lap.

 

“You have not been able to stand still since you were woken at the seventh hour, My Prince” Junmyeon counters, and Sehun huffs. However, he does manage to stop himself from tapping his foot any further, and takes a deep breath to stop himself from being so jittery. The maid sighs happily and continues to help him dress; clasping his white fur-trimmed cloak over his back (she has to stand on a stool, as he’s rather a lot taller than her) and gently pushes his royal ring onto his right middle finger.

 

“I am finished, Your Highness” she bows deeply and Sehun thanks her gently before sending her on her way. He turns to Junmyeon, who nods in approval.

 

“You look positively elegant, little prince” he admires and Sehun tries not to flush at the compliment.

 

“Do you know of how Yixing looks?” Sehun asks as he flattens down any rumples in his clothes, checking in the mirror one more time at his reflection before placing his crown on his head shakily.

He had asked for Yixing to wear flowers for the wedding ceremony (and obviously gained Yixing’s consent beforehand) and he really hoped the maids had remembered to put them on him.

 

“He looks as handsome as I know you will know him to be” Junmyeon replies, smiling widely in order to try and get Sehun himself to smile. He manages to crack a half-smile at the older man and takes the red rose from the table next to him; trying haphazardly to fix it in his pocket. He hears Junmyeon snort at his feeble attempt; and he rises to bat Sehun’s hands away to do it himself.

 

He fixes the rose properly, adjusting the crown on Sehun’s head before nodding in approval and patting his face reassuringly.

 

“You are ready, little prince” he says, and Sehun’s heart beats a little faster at the finality of his tone. He is about to go out and marry the love of his life. For real. And join their kingdoms.

Junmyeon senses his sudden rise in nervousness and pats his head gently.

“All is well, Your Highness. Today will go smoothly and our kingdoms will be joined at last” Junmyeon speaks officially, and Sehun almost wants to laugh at the seriousness of his tone. Junmyeon didn’t really suit being all serious and uptight all the time; he was a playful and cheerful man by nature and Sehun (as well as the other King’s) knew that he was a King more suit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter