IV - Unexpected

Three Crowns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Yixing reaches the servants’ chambers along with Minseok, it’s the state of the man that strikes him first.

Junmyeon wasn’t kidding, he’s only wearing some ripped trousers and a muddy, grey cloth cape.

 

He’s sat up on the bed, tired eyes observing them both for a few seconds before he notices the crown haphazardly balanced on Yixing’s unruly hair and his eyes widen significantly. He struggles to get to his feet to bow and Yixing raises a hand and shakes his head.


“Please, sit back down. From what I hear, you are exhausted” Yixing speaks and the man nods tiredly. Yixing smiles gently and signals for Minseok to stand guard outside of the door.

 

“Y-you are one of the Kings of this kingdom, are you not?” the man stutters quietly and Yixing nods, smiling again before mock bowing to him.


“King Yixing at your service, my good man” he grins and straightens the crown on his head. The man has the decency to snicker at his introduction and sit back more comfortably on the bed.

“I’ve been informed that you are Prince Huang Zitao?” he questions back, and the man nod.

“I.. Yes. From the Huang Kingdom of the East, sire” Zitao mumbles quietly and Yixing nods quickly.

“Is there any reason why you are so far from home, and not with your family, Prince Zitao?” Yixing asks and Zitao visibly flinches; so Yixing kneels in front of the frail man (He really has to make sure that he’s fed a lot while he’s here) and places a tentative hand on his knee.

 

“I… was um…” he trails and rubs the back of his neck, looking away anxiously. Yixing chooses not to say anything but rubs his thumb across his knee and nods at him to continue.


“My mother and father disowned me, you see. They found out that I have some… unusual qualities that are considered a work of something unholy, and told me that I was no longer considered their son or their prince” Zitao explains, his voice faltering a little here and there.

“May I ask, what the qualities are?” Yixing probes gently and Zitao’s lips press into a thin line, but he still continues on.



“I have the genes of a bloodsucker, Your Highness” he admits quietly and Yixing drops from his knees onto the floor with his mouth hanging open; and Zitao straightens, eyes wide with fear.


“Please do not run from me! I have never hurt anyone and I swear I would never taint anyone in this world, please please don’t send me away, Your Highness” Zitao begs and Yixing collects himself while adjusting on the floor.

“If these genes are not hereditary, then where did you gain them, young Prince?” Yixing breathes after regaining some sense of propriety and not just gaping at the young man.

“If I knew, perhaps I would not be sat in front of you, my king” he replies and Yixing considers this before nodding.

“Your parents banished you, I assume?” Yixing asks, and Zitao nods with tears filling his eyes.

“It was rumored in my country that the kingdom of Exo harbored the kindest three kings in the land, so… I thought it best I at least try” Zitao fumbles with his words and looks down at his feet.


“If… If I am too much of a burden then I will leave, I promise you I will not cause you anymore trouble” he begins to tremble and Yixing stands properly, straightening his back and holding out a hand

“It is not in my nature, nor my brothers, to turn away those in need, young prince” Yixing smiles and Zitao gratefully takes his hand and stands. The man stands quite a bit taller than Yixing himself, and it’s now more apparent that he has gashes on his legs and dirty feet.
 


“Did you… walk here? From the Huang kingdom?” Yixing asks incredulously and Zitao sheepishly nod

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter