₃₀₆

₃₀₆
Four Asian Dragons
Four Asian Dragons
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

 

Mister Lee Junki... we will give serious consideration to all your requests including ones concerning Shibasaki Kou... if and only if you provide us with useful intelligence. When your story is proven to be based on falsified information, that is when our negotiation ends. 

 

From what you have observed thus far, what can you tell us about the nature of Kim Jaejoong's relationship with Wang Xinling?

 

If you wish to know about those two... I guess... I should start somewhere from the beginning. It was during the war. People still remember it as the Season of Strife. The tension between the four Asian Dragons, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, and Taiwan, was on the verge of breaking. Ever since the reported infiltration of IT towers in Hong Kong and Singapore, the silent conflict grew. An enormous amount of sensitive data had been manipulated and some had even been destroyed... with no hope of salvaging. It was a nasty hit to their economy. As you know, those two own world-leading financial centers. Nearly seventy percent of international firms have footing in Hong Kong. While the other two, South Korea and Taiwan, are world leaders in information technology production.

 

Naturally, they'd begin to suspect their allies. Countries outside of the Pacific Rim were irrelevant. Singaporean intelligence claimed to have found evidence that it was the work of Taiwanese hackers. The facts are still unclear... but speculations were enough. Enough to start something big. Warnings were issued. Threats were made. It came to the point where government officials found the idea of framing one another more appealing than digging for the truth.

 

My brother and I were stationed in Taipei before the war. Relations had always been good between South Korea and Taiwan... but precautionary measures must be taken, always... just in case the good turn sour. And sure enough, it did. Protests every morning. Raids every afternoon. Violence every night. We worked apart, my brother and I. It lessened our chances of getting caught. He traveled to different provinces while I remained stationary within the capital. I later found out he was following a traveling troupe of actors, dancers, and singers. I assume that was where he met her, Wang Xinling. I've seen her perform once or twice when the trope passed through Taipei. She's a rather plain girl... when you meet her off stage. However, when she's on stage, deeply immersed in a role, she has the ability to enchant, evoke certain hidden emotions in the audience. There was no questioning it. She was the prima donna, the leading lady, of the troupe.

 

The two married during the war. And really... it was not the greatest time to get married... especially for a South Korean man and a Taiwanese woman. I couldn't understand them. I really couldn't. Most of the time, they didn't even act the way you would expect lovers to act. But... now and then, I'd catch them looking at each other. You know, just looks... no word exchange or skin-ship. Just looks... and I found myself feeling like a erted peeping tom for stumbling upon something so intimate. It's hard finding that special bond they shared... harder still to keep. I felt happy for them. I actually felt happy... even for my cold, proud brother. Six and a half months later, my niece was born. I can imagine she was the reason they married, but it'll forever remain a speculation.

 

Jaeling, my niece... she's the most beautiful little angel you will ever meet on Earth. She has her mother's large, round eyes and milk white skin. She has her father's long, dark lashes and thirst for adventure. It's a pity, really. Such a pity... that she had to die.

 

Six years passed after the birth of my little niece. Things had settled like dust. An uncomfortable peace resumed... until we found out Wang Xinling was Taiwanese intelligence from an anonymous tipper. The news must've been a huge shock to my brother. I assume the same person or group notified the other side. They found out my brother was a spy and everything rolled down hill to hell from there. As appalling as the information was, we, on both sides, had to silence as many people as we could. It was all of us against the two of them. We had to make it look like they had gone rogue, faulty, no longer part of the equation. You understand, don't you? If a South Korean spy is caught working with a Taiwanese spy, Hong Kong and Singapore will have undisputed rights to open up a public international investigation... and those... those never end well.

 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••